Anyone seen the transmission class action lawsuit?

Maybe its another thread but i havent seen it,

I couldnt have described what my truck does any better

December 24, 2018 — A General Motors 8-speed transmission lawsuit alleges fixes offered by the automaker haven't solved problems with hard shifting, shaking, jerking, hesitating and shuddering.

The proposed class-action lawsuit includes all consumers who purchased or leased the following vehicles in California, Florida, Illinois, New York, Oklahoma and Texas:

2015-2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017-2019 Chevrolet Colorado
2015-2019 Chevrolet Corvette
2016-2019 Chevrolet Camaro
2015-2019 Cadillac Escalade
2015-2019 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2016-2019 Cadillac ATS
2016-2019 Cadillac ATS-V
2016-2019 Cadillac CTS
2016-2019 Cadillac CT6
2016-2019 Cadillac CTS-V
2015-2019 GMC Sierra
2015-2019 GMC Yukon
2015-2019 GMC Yukon XL
2015-2019 GMC Yukon Denali XL
2017-2019 GMC Canyon
The GM vehicles are equipped with GM 8L45 or 8L90 automatic transmissions that allegedly hesitate when drivers accelerate or decelerate. Drivers claim the transmissions can shift so hard it feels like being hit by another vehicle. One owner claims the GM transmission shifted from REVERSE to DRIVE so harshly the vehicle almost went through the garage door.

Every "fix" offered by the automaker has allegedly failed to repair the shaking, shuddering and jerking, and the plaintiffs claim both the torque converters and transmissions cause problems with the hydraulic systems and gears.

Court documents claim metal shavings allegedly circulate throughout the transmissions and damage the components. Additionally, the plaintiffs claim the 8-speed transmissions cause consumers to face expensive repairs to flush the systems, and to replace the valve bodies, torque converters and finally the transmissions.

According to the proposed class-action lawsuit, General Motors has allegedly known about the 8-speed transmission problems because the automaker has issued multiple versions of technical service bulletins (TSBs) about the transmissions.

GM dealers have been told to perform certain repairs to fix the transmission issues, including performing the “clutch drive learn procedure, replace the valve body, replace the entire transmission, flush the cooler lines and cooler, remove debris from and clean the transmission pan, replace the transmission filter, replace the transmission fluid, and flush the transmission."

The lawsuit alleges no fix works and GM is fully aware of it, something allegedly reflected on repair orders. The plaintiffs say repair notes indicate, “GM is aware of concern and a release date of late January/February to correct issue.” Another repair order allegedly said, “no repair available until quarter 1 in 2019.”

According to the lawsuit, General Motors is doing nothing but stalling, buying time until vehicle warranties expire. The automaker also allegedly conceals from consumers the serious problems with the 8-speed transmissions even though dealers have been told.

GM issued a preliminary information bulletin (PIP5337) to dealerships about 8L90 transmissions entitled, “Shake or Shudder on Acceleration Excessive Engine RPM Fluctuation.”

The bulletin covered 2015-2016 Cadillac Escalades and Escalade ESVs, 2015-2016 Chevrolet Silverados and 2015-2016 GMC Sierras, Yukons and Yukon XLs. GM told technicians that customers may report, “A shudder feeling that may be described as driving over rumble strips or rough pavement.”

“These conditions may be caused by an internal torque converter issue. A revised torque converter that addresses these conditions will be available soon.”

In June 2016, GM issued TSB 16-NA-014, entitled “Delayed Engagement After Sitting With Engine Off" about 8L45 and 8L90 transmission. Technicians were told customers may complain about multiple issues: “Vehicle delaying into gear,” “Not wanting to move,” “Feeling like the transmission is slipping,” or “Delayed engagement followed by a harsh engagement.”

“This condition may be caused by the torque converter draining the transmission fluid back into the transmission pan.”

Technicians were told to replace parts of the transmission or pan.

The plaintiffs claim the automaker knew the 8-speed transmissions were wearing out early and causing metal shavings to build up in the transmission pans. This is allegedly reflected in TSB 16-NA-175 entitled, “Shake and/or Shudder During Light Throttle Acceleration, Between 48 and 104 KM/H (30 and 65 MPH) at a Steady State.”

GM technicians were told vehicles equipped with 8L90 transmissions could experience “A shudder feeling that may be described as driving over rumble strips or rough pavement.” Technicians were advised to flush the transmission with new fluid and “clean the pan/magnet if any metallic particles present and replace filter if debris is found.”

Another bulletin was issued in December 2017 allegedly claiming transmission shudders affected all 2015-2018 “GM passenger cars and trucks” equipped with 8L45 or 8L90 transmissions.

According to the lawsuit, GM technicians have also been told:

“Do NOT replace the torque converter or transmission assembly for this condition. Engineer reviews have proven that replacing the torque converter does not provide a long-term solution to TCC [torque converter clutch] shudder. A revised service procedure will be released in Q1 of 2019. If the vehicle experiences a repeat shudder condition, this document should be followed again.”

The plaintiffs also claim the automaker says the automatic transmissions are “adaptive” and need to “learn” the individual driving habits in order to shift smoothly.

The General Motors 8-speed transmission lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida - Duffy, et al., v. General Motors, Inc.

• Confused 1

Mine was purchased in Illinois.  But class action lawsuits are typically only good for the lawyers, so I expect to see no money.  Fortunately, mine hasn't had much of an issue though I only have 1300 miles on the truck.

• Like 1

Yes there is issues this is one of 4 major issues gm has had or is having. Trans and afm/DOD are fixable but good luck getting them to do it. As it cost to much and is mostly out of dealership ability. About same story with the shake in the DS and axles. Rear glass is also fixable.but again one gm admit6there is a issue they are on the hook for all the trucks and they don't want that so they fix case by case bases. 

If you read all the bulletins on you vin. You can win free prizes and part even as much as service. Knowledge makes life simpler and better. 

Oh and the vacuum pump for the brake booster is an class action. IMO that needs to be addressed as it isn't about if but rather when it goes out. As it takes out the line,pump,master brake booster and more. Saftey and cost. Really going to suck for people. I just assume switch to a lt1 pump setup. Cheap better and worlds safer. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Oh and the vacuum pump for the brake booster is an class action. IMO that needs to be addressed as it isn't about if but rather when it goes out. As it takes out the line,pump,master brake booster and more. Saftey and cost. Really going to suck for people. I just assume switch to a lt1 pump setup. Cheap better and worlds safer. 

I will be doing this mod once out of warranty.  I don't believe the pump is covered under powertrain, so I'll do it in 3 years.  And I will flip the f' out if they try denying a powertrain warranty claim with that swap.  

Yes!  Goggle it  One site has the complete court filing, its good reading.

One person describes the 8 speed as a disaster!

Its about time ,thank god we live in the USA

And we the people bailed out GM and this is what they give us?

Totally unacceptable.

I am in the middle of a GM buy back, not MSRP to MSRP , I want out of GM Vehicles.

My last repair order stated no further repairs available.

You cant stand behind your product??

Its like the 80's when US cars sucked and people flocked to foreign vehicles .

Hate to say it but I may be shopping for a Tacoma when all is said and done.

Good luck to all with 8 speed issues and feel free to post!  

• 2 months later...

Same experience at 44k

Mine is a 2015 6 speed that never shifted proper and now shudders

Anyone know if 6 speed is included or if a seperate action is started.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Gagliano7 said:

I think the shudder problem is the cause of the AFM.

Interesting.. I was thinking just the opposite. 

I think the AFM is the cause of the shudder problem. 

Also I get a shudder in my 6 speed sometimes. Usually  after coasting to about 30 MPH, then feathering the gas to maintain 30. Feels like its just 1 gear too steep.

so how do we get a piece of that.. or what are they going to be doing?.we'll get a letter in the mail or something?. i have a 16 gmc bought in texas... and I've been to the dealer 2 times for this issue.... it still does it....

• Like 1