LIMELIGHT'S BUILD THREAD

Limelight

Hello folks!

I just took delivery of my new truck- 2019 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 in Summit White!  I love this truck!  I would like to introduce myself...

I am coming from a well loved 2011 Toyota 4Runner which I modified extensively and had many, many adventures with off road. That thing was a tank- never back to the dealer in 155,000 miles!   My username on t4r.org was "Antman" and  my build thread has over 1 million views!   Very bittersweet leaving that forum and I met many friends along the way. I hope to be able to contribute to this community as I did over there- I am known for some off the wall ideas, lol.

The switch to the Chevy is one of necessity.  I need more towing capacity first and foremost, and not having a truck for hauling large items is a PITA sometimes.   I'm not really quite sure where this will go- I swore the 4Runner would stay stock, but that didn't happen at all!   I can't leave anything alone it seems but this Silverado is so nice!!   

Very minor stuff so far, but I've already removed the chin spoiler and tinted the front windows.  I've been scoping out places to mount my ARB onboard compressor as well.   I like to share my mods too- I made a ton of how-to writeups on t4r.

I look forward to interacting with all of you!  Pic of the night I took delivery, and my beloved 4Runner! (I am also known for very poor photography, lol)

-Jeff

FNGX1800.JPG

285.jpg

Edited by Limelight
  • Like 6

Welcome Jeff. Looking forward to the build! Already have it started! Post some of the 4runner too! I'd venture to the site, but I know I'll become intrigued and spend the night browsing haha. Anyway, enjoy the endless capabilities of a truck. I've clocked over 160k on my 15 Sierra. I'm sure your new truck is built at least a little better. Maintain it, drive it like you stole it, and repeat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Limelight said:

Hello folks!

I just took delivery of my new truck- 2019 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 in Summit White!  I love this truck!  I would like to introduce myself...

I am coming from a well loved 2011 Toyota 4Runner which I modified extensively and had many, many adventures with off road. That thing was a tank- never back to the dealer in 155,000 miles!   My username on t4r.org was "Antman" and  my build thread has over 1 million views!   Very bittersweet leaving that forum and I met many friends along the way. I hope to be able to contribute to this community as I did over there- I am known for some off the wall ideas, lol.

The switch to the Chevy is one of necessity.  I need more towing capacity first and foremost, and not having a truck for hauling large items is a PITA sometimes.   I'm not really quite sure where this will go- I swore the 4Runner would stay stock, but that didn't happen at all!   I can't leave anything alone it seems but this Silverado is so nice!!   

Very minor stuff so far, but I've already removed the chin spoiler and tinted the front windows.  I've been scoping out places to mount my ARB onboard compressor as well.   I like to share my mods too- I made a ton of how-to writeups on t4r.

I look forward to interacting with all of you!  Pic of the night I took delivery, and my beloved 4Runner! (I am also known for very poor photography, lol)

-Jeff

FNGX1800.JPG

285.jpg

Congratulations! She's a beaut!!

• Like 1

Hey Limelite, nice truck.  I have the ARB CKMTA12 I installed into my tool box in the back.  The problem is the wiring kit they provide is way too short.  I had to buy 8 AWG cable and make my own.   I plan on not using the switch they provide as I do not want that huge ugly thing anywhere in my nice interior..lol.  I have a factory switch bank i plan on using (separate thread here).  My question to you, if you have experience with these, is on the loom for the switch.  There is no relay.  Is there a relay by the compressors, or do i have to run the two switch wires from the unit to a relay before the switch?

When i hooked  up my light bar to these switches I needed relay.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:17 PM, tooch420 said:

Hey Limelite, nice truck.  I have the ARB CKMTA12 I installed into my tool box in the back.  The problem is the wiring kit they provide is way too short.  I had to buy 8 AWG cable and make my own.   I plan on not using the switch they provide as I do not want that huge ugly thing anywhere in my nice interior..lol.  I have a factory switch bank i plan on using (separate thread here).  My question to you, if you have experience with these, is on the loom for the switch.  There is no relay.  Is there a relay by the compressors, or do i have to run the two switch wires from the unit to a relay before the switch?

When i hooked  up my light bar to these switches I needed relay.

Hey there!

Thanks for the compliment!   Their wiring harness was designed by some overthinking engineer- I took the whole thing apart and made a new one.  Did you see my other post?  I'll include the pic here in case you didn't.

I'm not finished, but yes, I ran 8 ga as well from a 50a circuit breaker mounted under the hood,  It ties into an aux fuse panel that will be used for future projects as well.  Now to answer your question, lol.

Yes, you will need a relay for the switch.  Basically you wire hot wire into switch (however you want to power it, ignition only or hot always).  This circuit should be protected by a 5a fuse as it's ultimately only switching the relay.  The output from the switch will plug into the ARB air solenoid.  The other terminal on the ARB solenoid will attach to the relay.  Ground the relay (and the switch if it's lit).  Main 8ga power goes into the relay (40a fused) and out directly to the compressor 10ga feed.  Black 10ga at compressor gets grounded.  It sounds like a lot but it's a very simple circuit.

In the pic my switch is mounted behind the compressor vertically, and I need to change the fuses.  Still a WIP.    Hope this helps you!

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

Edited by Limelight
  • Like 1

Well, I now have onboard air!  My ARB CMKA12 compressor install is complete.

I decided to mount the compressor in the truck because it's subjected to much less heat than in the engine compartment.  I mounted it in the GM Accessories underseat storage bin.  I also ran 8ga power from the battery into the compartment to an auxiliary fuse panel.  I'll use this for future projects- specifically my ARB fridge mounted in the bed.  I like to do a lot of camping and once you get used to an onboard fridge it's hard to go back to a cooler!  Back on topic...

I ran a push button switch for the compressor relay in the compartment.  The compressor also has a pressure switch so it cycles on and off as needed.  For those that don't know- these little compressors are a world above most- fast, quiet and efficient.

Here are some pics!

Waterproof 50a Circuit Breaker under the hood to power the fuseblock.  I used the battery tie-down bolt with a starboard mounting block.  it's easy to move out of the way if I need to change the battery and it's secure.  This breaker has a nice disconnect push button too.

IMG_5094.thumb.JPG.bd7c470eed80dacb83534ed43c7d94a1.JPGIMG_5092.thumb.JPG.84315aa3f16dda018ed13d069f27c8fe.JPG

Cool man, looks good.  Actually I called ARB and they told me there are relays in the setup, thats why they did not send me any.  I have the one with two compressors, 100% duty cycle.  So all i needed to do was run my 8 AWG from the box in back to under the hood, with 2 fuse holders.  I can ditch the switch wiring harness as it has way too much i will not use, and just run 2 leads from the compressor setup to my switch by the dash.  this needs to be hooked to a latching relay, then to the momentary switch in the dash.  

i will post pictures when i get it done, its taking few weekend as time is short...as I'm sure you know...lol

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 5:51 PM, Limelight said:

Here's the compressor under the seat.  I need to find a free photo sharing website so I can post more pics...)

IMG_5104.thumb.JPG.43ab7d65165f7ba291d759e82850b550.JPG

Imgur! I've used them since PhotoBucket went full chump and Imgur works well

• Thanks 1