Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

10 hours ago, Chris Panke said:

Any follow-up yet?  Inquiring minds want to know

I had the GM factory suspension lift installed and the noise went away completely but now after a few thousand miles it seems to have come back. Its not as loud as previous, but definitely the same noise and goes away shifting from 2WD to Auto AWD.

I shared the new bulletin with my dealer and they said they can't do the repair because the bulletin is a CV axle swap which was already done with the GM factory suspension lift.  I explained that the bulletin fix should be the stubshaft in the differential but they are saying that the work instruction and part number are for the CV shaft or "F Shaft" replacement, not the stubshaft, which I believe the stubshaft is the highlighted parts below:

image.png.75f79e1919450f843617a61772141f71.png

I have an appointment set for Monday to get the work done. Parts just came in today from what my buddy told me. I should have some pictures then and will update as soon as I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Alright, from what I can tell is the metal slinger that covers the bearing is now made of a polycarbonate or plastic material. It also looks like it was glued to the stub shaft as well. I think the logic here is that the metal one was resonating as the stub shaft shifted which caused the noise. You can see the "wear ring" on the inside of the metal slinger which is where I believe it was rubbing on the housing.

I will try to keep updating this as I continue to drive more.

Edit: I would like to also add that whole looking back old photos, the clip that fits on the stub shaft "looks" bigger on the new one than the old one did.

C69D2BEE-C4A2-4585-A784-BE5FE3AF45C9.jpeg

Edited by Otherguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Trying to picture it. You can’t see that from the outside at all, right?

Just wondering what they did to mine. 

Edit, you can see the slinger just by looking. See attached photo.

1174718C-4A82-4484-AD66-D69ADCCDF8FE.jpeg

Edited by Otherguy
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Terry Schmitt said:

I would like to know how a polycarbonate or plastic material will hold up better than plastic? What rubs on this thing? Wouldn't it wear down? 

Better than metal? Honestly I don't think there will be a difference as far as strength is concerned. It just won't resonate sound like metal would. What the slinger is running on, who knows.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, Otherguy said:

Alright, from what I can tell is the metal slinger that covers the bearing is now made of a polycarbonate or plastic material. It also looks like it was glued to the stub shaft as well. I think the logic here is that the metal one was resonating as the stub shaft shifted which caused the noise. You can see the "wear ring" on the inside of the metal slinger which is where I believe it was rubbing on the housing.

I will try to keep updating this as I continue to drive more.

Edit: I would like to also add that whole looking back old photos, the clip that fits on the stub shaft "looks" bigger on the new one than the old one did.

C69D2BEE-C4A2-4585-A784-BE5FE3AF45C9.jpeg

Thank you for the pics!!

This makes sense from a materials perspective as the "jingle jingle" noise definitely sounds similar to a metal on metal contact.  Change to a dissimilar material like polycarbonate and it eliminates the resonance.  

I just wonder why it is only the DRV side as I would think the PGR side stub shaft would have similar material and design.  There must be a dimensional difference or an angle difference from side to side.

Either way, I have shared these pics with my dealership as we wait for part arrival.  Hopefully they can get me in soon so I can have a noise free summer.

On 4/11/2022 at 3:14 PM, Otherguy said:

Edit, you can see the slinger just by looking. See attached photo.

1174718C-4A82-4484-AD66-D69ADCCDF8FE.jpeg

Well, looked at mine and confirmed it is a metal dust cover. Not sure what they did correctly on mine but so far, so good. 

As I posted somewhere back in this thread, mine has quit making the noise. I even used electronic hearing protection to amplify the sound, just to make sure. And now, looking at the pic's just posted, I'm guessing with constant metal to metal wear, mine just wore down on its own. Warm weather should be here soon, and I'll listen for it again.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, Otherguy said:

New stub shaft pic, I'm waiting for the tear down to compare the different parts. Truck just got on the lift.

3EC47AFD-4E4B-4058-B8D7-60D486832734.jpeg

Do you happen to know the new part number? My dealers have an issue with saying they’ve never heard of the problem or tsb 🙄