Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Terry Schmitt said:

I just received a email back and she says this " As we discussed, I reached out to our team of Engineers concerning the ringing/chirping noise. I was advised it is still under engineering investigation and there is not an update at this time."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, B.R.67 said:

I have a 2019 RST 5.3 8 speed SU 4 axle leased it in June of 2019. At 400 miles it was making the axle noise. Waited for a year to get parts and had to file a claim with the BBB. They put parts in it 2two times in July of 2020 and I thought it was fixed. I  drove to North Carolina this week and it is back. Not as bad as it was but it is there. I cannot GM is still putting these trucks out there with no fix.I have had a lot of issues with this truck I have owned Silverados and Sierras my entire life but after this truck and GM response to these issues I will  have to try another brand a year front now when my lease is up.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Terry Schmitt said:

I just received a email back and she says this " As we discussed, I reached out to our team of Engineers concerning the ringing/chirping noise. I was advised it is still under engineering investigation and there is not an update at this time."

FWIW I took mine into the dealership yesterday and they confirmed PIP5653 and that they cannot repair it as there isn't an available repair due to GM Engineering still investigating a fix.  One of the service advisors knew exactly what I was talking about as his 2019 Silverado makes the same noise.  Two years for him experiencing the issue and waiting for a fix as well.  I feel bad for the dealership as they are in a position to not fix it but know there is a problem. 

 

I also confirmed that PIP5653 is available on NHTSA website per obligated reporting of dealer notifications by OEMs to dealers, however there is no active TSB for this issue.  When I contacted GM today to file a complaint, the customer service team couldn't identify any open issues related to "jingle/clink/squeak noise for front end".  

 

I also confirmed that the driver's side axle has "play" in it whereas the passenger side axle is tight as a drum with no movement.

 

I am now negotiating with the dealership for buy back/exchange of the truck but it is a CPO (Certified Pre Owned) that is 4 days old for me.  Means they can't exchange it per GM rules.  So I filed a complaint with the dealer as the loose CV axle passed their certified inspection when it clearly shouldn't have.  I also filed a complaint with GM who has opened a case number but I'm not confident it will go anywhere as they've ignored this issue for 3 model years worth of Silverados, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades with the American Axle Manufacturing supplied SU4 axle.  The noise is disappointing enough, but I'm more concerned about the durability and safety of a CV axle bouncing around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, B.R.67 said:

I have a 2019 RST 5.3 8 speed SU 4 axle leased it in June of 2019. At 400 miles it was making the axle noise. Waited for a year to get parts and had to file a claim with the BBB. They put parts in it 2two times in July of 2020 and I thought it was fixed. I  drove to North Carolina this week and it is back. Not as bad as it was but it is there. I cannot GM is still putting these trucks out there with no fix.I have had a lot of issues with this truck I have owned Silverados and Sierras my entire life but after this truck and GM response to these issues I will  have to try another brand a year front now when my lease is up.

I have a 2021 RST 5.3L with 11,000 miles and equipped with the SU4 axle.  Purchased it certified pre-owned 4 days ago and had the issue confirmed at the dealer yesterday, but I am outside of their exchange window so they say I needed to work with GM.  I went to GM and they said I need to work with the dealer.  So I've filed complaints with both:  The dealer for neglecting to identify a loose CV axle during its 172 point certified inspection and GM for buying back the vehicle which has a known defect.

 

I'm not confident it will go anywhere as they've ignored this issue for 3 model years worth of Silverados, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades with the American Axle Manufacturing supplied SU4 axle.  The noise is disappointing enough, but I'm more concerned about the durability and safety of a CV axle bouncing around.  What happens if the axle somehow locks up the differential at highway speed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Chris Panke said:

FWIW I took mine into the dealership yesterday and they confirmed PIP5653 and that they cannot repair it as there isn't an available repair due to GM Engineering still investigating a fix.  One of the service advisors knew exactly what I was talking about as his 2019 Silverado makes the same noise.  Two years for him experiencing the issue and waiting for a fix as well.  I feel bad for the dealership as they are in a position to not fix it but know there is a problem. 

 

I also confirmed that PIP5653 is available on NHTSA website per obligated reporting of dealer notifications by OEMs to dealers, however there is no active TSB for this issue.  When I contacted GM today to file a complaint, the customer service team couldn't identify any open issues related to "jingle/clink/squeak noise for front end".  

 

I also confirmed that the driver's side axle has "play" in it whereas the passenger side axle is tight as a drum with no movement.

 

I am now negotiating with the dealership for buy back/exchange of the truck but it is a CPO (Certified Pre Owned) that is 4 days old for me.  Means they can't exchange it per GM rules.  So I filed a complaint with the dealer as the loose CV axle passed their certified inspection when it clearly shouldn't have.  I also filed a complaint with GM who has opened a case number but I'm not confident it will go anywhere as they've ignored this issue for 3 model years worth of Silverados, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades with the American Axle Manufacturing supplied SU4 axle.  The noise is disappointing enough, but I'm more concerned about the durability and safety of a CV axle bouncing around.

The BBB was real helpful you might want to give them a shot. Once I contacted them GM was calling me and the parts were in and  the dealer was  making and appointment the problem I had was they has to attempt to fix three times in order for a buy back or replacement. But also now if GM says there is no fix IBekeive that is grounds for a buy back or replacement

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, B.R.67 said:

The BBB was real helpful you might want to give them a shot. Once I contacted them GM was calling me and the parts were in and  the dealer was  making and appointment the problem I had was they has to attempt to fix three times in order for a buy back or replacement. But also now if GM says there is no fix IBekeive that is grounds for a buy back or replacement

I will look into BBB based on the dealership reply and GM reply to the filed incidences.  GM hasn't said there isn't a fix, instead they are informing dealers to do the following:

 

"Some customers may comment on a squeak or chirp noise in 2wd that goes away in 4wd. Some people may also describe it as a metallic jingle, ringing, click or tick. Condition is easiest to duplicate in warmer ambient temperatures, after approximately 30 miles of driving and is barely audible. Technician may notice that the noise seems to be from the front left axle seal area. This information only applies to the SU4 axle in pick up applications AND allutilities.
This condition does not affect durability and or operation of the vehicle but may be annoying to some customers. Test drive the vehicle and confirm the noise is in fact as described above and inform the customer that as soon as a repair is validated this document will be updated communicating that repair to the dealer."

 

So, in effect they are saying there isn't a repair but also, "trust us, nothing bad will happen".  I'll attach the document I found on NHTSA website.

MC-10201182-9999.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 2020 Silverado high country. 17k miles, and has had the front axle jingle noise for some time now. Dealer finally replicated issue on my 3rd or 4th trip back for service - I took service manager and tech on rides & then left vehicle for two days at Dealer.  I’ve now submitted a GM Buyback request. The noise is intolerable and frustrating since I paid more than $60k for a fully loaded vehicle.  I’ve also had issues with cameras, LKA, and seat rumble lane alert.  These other issues are also ones that dealer cannot replicate. Ugh!  I’m assigned to work with Draven at GM Customer Service - fingers crossed that GM buyback works

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, B.R.67 said:

The BBB was real helpful you might want to give them a shot. Once I contacted them GM was calling me and the parts were in and  the dealer was  making and appointment the problem I had was they has to attempt to fix three times in order for a buy back or replacement. But also now if GM says there is no fix IBekeive that is grounds for a buy back or replacement

How do you contact BBB and is it worth the time now after the dealer already told me they can do nothing to try and fix it due to the documentation from GM. If they do try dealer said they would not get paid for there time and labor to fix it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 2:15 PM, Terry Schmitt said:

How do you contact BBB and is it worth the time now after the dealer already told me they can do nothing to try and fix it due to the documentation from GM. If they do try dealer said they would not get paid for there time and labor to fix it. 

So after several back and forth phone calls with Chevrolet Customer Service this is the conclusion I am left with:

- Dealership cannot repair the vehicle as GM Engineering is working on a fix which means no repair is available that dealership will receive payment for from GM

- Dealership says GM needs to authorize buy back of vehicle

- Dealership will help me get another truck but cannot give me same amount for my current truck as it has been driven 3k miles

- Chevrolet Customer Service (supervisor level) cannot contact GM Engineering for timing to fix  -- No ability to contact or allowed to contact to Engineering

- Chevrolet Customer Service states that only dealership can learn timing of GM Engineering fix -- Dealership states no way to contact GM Engineering for timing to fix

 

Conclusion:  Dealership points finger to Customer Service and Customer Service points finger to dealership so no resolution.  Customer Service only alternative is to write a letter to Chevrolet Customer Assistance.

 

At this time I cannot fault the dealership as they are buying a defective product from GM and are not given a solution to fix the defective product.  GM just continues to build without fixing or hearing customer concerns.  For the life of me I cannot believe that this issue has gone on for 3 model years' worth of Silverado/Sierra, Tahoe/Yukon, and Suburban/Escalades without a fix. Next step is pursuing legal action either through Lemon Law attorney or BBB or both.  Also file complaints to NHTSA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 6:34 AM, Philo Beddo said:

I drive 55 miles each way and I've been running Auto4wd for several months with no real noticeable loss in mpg. I can tell you, in my humble opinion, it's a lot louder than a "jingle" in my truck. It's a loud, ear piercing squeal. Pretty embarrassing driving a new truck down the road, especially when you see all the dogs running for the hills. 

 

I'll be running this way until they find a fix.

 

Here's a link to another thread on Auto4wd. One guy says no reason to use it, but I beg to differ. : )

 

 

 

Responding to my own post here. 2020 RST Duramax 30k. After running Auto4wd for a bit I'm back in 2wd and am happy to report the squeal is much quieter. I don't know how or why, but it is. I have to listen for it now to notice. 

Edited by Philo Beddo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m working on purchasing the SU5 front axle from a local dealership in the next few weeks to solve the issue for good. I was able to go a few thousand miles after the fix before the sound returned. Problem that we are facing is that GM wants a vin for me to order the part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.