Anyone seen the transmission class action lawsuit?

On 3/8/2019 at 1:20 PM, boilers said:

Interesting.. I was thinking just the opposite. 

I think the AFM is the cause of the shudder problem. 

Also I get a shudder in my 6 speed sometimes. Usually  after coasting to about 30 MPH, then feathering the gas to maintain 30. Feels like its just 1 gear too steep.

I worded it wrong i meant AFM cause the shudder. My 8 speed shifts perfect all the time with the range connected. With the range disconnected i get some shudder sometimes and i have only driven 25 miles with AFM active.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, boilers said:

Interesting.. I was thinking just the opposite. 

I think the AFM is the cause of the shudder problem. 

Also I get a shudder in my 6 speed sometimes. Usually  after coasting to about 30 MPH, then feathering the gas to maintain 30. Feels like its just 1 gear too steep.

That's a very specific set of circumstances and driver reactions don't you think? "Doctor, it hurts when I do this". Doc says, "Don't do that"! 

Seriously I have one small hill coming into Monroe Illinois where the speed limit changes from 55 to 40. If I cancel the cruise control  as I reach the change of speed limit warning sign 500 feet earlier and coast to 40  it will reach the very base of this 2% hill exactly as I hit the cruise button again. Timed like that it will still be in AFM and just above the down shift point leaving it a gear to tall to pull the hill with the AFM active. The response I suppose is what most here call the 'shutter'. So....I don't do that. 

Coast to 39, tap the cruise and give the up button one click up to 40, it drops a gear smartly....smooth a silk, and the only place within 500 miles of home it has ever done it but I can make it do it every time. I can also avoid it every time.

I don't see this as a GM screwed up and needs to buy my truck back issue. The AFM doesn't 'cause a shutter'. Being in a gear to tall for the power on hand for the task? Just like starting up a hill from a dead stop with a manual four speed in third gear and it getting Silly Willy isn't a design flaw. It's an operator error. 

GM can tighten every loose nut in a truck except the one behind the wheel. :rolleyes: (C'mon man, where's your sense of humor) :P

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

That's a very specific set of circumstances and driver reactions don't you think? "Doctor, it hurts when I do this". Doc says, "Don't do that"! 

Seriously I have one small hill coming into Monroe Illinois where the speed limit changes from 55 to 40. If I cancel the cruise control  as I reach the change of speed limit warning sign 500 feet earlier and coast to 40  it will reach the very base of this 2% hill exactly as I hit the cruise button again. Timed like that it will still be in AFM and just above the down shift point leaving it a gear to tall to pull the hill with the AFM active. The response I suppose is what most here call the 'shutter'. So....I don't do that. 

Coast to 39, tap the cruise and give the up button one click up to 40, it drops a gear smartly....smooth a silk, and the only place within 500 miles of home it has ever done it but I can make it do it every time. I can also avoid it every time.

I don't see this as a GM screwed up and needs to buy my truck back issue. The AFM doesn't 'cause a shutter'. Being in a gear to tall for the power on hand for the task? Just like starting up a hill from a dead stop with a manual four speed in third gear and it getting Silly Willy isn't a design flaw. It's an operator error. 

GM can tighten every loose nut in a truck except the one behind the wheel. :rolleyes: (C'mon man, where's your sense of humor) :P

I agree that it can be easily avoided and it definitely isn’t a “buy my truck back” situation for me. That said, it’s an automatic transmission. We should not have to manipulate our driving style/technique to prevent the truck from choosing the wrong gear in a flat or slight grade situation. It’s likely a simple setpoint adjustment. In X gear, below X rpm, below X speed, don’t activate AFM. A steep hill is whole different thing where if you want to maintain speed you have to press the pedal harder to force a downshift. I think GM could get a little smarter in these situations. If a guy is going up a hill and maintains throttle position or increases it, the computer should constantly assess the grade and speed and downshift to the proper gear to maintain speed... similar to how it does when cruise is active, only the computer would have no control over the throttle, just gear selection. Obviously if you reduce throttle at any time going up a hill, you may be approaching a stop sign or something and the computer should abort any effort to maintain speed. 

Maybe its all just a fuel efficiency thing... GM makes it go into the steeper gear to increase fuel economy... GM doesn’t automatically adjust gear select for hills because they know not everyone will mash the pedal to force a downshift and it helps fuel economy. Either way, it’s super annoying trying to go up a hill and people don’t maintain speed. 

Edited by boilers

Well........damn I hate to have to add this but...on my way home (an hour ago) from Crestview Florida, I had an empty stretch of 4 lane roadway. Was doing 65 (posted speed limit) and literally nobody else around. So I decided to open her up and put the pedal down, not floored but down a good ways. It started at about 68mph and up to 90mph; the truck was shuddering. It's never done this before. I haven't done this enough to say its a habit. Anyway, as soon as I ease off the accelerator the shuddering goes away and it is smooth as silk, give it gas and it does it over and over. Feel it in the seat, not the steering wheel. It does not do this even on a hard WOT launch, it only starts at about 68mph and only under acceleration. Now I have added a Pedal Commander and the Range AFM disable since the last time I did this sort of driving, I will remove them tonight and see if this is somehow causing this new phenomenon. I can't guarantee a follow-up right away because it is RARE that I get a roadway that is empty and I do not endanger others. Some will point to the Pedal Commander and/or the Range but my suspicions are the transmission is starting to get the shudder others have had or still have. No CEL and no shaking at those speeds so it's not the tires.  

20 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Well........damn I hate to have to add this but...on my way home (an hour ago) from Crestview Florida, I had an empty stretch of 4 lane roadway. Was doing 65 (posted speed limit) and literally nobody else around. So I decided to open her up and put the pedal down, not floored but down a good ways. It started at about 68mph and up to 90mph; the truck was shuddering. It's never done this before. I haven't done this enough to say its a habit. Anyway, as soon as I ease off the accelerator the shuddering goes away and it is smooth as silk, give it gas and it does it over and over. Feel it in the seat, not the steering wheel. It does not do this even on a hard WOT launch, it only starts at about 68mph and only under acceleration. Now I have added a Pedal Commander and the Range AFM disable since the last time I did this sort of driving, I will remove them tonight and see if this is somehow causing this new phenomenon. I can't guarantee a follow-up right away because it is RARE that I get a roadway that is empty and I do not endanger others. Some will point to the Pedal Commander and/or the Range but my suspicions are the transmission is starting to get the shudder others have had or still have. No CEL and no shaking at those speeds so it's not the tires.  

Could be the unpainted fender bracket, more weight on the drivers side due to that bracket being painted? How often do you drive on the stretch of road that you were on? Maybe take your other car down the same road at the same speed, just for comparison.

Just now, JimCost2014 said:

Could be the unpainted fender bracket, more weight on the drivers side due to that bracket being painted? How often do you drive on the stretch of road that you were on? Maybe take your other car down the same road at the same speed, just for comparison.

I drive that road weekly so I am familiar with it, I don't do 90mph every time but that's really the only place I feel comfortable doing it. It didn't feel as violent as rumple strips, more like those traffic counter lines they stretch across the roadways, but like a thousand of them spaced out evenly.

5 hours ago, boilers said:

I agree that it can be easily avoided and it definitely isn’t a “buy my truck back” situation for me. That said, it’s an automatic transmission. We should not have to manipulate our driving style/technique to prevent the truck from choosing the wrong gear in a flat or slight grade situation. It’s likely a simple setpoint adjustment. In X gear, below X rpm, below X speed, don’t activate AFM. A steep hill is whole different thing where if you want to maintain speed you have to press the pedal harder to force a downshift. I think GM could get a little smarter in these situations. If a guy is going up a hill and maintains throttle position or increases it, the computer should constantly assess the grade and speed and downshift to the proper gear to maintain speed... similar to how it does when cruise is active, only the computer would have no control over the throttle, just gear selection. Obviously if you reduce throttle at any time going up a hill, you may be approaching a stop sign or something and the computer should abort any effort to maintain speed. 

Maybe its all just a fuel efficiency thing... GM makes it go into the steeper gear to increase fuel economy... GM doesn’t automatically adjust gear select for hills because they know not everyone will mash the pedal to force a downshift and it helps fuel economy. Either way, it’s super annoying trying to go up a hill and people don’t maintain speed. 

No argument their. However that, as you mention, is a tuning issue and not a mechanical flaw. These things are programed to hold a gear till the cows come home if GM thinks that it will cough up a tenth of an MPG. They all do that and Black Bear or similar is the cure for that ill.

Mine improved with age. They are constantly learning and adapting. It does a few things I'd like to see some improvement in or just modify but overall. I really REALLY like my six speed.  

On 12/27/2018 at 8:09 AM, jamin87ss said:

Maybe its another thread but i havent seen it,

I couldnt have described what my truck does any better

December 24, 2018 — A General Motors 8-speed transmission lawsuit alleges fixes offered by the automaker haven't solved problems with hard shifting, shaking, jerking, hesitating and shuddering.

The proposed class-action lawsuit includes all consumers who purchased or leased the following vehicles in California, Florida, Illinois, New York, Oklahoma and Texas:

2015-2019 Chevrolet Silverado

My '18 seems to slam into 2nd gear, ALL THE TIME.  Never noticed it on my '15.  I want in on this action.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, SS502 said:

Okay, I can now remove myself from this thread...I found the root cause of my issues and it turned out (for me) to be the Pedal Commander (see thread below if you get bored) not playing nice with my truck. It is not a Pedal Commander trashing thread either, I will still tell you that it worked GREAT in town and while towing, just didn't work for me at the upper end of performance expectations. My transmission is fine...so far :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...
On 12/27/2018 at 6:34 PM, Canyon Conundrum said:

Yes!  Goggle it  One site has the complete court filing, its good reading.

One person describes the 8 speed as a disaster!

Its about time ,thank god we live in the USA

And we the people bailed out GM and this is what they give us?

Totally unacceptable.

I am in the middle of a GM buy back, not MSRP to MSRP , I want out of GM Vehicles.

My last repair order stated no further repairs available.

You cant stand behind your product??

Its like the 80's when US cars sucked and people flocked to foreign vehicles .

Hate to say it but I may be shopping for a Tacoma when all is said and done.

Good luck to all with 8 speed issues and feel free to post!  

What ever happened with your buyback? I have an 8 speed with the same problems and would love a buyback. 4 times I brought it to the dealer and 4 times they didn't find a problem. HUH..

On 12/27/2018 at 6:34 PM, Canyon Conundrum said:

The saga continues-

Let me back track a bit

Torque convertor replaced  Aug 2018,

Fluid flush done after that (old fluid not updated fluid)

A reprogram after that

Shudder came back after all 3 repairs

(Shudder,fishbite,chuggle are all terms used for describing torque convertor lock up clutch issues)

Then the "no further repairs available"

After filing with BBB in Dec 2018 GM agreed to a MSRP to MSRP trade with me paying any increases

(more options than I had)

I have a 2017 GMC Canyon,I picked out a new 2018 Canyon.

I took it overnite (thank god) and found it doing the same thing!!

Brought it back to dealer and went to arbitration with BBB

Had arbitration hearing at BBB office  GM represented themselves by phone and offer a "fix" with a new updated transmission fluid.I accepted

By now its Feb 2019

Had new fluid flush done in April 2019  was good for a while then shudder slowly came back

(Dealer was slow to get new fluid in)

Back to dealer  they said "slight chuggle felt, this is not a shudder"  (aug 2019)

Back to dealer again to have a Field Service Engineer to test drive.

To quote him "transmission performing as designed"

Back to BBB ,reopened case, its pending   (oct 2019)

Now I have 5 tries to fix it

Now I am requesting a buy back-

Good thing I don't have any guns in the house!

36K for all this!

Unbelievable!

Good luck

Let me know if I can be of help

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck. Just opened my case with BBB. 3 repair attempts with recall. Does recall count towards lemon ? I  am done with this truck. I have cracking and popping suspension. Noises under the dash. Seat movement. Ridiculous for a 60k denali

Edited by Joppy818

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, Joppy818 said:

Good luck. Just opened my case with BBB. 3 repair attempts with recall. Does recall count towards lemon ? I  am done with this truck. I have cracking and popping suspension. Noises under the dash. Seat movement. Ridiculous for a 60k denali

Sooo, you trade it in or get it fixed?

Must be a reason behind some of your issues.

Kinda important to do preventative maintenance on trucks to keep them right.