In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  

Sound volume on aftermarket Kenwood is low at max volume

Hi All,

I'm new here, so I apologize if this thread has been covered and thanks for having me.

I installed an aftermarket stereo with a 500 watt amp, 12" sub, and door speakers on my 2014 Sierra 2500 HD WT. All items installed are Kenwood. I was looking to add a little depth to the bass notes and adding hands-free/Bluetooth upgrades from the base work truck RADIO. The volume at max level is sub par at best. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I didn't change the highs up front. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the low volume? Maybe the tweeter is more restricted, IDK and definitely lost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

20190510_071600.jpg

This is what I do for a living.
A few questions need to answered.

1. What did use for signal? Hi / Low ?
  2. Where did you install the Line Out Converter (LOC), if used?
  3. I am assuming you have IO3, correct me if I'm wrong
  4. Is it only the sub that is not loud enough for you?
  5. Model of Amp and Sub, as well as how the sub is wired (series or parallel if DVC)

I have found the coloration one the OEM radio is very muddy, and over-all not too loud. There is a slight chance you are experiencing what is called bass roll-off. Many manufactures head units have it now. Low frequency sound is programmed to "roll-off" with volume and is not linear with the rest of the spectrum. This is done to protect the OEM speakers at higher volumes. It allows more Mid-Bass & Bass at lower volumes where the speaker can actually handle it.  Lets start with that.

Edited by Sinkhole

I have found the coloration one the OEM radio is very muddy, and over-all not too loud. There is a slight chance you are experiencing what is called bass roll-off. Many manufactures head units have it now. Low frequency sound is programmed to "roll-off" with volume and is not linear with the rest of the spectrum. This is done to protect the OEM speakers at higher volumes. It allows more Mid-Bass & Bass at lower volumes where the speaker can actually handle it.

This^^^

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cole Riggs
      I have a 2004 Silverado 4x4 with the Bose system. I just put a brand new aftermarket head unit in it and still no sound so I bought a used amp off eBay, installed it and still nothing.   Fuses are all good and all connections are as they should be   I’ve read a lot saying it could be the speakers. If one speaker blows could it shut down the whole system?   I’m at a lose and nothing I have read has been specific enough to my problem nor has anything given me a confirmed fix   Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you 
    • By RogueOneOverland
      Finally finished my stereo setup. SoundMan iPad Dash Kit, AudioQuest DragonFly DAC, AudioControl Overdrive Plus, JL Audio HD900/5, JL Audio 8W3v3-4, Focal K2 Power 6.5, 33 Sq Ft of SoundSkins Dampening, SMD OM-1 Monitors on highs and lows. 

• By tommy2wheels
      Bought truck in July and had infotainment issues from the start, the screen is black but backlit, the screen displays but will not work with touch, sometimes the hard buttons will move it other times not. The climate control changes sometimes will display, loss of back up markers, sometimes loss of back up camera with a screen error of connection lost, audio is lost sometimes, CarPlay won't always sync and I'm sure other things I am forgetting as well. Only has issues on start up, never going down the road so I don't think its a lose or broken wire, improper pin alignment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Its so random how long it doesn't work for, not very often stopping and starting will fix it, sometimes its a day or more before it works again. 

The radio was replaced at dealer, 2 weeks later it starts acting up again, dealer worked with TAC(?) to determine they were replacing the radio again, strike forced it to be delayed but eventually replaced, less than 2 weeks later same thing, then they replaced the screen/digitizer, I went to pick it up, started truck and screen was blank. Now after having my truck for about 3 weeks (this time) GM wants to try replacing the bus cable from radio to screen but they want me to not connect my iPhone as they think it could be causing the issue, even with video documentation showing my phone not plugged in and blue tooth disabled and 2 times with dealership mechanics seeing my phone in my pocket. 

My questions are -  
      1) anyone else have this issue? what was the fix?
      2) What kind of compensation should I be seeking for 5, almost 6 months now of it not working right, repeated trips to dealership, long waits in lounge, being told it was fixed only to show up and it's not? I have kept extensive records for every time it happens, videos of probably half of the instances. 

• By Rickery
      I'm looking for a radio for my 1990 GMC S15 pickup. Salvage guy found one for a '93 vehicle that looks exactly the same. Did GMC use the same radio in '93 as '90?
      Thanks,
      Rick
    • By th3magpi3
      Hi everybody!

As some of you may know, I've been working hard to help the lovely members of this forums program some of their vehicles to add unique and exciting features to their trucks and cars.

Well, I'm happy to announce a project I've been working very hard on over the last few months. Welcome to Coastal Flash!

Final_Short.mp4

We have been spending countless hours taking the time to develop new products and features for our line of vehicles and add them all to an easy to use marketplace for all members of the forum to enjoy.

We're happy to offer free shipping on all kit purchases across North America and also are happy to provide phone support to anybody who purchases our services. Plus, we will beat any price quoted by our competitors on kits and programming services. It's not about being the cheapest, but about making these upgrades more affordable for the average user. The entire reason this market was formed was because we felt the current market was monopolized and overcharging for their services. Coastal Flash is here to put an end to that.

Currently, we offer:

Both 2.0-2.5 HMI Carplay/Android Auto kits & Programming Denali Cluster Programming and Upgrades Video in Motion Unlocks Rear Camera in Motion Unlock & Harness Custom HMI Boot Animations and Splash Screens Amplifier repair Late 90's - mid 2010's Radio Linking and Testing Navigation Updates Custom Reverse Engineering Services And many more services...  
      So please, if you are interested in getting any of these upgrades done to your vehicle, I encourage you to take a look at what we've been up to!

Feel free to take a look through some of the upgrade threads posted here on the forums and look at the reviews some customers have been leaving for our services. I think their words speak for themselves. 

I'm also very open to ideas or suggestions from forum members of what you'd like to see installed into your vehicles, so feel free to send me a PM or an email and let me know what mod you'd like to see done next. Nothing is too big or too small.

I'll be consistently monitoring this thread and updating it with new services and discoveries as we make them available.

Oh, and one more thing, we're offering some special discounts for Black Friday and Cyber Monday so feel free to stop by, take a look around and save some cash on that new upgrade you've been wanting to get.

Thanks for stopping by and thank you to everyone who has shown us so much encouragement and support over the last year as we've gotten our products and services tuned in. I can't wait to show you what else we have in store for you in the near future 😉

Talk to you all soon...

-Mag