Sound volume on aftermarket Kenwood is low at max volume

Hi All,

I'm new here, so I apologize if this thread has been covered and thanks for having me.

I installed an aftermarket stereo with a 500 watt amp, 12" sub, and door speakers on my 2014 Sierra 2500 HD WT. All items installed are Kenwood. I was looking to add a little depth to the bass notes and adding hands-free/Bluetooth upgrades from the base work truck RADIO. The volume at max level is sub par at best. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I didn't change the highs up front. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the low volume? Maybe the tweeter is more restricted, IDK and definitely lost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

20190510_071600.jpg

This is what I do for a living.
A few questions need to answered.

1. What did use for signal? Hi / Low ?
  2. Where did you install the Line Out Converter (LOC), if used?
  3. I am assuming you have IO3, correct me if I'm wrong
  4. Is it only the sub that is not loud enough for you?
  5. Model of Amp and Sub, as well as how the sub is wired (series or parallel if DVC)

I have found the coloration one the OEM radio is very muddy, and over-all not too loud. There is a slight chance you are experiencing what is called bass roll-off. Many manufactures head units have it now. Low frequency sound is programmed to "roll-off" with volume and is not linear with the rest of the spectrum. This is done to protect the OEM speakers at higher volumes. It allows more Mid-Bass & Bass at lower volumes where the speaker can actually handle it.  Lets start with that.

Edited by Sinkhole

• 1 month later...

I have found the coloration one the OEM radio is very muddy, and over-all not too loud. There is a slight chance you are experiencing what is called bass roll-off. Many manufactures head units have it now. Low frequency sound is programmed to "roll-off" with volume and is not linear with the rest of the spectrum. This is done to protect the OEM speakers at higher volumes. It allows more Mid-Bass & Bass at lower volumes where the speaker can actually handle it.

This^^^

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk