Long Term AFM disabler experience

Just wondering if anyone had any long-term updates on AFM disablers such as Range Technology. I'm considering putting one on my Suburban when the warranty is up and would like to know how they're fairing on the K2 trucks. Most threads are just people who are thinking about getting them of have had one for a very short period of time. However, a bit of time has passed now so we should be able to see some longer term feedback. 

I Put on a Range within the first month of buying my truck new.  I have about 9k miles on it now without any trouble or check engine lights. However it wont let Onstar run there test. I did not sign up for Onstar services so it’s no big deal to me.  Much rather have the truck in V8 mode all the time, it drives much better.  After the 5/60 runs out i will most likely put a tune on it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Landolt said:

I Put on a Range within the first month of buying my truck new.  I have about 9k miles on it now without any trouble or check engine lights. However it wont let Onstar run there test. I did not sign up for Onstar services so it’s no big deal to me.  Much rather have the truck in V8 mode all the time, it drives much better.  After the 5/60 runs out i will most likely put a tune on it.

What problems with OnStar?

I've had my Range installed since July 2018 and have added 16k miles since. Never any problems. I get my monthly diagnostics report from OnStar without fail (and without errors/warnings).

Also get oil change reminders by email.

• Like 1

AFM has been deactivated on my 15 5.3 since 19k miles, also been tuned since then. Zero issues.

What I still haven't got word on is how many people are running a catch can with AFM OFF vs running a catch can with AFM ON.

I still can't justify buying a catch can.

Sorry not trying to thread jack.

• Like 2

I'm running cc with AFM off. What would be the association of this in regards to AFM? The CC helps remove oil that would otherwise go down the the intake. I would run it because of the direct injection and not because of the AFM. 

1 hour ago, 3tspapat said:

I'm running cc with AFM off. What would be the association of this in regards to AFM? The CC helps remove oil that would otherwise go down the the intake. I would run it because of the direct injection and not because of the AFM. 

I thought the AFM caused the blow by to happen. I guess i was misunderstanding.

13 hours ago, Brummie99 said:

What problems with OnStar?

I've had my Range installed since July 2018 and have added 16k miles since. Never any problems. I get my monthly diagnostics report from OnStar without fail (and without errors/warnings).

Also get oil change reminders by email.

The first monthly diagnostics report said it was unable to connect with the truck, and it has happened one other time as well.  Last months report was fine.  Im really not sure why its inconsistent.  I have only unplugged the device one time, and that was for the first dealer oil change.

I bought a superal flashchips programmer 150 bucks. Plugged it in one time and disabled v4 mode. Has been running great for about 15k miles like that. You can also tune the vehicle for towing or fuel efficiency with the chip, read diagnostics, calibrate tpms and adjust Speedo for bigger tires. The only thing is if the battery gets disconnected you have to go back in and redo it. Still a way better deal for your money than the silly little range plug n play thing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

True AFM disabling/deletion is possible.

The Kit is around $750 plus labor. This is a permanent solution

I assume you are talking about replacing the cam and lifters.  Does the $750 cover the cost of the tune that you will need?