• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Same message on my 2019 AT4 comes on when I turn the truck off. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the module and reprogramed it. It was fine for a few days and its back on again. I guess I will be taking it back.  Service writer acted like he has never heard of it.  

This happened to me 3-4 days ago. About 1400 miles on the truck.  (2020 Silverado 3.0). While waiting in the 40-minute line to exit the parking garage at work — was on the decline from 3rd floor to 2nd floor. I put the truck in park, and could not get it out of park when the line moved again.  No amount of rotating the steering wheel (it moved freely) helped. I shut off/restarted the truck. Still stuck. (Started to get nervous at this point). I released the brake pedal and pressed it to the floor. No good. 

Finally, I turned on the parking brake, that freed it instantly (also, I prayed). Thank God, otherwise there would have been a massive amount of teed-off people stuck behind me waiting on a tow. 

There were no warning lights. I had remote-started the truck with the key fob (not the app). 

Has not happened since, but this morning, on start up on level ground, the “service steering column lock” warning appeared on the DIC for 2 seconds and disappeared. No other symptoms, just the warning. 

If I take it in now, pretty sure the dealer “won’t be able to replicate,” and it’ll be a big waste of time.

Just had this thing lock up on me again. Stopped at a light in traffic, put the truck in park so that I could pick up something that had fallen on the passenger-side floor. Stupid, stupid, stupid move. 

Truck would not go back into drive! Steering wheel moved freely, no amount of cycling the ignition or turning on the parking brake or pumping the brakes would release the interlock. 

Thought I was going to break the shifter.

Finally called OnStar (to see if they could offer a remedy or send a wrecker) while on hold with them, the damn thing released! After 3 traffic light cycles and several pi$$ed off people around me (rush hour). It was an awesome experience!

I had released the tilt/telescope lever and while moving the steering wheel violently around, the interlock released. 

Guess it’s going in for service next week. Not even 2k miles!

It’s a 2020, so much for waiting for them to work out the “first-year bugs” LOL. 

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

bought me a 2021 rst silverado 1500 yeaterday, went out to start this morning and got a message to service steering column lock, and set key here and retry, with foot on break and holding in the start button it then reads no key found, i can start remotely twice, now not at all, when it did start i could not get out of gear, and yes i was pushing on break pedal, waiting on the dealer to show up now, what to do

• 1 year later...

This just happens to me on my 2022.5 Silverado 

remote started with the app

screen went black and would not get out of park

message on dash now says service steering lock

i had to disconnect the battery and reconnect it to be able to drive

message is still there

truck is 2 months old

i have 900 miles. 

• 1 year later...