Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

19 minutes ago, Chris Panke said:

Understood now.  Your meaning is the mating part of that joint by located within the differential assembly.  That rockauto link has some interesting detail there and honestly, I hadn't thought to reference them as well for this issue.  Based on the image, it looks like there is a different stub shaft based on the front supplier axle code.  The SU5 supplied axle is okay to order just the stub shaft but the SU4 supplied axle requires you to order the half shafts along with the stub shaft. 

So it seems there is definitely a design difference between SU4 and SU5 axles.  According the rockauto description, the SU4 has a larger lead in chamfer.

Bingo.  Its a completely different differential assembly, with the issue being unrelated to the CV shafts.  Alldata.com has informative images as well that can aide in illustrating the different internals.  If there is a specific part number you need or image you would like, I can see if I can pull it up if I get some free time, but I cant guarantee that it will show them.

Also, GM already knows the issue and has provided a fix for it.  Check out TSB #PIP5653K.  For a short period of time, GM was just replacing the entire differential assembly, but I am unsure if that method of alleviation is still in affect.

Edited by Gangly

1 minute ago, Gangly said:

Your using axle, CV, and differential interchangeably so I am somewhat confused, but I'll try to make do with that I can gather from your post.

1)  I apologize, I misspoke when I indicated the differentials were made in Mexico., I should have been clearer and used the term "utilized".  From prior posts over the past 2 years on this website, and others, information has been provided that indicates one of the differentials (not axles) is predominantly used in Mexico trucks while the other isn't. 

2)  I whole heartedly agree, the same manufacturing tolerances are required around the world per given manufacturer.  However, the SU4 and SU5 are completely different designs from completely different manufacturers so there definitely WILL be differences in the two differentials that do not allow for an apple to apple comparison.  

3)  Trail bosses have the same issue because its not the axles, its the differential that's the issue.  If you have proof otherwise, please post.  For your reading pleasure, or if you get bored, please check out this informative post on the SU4 differentials.  I believe you will find some clarity there.

4)  The Trail Boss axles are not any different in diameter, its their length, as shown by users who have measured and compared the two.  If you have quantitative proof otherwise that shows them to be wrong (and please tell me its not from the mouth of a dealership technician or parts salesman), please post it since I would much rather admit I'm wrong, learn the correct answer and move forward, than to sit here and give out false advice.

5) If new CV's cured your issue, then you didn't have the same "Jingle-Jingle" issue as others.  The issue is internal to the differential and not related CV length or design.

10-4 on all of above.  AJMBLAZER helped to clarify some items as the terms I was using weren't correlating.  My bad.  Also thank you for the differential diagram as it definitely helps to better understand the inner CV joint mating components.

Regarding the difference in the Trail Boss axles, the only evidence I have of differences is from this forum.  Like you I've seen that the axle length is different.  On a separate forum that was specific to the GM Factory Suspension Lift it was mentioned by a member that the inner CV Joint housing (maybe outer ring?) was also a different diameter.  I don't have evidence if that is accurate.

Regarding the actual noise source then, has it been root-caused to the stub shaft mating to the cross-pin?  Because if it is then some members commented that a differential swap didn't fix the issue.  I imagine the stub shaft would be replaced with a differential swap, but maybe its possible that its reused in the swap.  Also, it would be dang frustrating if a fix is out there and GM Engineering still isn't authorizing it.

Do you have the jingle-jingle noise also and have resolved it with a stub shaft replacement?

For now (the past 5 days) the issue seems to be gone with the cv axle swap.  Hopefully it stays that way.  By the way, I've attached a link to a video of the noise I have (don't have time to compress to post).  The dealer had confirmed this as the jingle-jingle noise, but I would like to hear your thoughts on if it is similar to others experiences.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gZeLBcXCUWGS5rYw5

24 minutes ago, Gangly said:

Bingo.  Its a completely different differential assembly, with the issue being unrelated to the CV shafts.  Alldata.com has informative images as well that can aide in illustrating the different internals.  If there is a specific part number you need or image you would like, I can see if I can pull it up if I get some free time, but I cant guarantee that it will show them.

Also, GM already knows the issue and has provided a fix for it.  Check out TSB #PIP5653K.  For a short period of time, GM was just replacing the entire differential assembly, but I am unsure if that method of alleviation is still in affect.

I am familiar with TSB #PIP5653K but can't find anything newer than the July 14 2021 (attached) posting that states no repair at this time.  I had found that earlier versions of the PIP recommended differential component replacements but that repair proved to be temporary as the noise would come back.  Do you have a copy of the PIP that is newer than July-2021

GM PIP5653K_3 model year history of no resolution.pdf

1 hour ago, Chris Panke said:

Regarding the actual noise source then, has it been root-caused to the stub shaft mating to the cross-pin?  Because if it is then some members commented that a differential swap didn't fix the issue.  I imagine the stub shaft would be replaced with a differential swap, but maybe its possible that its reused in the swap.  Also, it would be dang frustrating if a fix is out there and GM Engineering still isn't authorizing it.

Do you have the jingle-jingle noise also and have resolved it with a stub shaft replacement?

The dealer had confirmed this as the jingle-jingle noise, but I would like to hear your thoughts on if it is similar to others experiences.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gZeLBcXCUWGS5rYw5

There were several initial repair instances where the differential swap didn't cure the noise permanently, but that was early on before they diagnosed what the culprit was.  Basically replacing a bad one with another bad one that would soon exhibit the same noise issues.  The newer replacement differentials haven't had that issue as far as I am aware but I could be mistaken.

I have not had the noise, knock on wood, but have heard it in others.

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Panke said:

I am familiar with TSB #PIP5653K but can't find anything newer than the July 14 2021 (attached) posting that states no repair at this time.  I had found that earlier versions of the PIP recommended differential component replacements but that repair proved to be temporary as the noise would come back.  Do you have a copy of the PIP that is newer than July-2021

GM PIP5653K_3 model year history of no resolution.pdf 71.76 kB · 3 downloads

I'll check and see if there are any updates on it.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 1:23 AM, EricTheRed said:

I’m glad to hear there’s a fix. Thanks for sharing. I’m looking at a few options with UCAs. That is not a fix whatsoever, still happens on lifted trucks. As you can see below with the posts from others they're trying to solve GMS piss poor garbage engineering themselves because GM cannot fix this problem this is the worst company on the face of this planet right now bar none bar none

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard if the 2022's are using the su4 still? I'm thinking about ordering a new one with the max towing package. I know it uses a larger rear differential but am worried about getting the same junk su4 in the front end. I haven't been able to find any info on the 22's yet.

• 1 month later...

The bad part about it is i am pretty sure i have a fix for the noise, but GM did not listen... so i traded and got a break even deal with the dealership. Request to see the build sheet, ask if the new truck has the SU5 Front differential.  That is what I had to do when my 2020 Silverado had the noise. I got lucky and found a truck that was almost identical to the 2020, the differences between the two were the front differential and a Sun roof.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I'm a new owner of a  2021 Sierra AT4 single cab, and i have a clicking noise i don't really know if it's the same that you guys are talking about i tried to fix it with the dealer but they didn't really know, I'm sorry but i really can't read all 81 pages lol, here is a video of the clicking noise i have

https://imgur.com/a/2z5C0Nc

i get this noise every time i accelerate and on low speeds around 10mph.

and if you guys can mention me on the fix replay if it's the same thing 

Thank you 

2 hours ago, gmc.ksb said:

Hey I'm a new owner of a  2021 Sierra AT4 single cab, and i have a clicking noise i don't really know if it's the same that you guys are talking about i tried to fix it with the dealer but they didn't really know, I'm sorry but i really can't read all 81 pages lol, here is a video of the clicking noise i have

https://imgur.com/a/2z5C0Nc

i get this noise every time i accelerate and on low speeds around 10mph.

and if you guys can mention me on the fix replay if it's the same thing 

Thank you 

That's not the sound my 19 makes. It's just the left side and it is jungling sound that only happens in 2 wheel drive. Have you tried putting it in 4 wheel drive and see if it goes away?