Anyone seen the transmission class action lawsuit?

probably wiped out your transmission pump, this is the big issue when metal and clutch materials flow out of the torque converter and gets into the pumps vain's. it scores the pump to hell, not too mention the pump is integral to the bell housing, big repair job bad engineering. delicate design.. kinda like all cars nowadays. they're engiineered to fail and not be robust

if you dont mind poor mpg, get a torque converter that doesnt use a clutch, and have the tcc disabled in the software

Edited by pokismoki

On 12/27/2018 at 11:09 AM, jamin87ss said:

Maybe its another thread but i havent seen it,

I couldnt have described what my truck does any better

December 24, 2018 — A General Motors 8-speed transmission lawsuit alleges fixes offered by the automaker haven't solved problems with hard shifting, shaking, jerking, hesitating and shuddering.

The proposed class-action lawsuit includes all consumers who purchased or leased the following vehicles in California, Florida, Illinois, New York, Oklahoma and Texas:

2015-2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017-2019 Chevrolet Colorado
2015-2019 Chevrolet Corvette
2016-2019 Chevrolet Camaro
2015-2019 Cadillac Escalade
2015-2019 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2016-2019 Cadillac ATS
2016-2019 Cadillac ATS-V
2016-2019 Cadillac CTS
2016-2019 Cadillac CT6
2016-2019 Cadillac CTS-V
2015-2019 GMC Sierra
2015-2019 GMC Yukon
2015-2019 GMC Yukon XL
2015-2019 GMC Yukon Denali XL
2017-2019 GMC Canyon
The GM vehicles are equipped with GM 8L45 or 8L90 automatic transmissions that allegedly hesitate when drivers accelerate or decelerate. Drivers claim the transmissions can shift so hard it feels like being hit by another vehicle. One owner claims the GM transmission shifted from REVERSE to DRIVE so harshly the vehicle almost went through the garage door.

Every "fix" offered by the automaker has allegedly failed to repair the shaking, shuddering and jerking, and the plaintiffs claim both the torque converters and transmissions cause problems with the hydraulic systems and gears.

Court documents claim metal shavings allegedly circulate throughout the transmissions and damage the components. Additionally, the plaintiffs claim the 8-speed transmissions cause consumers to face expensive repairs to flush the systems, and to replace the valve bodies, torque converters and finally the transmissions.

According to the proposed class-action lawsuit, General Motors has allegedly known about the 8-speed transmission problems because the automaker has issued multiple versions of technical service bulletins (TSBs) about the transmissions.

GM dealers have been told to perform certain repairs to fix the transmission issues, including performing the “clutch drive learn procedure, replace the valve body, replace the entire transmission, flush the cooler lines and cooler, remove debris from and clean the transmission pan, replace the transmission filter, replace the transmission fluid, and flush the transmission."

The lawsuit alleges no fix works and GM is fully aware of it, something allegedly reflected on repair orders. The plaintiffs say repair notes indicate, “GM is aware of concern and a release date of late January/February to correct issue.” Another repair order allegedly said, “no repair available until quarter 1 in 2019.”

According to the lawsuit, General Motors is doing nothing but stalling, buying time until vehicle warranties expire. The automaker also allegedly conceals from consumers the serious problems with the 8-speed transmissions even though dealers have been told.

GM issued a preliminary information bulletin (PIP5337) to dealerships about 8L90 transmissions entitled, “Shake or Shudder on Acceleration Excessive Engine RPM Fluctuation.”

The bulletin covered 2015-2016 Cadillac Escalades and Escalade ESVs, 2015-2016 Chevrolet Silverados and 2015-2016 GMC Sierras, Yukons and Yukon XLs. GM told technicians that customers may report, “A shudder feeling that may be described as driving over rumble strips or rough pavement.”

“These conditions may be caused by an internal torque converter issue. A revised torque converter that addresses these conditions will be available soon.”

In June 2016, GM issued TSB 16-NA-014, entitled “Delayed Engagement After Sitting With Engine Off" about 8L45 and 8L90 transmission. Technicians were told customers may complain about multiple issues: “Vehicle delaying into gear,” “Not wanting to move,” “Feeling like the transmission is slipping,” or “Delayed engagement followed by a harsh engagement.”

“This condition may be caused by the torque converter draining the transmission fluid back into the transmission pan.”

Technicians were told to replace parts of the transmission or pan.

The plaintiffs claim the automaker knew the 8-speed transmissions were wearing out early and causing metal shavings to build up in the transmission pans. This is allegedly reflected in TSB 16-NA-175 entitled, “Shake and/or Shudder During Light Throttle Acceleration, Between 48 and 104 KM/H (30 and 65 MPH) at a Steady State.”

GM technicians were told vehicles equipped with 8L90 transmissions could experience “A shudder feeling that may be described as driving over rumble strips or rough pavement.” Technicians were advised to flush the transmission with new fluid and “clean the pan/magnet if any metallic particles present and replace filter if debris is found.”

Another bulletin was issued in December 2017 allegedly claiming transmission shudders affected all 2015-2018 “GM passenger cars and trucks” equipped with 8L45 or 8L90 transmissions.

According to the lawsuit, GM technicians have also been told:

“Do NOT replace the torque converter or transmission assembly for this condition. Engineer reviews have proven that replacing the torque converter does not provide a long-term solution to TCC [torque converter clutch] shudder. A revised service procedure will be released in Q1 of 2019. If the vehicle experiences a repeat shudder condition, this document should be followed again.”

The plaintiffs also claim the automaker says the automatic transmissions are “adaptive” and need to “learn” the individual driving habits in order to shift smoothly.

The General Motors 8-speed transmission lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida - Duffy, et al., v. General Motors, Inc.

2019 LT silverado 5.3L   40K miles.  Recently started shimmy / shake at gradual speed acceleration.  Feels like rumble strips or rough pavement.  Sometimes it shifts very very hard - almost lurching forward.  

My mechanic says its a common GM problem and will likely need tranny replaced.  I bought a extended warranty thru the dealer, will they give me any ****** about it at the dealership? 

I did add a k&n cold air intake and a cat back but that shouldn't cause this BS.

Would it void the warranty to just run some sea foam tranny additive to it? 

On 7/14/2020 at 2:50 PM, SmasherP said:

Just starting to get this problem with my 2017 Silverado 6 speed. It has 26000 miles on it and is beginning to shudder in mornings, at 30 mph and after about an 20 min. of driving it’s starts to calm down. Any suggestions on what I should do and what route I should take. I’ve taken it to tow different dealers and one person felt it but would not talk to me about it. Both dealers said there was nothing wrong with it. 

My 2017 Silverado had some problems. Downshift was hard. Driving on straight roads at highway speeds, when I let off the gas to slow down I'd get the rumble strip effect. When I accelerated back to speed, upshift felt like the rear end was going to drop out. Towing my 20' enclosed trailer was no fun. At 9,000 miles I'd had enough. Took it to the dealer. Service had it overnight. Next day got a call from service. Seems while the tech was road testing, the trans overheated and went to limp mode. Took them two days for GM to ok repair on a truck still under warranty. The fix, drain fluid, flush, remove metal from pan, replace torque converter, replace filter, replace some valves. Road test good. It took a week to get a torque converter since no one had one in stock. Supposedly GM to one off the assembly line. I should say when I took the truck in I stopped to talk to my salesman who is also a very good friend. He immediately knew what the deal was and told me it was a known problem. Got the truck back. It ran fine for about two months then the same problems started over. Dealer service said they could do nothing more w/o GM ok. In October 2019, I traded it in. I told the salesman exactly what happened ans showed him my copy of the repair. They still paid off the remaining loan and kicked in another $5,000 on the new Sierra.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Class action lawsuits only benefit the attorneys.
It's always been that way.
One would be fortunate to get any relief regarding the specific issue.
If anyone here has a different experience, let me know, please.

Edited by MikeBMW

3 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

Class action lawsuits only benefit the attorneys.
It's always been that way.
One would be fortunate to get any relief regarding the specific issue.
If anyone here has a different experience, let me know, please.

And they often take many years to settle, 10 yrs+-.  I got a notice last year, as I recall, about a settlement in a class action lawsuit involving some expensive (at the time) electronic item that is today obsolete.  The lawyers and courts got millions and every registered owner got a $50 discount on a current product. Worthless, process to claim the discount was not worth your time if if there was a product you wanted to buy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, orangedeluxe said:

Just got a 2015 Sierra and I’m having shuddering issues.  Did anyone ever get a solution to this?!

Change all of the fluid to the new recommended fluid for your truck.  Put your VIN in here and have a look:

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

If that does not fix the issue, replace the torque converter.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 1:07 AM, orangedeluxe said:

Just got a 2015 Sierra and I’m having shuddering issues.  Did anyone ever get a solution to this?!

Lotsa videos on youtube on doing this yourself. I just did it last week. Changed filter, gasket and temp harness at the same time. Fluid seems to work. Rock Auto seems to have good prices for fluid. eBay for the filter/gasket/harness

• 1 year later...

I see about the shuttering but what about the torque converter for the 6L80e and 6L90e transmissions. No matter how well you serivice the transmission they will fail in less then 150k miles. Mainly you only get 2 services before they fail. The issue comes down to the put a termostat on the trans that runs the trans to 180 degrees before it allows the trans to cool. Over heating a trans is at 195. It causes excessive wear on the converter and it fails sending metal frgments in through the transmission. This is a design failure not a part failure. Gm needs to own up. 7100 for a new transmission. I been fighting with GM and they are agreeing to pay some buy still puts out of my pocket to be 4100. I feel they need to extensd 0ower train waranty to 150k. My transmission has always been serviced at a gm dealer and have performed all recommended services. And the kicker is gm sells a 140 degree thermostat but does not tell anyone or recommend changing it. It is a 100 dollar part that takes less then 30 minutes to replace. So if gm did the recommendation transmission upgrade would cost at most 500 to save you 7100 dollars. 

28 minutes ago, 2015 silverado 6l80e said:

And the kicker is gm sells a 140 degree thermostat but does not tell anyone or recommend changing it. It is a 100 dollar part that takes less then 30 minutes to replace. So if gm did the recommendation transmission upgrade would cost at most 500 to save you 7100 dollars. 

It's actually a 158⁰ thermostat but I agree it should have been done from the beginning. And $500 is a bit high for the changeover. The part #86774933 can be found online for just over $55 and is DIY friendly as long as you have even the minimal mechanical skills. It's more like less than 15 minutes to do it yourself.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

It's actually a 158⁰ thermostat but I agree it should have been done from the beginning. And $500 is a bit high for the changeover. The part #86774933 can be found online for just over $55 and is DIY friendly as long as you have even the minimal mechanical skills. It's more like less than 15 minutes to do it yourself.

Still, you're gonna want a transmission fluid change at the time.
Might wanna go through this thread.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

Still, you're gonna want a transmission fluid change at the time.
Might wanna go through this thread.

I didn't exactly do the trans fluid change when I did mine. I had done a trans fluid change in Oct 2020 at 49k miles. I swapped out the Trans thermostat about a year later in Nov 2021 at probably around 61k miles. I discovered that I had lost one of the o-rings for the trans line during the swap but of course, not until I had driven about 50 miles including about 40 miles on the highway and had lost a bunch of trans fluid along the way and undercoated my truck with trans fluid... I ended up having to replace just over 4qts of fluid. So I guess I did a partial change, LOL! 😬

• Like 1