Add me to the fuel injectors list...

14 hours ago, Capt Bob said:

Well the warranty in 2003 (my last truck)was 3 yrs. 36,000 miles. They increased the warranty (2007 ?) for two distinct reasons. First and foremost was to create the perception that they didn't build a POS and second to lift sagging sales due to the first. Well when sales didn't skyrocket  (remain somewhat flat) they decided to reduce the warranty (2016?).

The warranty for any object isn't based on how well it works but rather a marketing tool for sales. Why offer a huge warranty? To bolster sales. If it doesn't work, why offer it? This is Marketing 101 and that's why the warranty decreased. To think there is some hidden agenda there is Oliver Stone stuff. Marketing pure and simple. The product isn't really any different (life expectancy wise) from 2003 so why offer an inflated warranty unless sales reflect it works.

Agree with this and my thoughts also.

The vehicles of today are more complicated due to gov mandates.

All the whining gets old.

Nothing is perfect.

Any manufacturer of any product will make some bad ones when you make lots of that product.

Buying another brand vehicle because you had a bad experience with GM is just rolling the dice.

I guess I have been lucky in 50 years of used vehicle ownership because I have never had major drive train problems.

I have owned only GM and in recent years Honda with no complaints.

:)

I mite add 5.7 diesel, 6.2 and 6.5 diesels. We had those nightmares. I’m the only one in my family that still bought GM. I will stay away from cylinder deactivation of any kind. Start stop technology. Anything that may save a little fuel but adds cost if-when they fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Agree with this and my thoughts also.

The vehicles of today are more complicated due to gov mandates.

All the whining gets old.

Nothing is perfect.

Any manufacturer of any product will make some bad ones when you make lots of that product.

Buying another brand vehicle because you had a bad experience with GM is just rolling the dice.

I guess I have been lucky in 50 years of used vehicle ownership because I have never had major drive train problems.

I have owned only GM and in recent years Honda with no complaints.

Question....How many of your GM vehicles were BRAND NEW?

None.

I have always bought used vehicles because I will not pay up for new and then take the depreciation in the first few years of ownership.

Just giving money away rubs me wrong.

22 hours ago, Baytrucker said:

They did this because their engine is inherently flawed in two ways, and there is no easy fix

Basically, to fix these two major engine problems, GM has to redesign their engine. Its easier just to shorten the warranty.

Whether the engine design is flawed or not isn't the reason for shorting the warranty. If that in fact were true, we'd all be driving  Nissan Titans. Best warranty in the truck world. Why aren't we (as in every truck owner regardless of brand loyalty) doing this? Please explain.

Edited by Capt Bob

I bought my first Hyundai in 05 because of the warranty. I still have it and 3 more since. If I was looking for a truck now I’d give the Nissan a look for price and warranty.

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I bought my first Hyundai in 05 because of the warranty. I still have it and 3 more since. If I was looking for a truck now I’d give the Nissan a look for price and warranty.

Thank you for making my point.

6 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Buddy had a Nissan, spent as much time in the dealers garage as his.  Has had no issues with his Ford now.  They all have issues.  Wait until the new car smell wears off on that Tundra and you realize how much more comfortable your old seats were and how much better your old truck ran.  I had a Tundra, really nice drive train, not too comfy of a ride.  My current 16 5.3 Sierra has eaten 2 FI in 26,000 miles, my 3year 36 is up in 2 months.  We'll see how this goes.

Buddy had a Nissan, spent as much time in the dealers garage as his.  Has had no issues with his Ford now.  They all have issues.  Wait until the new car smell wears off on that Tundra and you realize how much more comfortable your old seats were and how much better your old truck ran.  I had a Tundra, really nice drive train, not too comfy of a ride.  My current 16 5.3 Sierra has eaten 2 FI in 26,000 miles, my 3year 36 is up in 2 months.  We'll see how this goes.

I’ve never owned a tundra. We had several little Toyota trucks in the 80s. They were tough as nails. I generally bought trucks for work. It usually came down to price. Because of miles I traded every 2-3 years. If I was in the market, I wouldn’t be I’m retired. I wouldn’t be a cylinder deactivation engine. So that leaves me with Nissan, Ford and Toyota. I don’t like all the gimmicks. That’s why I drive a Camry and a old Chevy truck.

6 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I’ve never owned a tundra. We had several little Toyota trucks in the 80s. They were tough as nails.

Yes they were.  Very uncomfortable for us tall guys but their powertrain was VERY respectable for reliability yet shitty power. 

• Like 1

On 20/07/2019 at 4:50 PM, KARNUT said:

I tried pricing out a Titan on the Nissan website and it was over $60k CAD just to get heated seats. Can get an LTZ/SLT for that kind of money. 

• Like 1

I tried pricing out a Titan on the Nissan website and it was over $60k CAD just to get heated seats. Can get an LTZ/SLT for that kind of money. 

I always bought my trucks at the end of model year. I’m seeing big discounts on Nissans currently. Depending on what their warranty actually covers and the cost of additional bumper to bumper coverage. And the possibility of failure with all the additional changes to all trucks I would definitely give them a look. I never bought a tundra. If I was going to buy a new truck and keep pass warranty the Tundra would be it. Precisely because they are slow with changes and their reputation. Otherwise I would buy the longest warranty and trade at the end of.

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I always bought my trucks at the end of model year. I’m seeing big discounts on Nissans currently. Depending on what their warranty actually covers and the cost of additional bumper to bumper coverage. And the possibility of failure with all the additional changes to all trucks I would definitely give them a look. I never bought a tundra. If I was going to buy a new truck and keep pass warranty the Tundra would be it. Precisely because they are slow with changes and their reputation. Otherwise I would buy the longest warranty and trade at the end of.

I got $13k off MSRP on the 2018 Sierra I just bought, which is pretty good in Canada, and it still has the 5 year, 160k km (100k mile) powertrain warranty, rather than the 100k km/60k mile one they went to for 2019.

• Like 1