What kind of oil

I bought my new to me 2014 silverado 5.3 4x4 last September and I'm coming up on my first oil change.  I have put about 3,000 miles on it since I've had it and the oil life is down to about 33%-35% can't remember off the top of my head.  The truck now has about 62,xxx miles on it, I'm not sure what kind of oil has been used in the past.  What would all of you suggest?

You will see replies for Amsoil, Mobil 1, anything cheap at WalMart, and so on.

To be compliant, try to use a synthetic that is Dexos 1 approved for your balance of the powertrain warranty.

I have been using the new AC Delco synthetic at the dealership, seems to be a good oil, either made by Mobil, or Phillips 66.

• Like 1

Im in before this gets way out of hand

Use whatever you want.  I would recommend a good synthetic though.  Don't take the bait either, Amsoil is not the end all be all of synthetic oil.  Tons of other equally good options out there.  As far as weight goes, that's up to you.  Your truck specs 0W-20 so use that if you want.  The debates in here get hot and heavy over weight.  Unless you live in a really cold climate I don't see the need for that thin of an oil.  Im in TX and even though my truck specs 0W-20 I use 5w-30 because it gets real hot down here.

• Like 1

There’s about 100 of these threads on here already... with every kind of answer under the sun...

The one thing most of us on here can agree on is change it every 5k or less instead of going by the OLM especially if your AFM is still enabled. Think of it as cheap insurance.

Course now somebody will have to get on here and tell you about how they run their oil for 23,000 miles and sent it to some lab somewhere that tells them that they could go another 20k no problem...

• Like 2

Any of the oils on the shelf at Walmart will work.  Just make sure they have dexos 1 Gen2 on the bottle.  

You didn't mention filters.  AC PF63,  or Wix as well as Car Quest and NAPA house brand will work well.

• Like 1

I am using Amsoil Signature series on my new 2019 5.3L L84. I saw after using Mobil 1 and ACDelco that i m getting better gas milage, 19mpg average instead of 18.2 mpg. Im going to stick with amsoil and change it every 7500 miles or sooner with towing.

ACDelco is good stuff and much cheaper than amsoil.

Adding that i use Signature series 0W-20

Edited by BlancoSilverado
  • Like 2

Get the best you can afford, change it every 4-5K and you’ll be fine. I highly recommend using Amsoil Signature Series but there are others that do come close but won’t really matter so much if you’re changing it out before 5K. I’ve personally noticed a difference with Amsoil being Real 100% Synthetic and not the misleading Full Synthetic, difference being zero oil consumption and much smoother running engine BUT I haven’t tested all the top oils, I’m very happy with my swap to Amsoil. Research Amsoil yourself and you’ll see why it’s highest rated motor oil. A quart of Mobile1 is a couple dollars cheaper than Amsoil Signature Series but you’re getting much better Insurance pay a few bucks more. 100% synthetic burns much slower than Full Synthetic and performs much better past 4-5K miles than Full Synthetic. Good luck and congrats on your new to you truck!

Sent from above

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlancoSilverado said:

I am using Amsoil Signature series on my new 2019 5.3L L84. I saw after using Mobil 1 and ACDelco that i m getting better gas milage, 19mpg average instead of 18.2 mpg. Im going to stick with amsoil and change it every 7500 miles or sooner with towing.

ACDelco is good stuff and much cheaper than amsoil.

Adding that i use Signature series 0W-20

I'd say the oil had a little to do with the increase. Mobil 1 is top shelf also in my book. I say it's more of the engine loosening up and spinning easier. These things are pretty tight out of the box. They seem to be fully broke in by 8000- 10,000 miles. That's when mileage has increased on almost every new Chevy I have ever owned . And that's a lot of trucks.

• Like 1

I add a pint of MMO with a Dexos full synthetic to help keep the valves clean (from valve stem seepage and PCV vapors).  Once I get out of warranty I'll probably up it to a quart, for no other reason than I've got both 36 and 43 year old engines, spotless under the VCs, that I run 20% MMO that run perfect and don't use oil; and yes, the VVT engines in my BMW and previous Ford love the MMO treatment as well.  Being in the NE, I'll continue running the 0w-20 in the 5.3 until I see need to experiment otherwise.

Edited by dukedkt442

There’s about 100 of these threads on here already... with every kind of answer under the sun...

The one thing most of us on here can agree on is change it every 5k or less instead of going by the OLM especially if your AFM is still enabled. Think of it as cheap insurance.

Course now somebody will have to get on here and tell you about how they run their oil for 23,000 miles and sent it to some lab somewhere that tells them that they could go another 20k no problem...
Why every 5k? I've been like doing my pool change everytime it 25% less on the sensor and that way putting my almost 6k plus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I add a pint of MMO with a Dexos full synthetic to help keep the valves clean (from valve stem seepage and PCV vapors).  Once I get out of warranty I'll probably up it to a quart, for no other reason than I've got both 36 and 43 year old engines, spotless under the VCs, that I run 20% MMO that run perfect and don't use oil; and yes, the VVT engines in my BMW and previous Ford love the MMO treatment as well.  Being in the NE, I'll continue running the 0w-20 in the 5.3 until I see need to experiment otherwise.
What is MMO?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk