In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I have roughly 56k miles on my truck...don't use 4wd very often, but occasionally...

I have noticed i have a clicking sound when turning at slow speeds...I haven't been able to climb underneath my truck yet (not even sure I would be able to tell unless something was blatantly obvious).  I did a search and found some threads about steering column causing a click...it isn't my steering wheel...

if it is a CV issues, are these under the power train warranty or am I SOL?  Any advise appreciated!

6 hours ago, spenpet said:

I have roughly 56k miles on my truck...don't use 4wd very often, but occasionally...

I have noticed i have a clicking sound when turning at slow speeds...I haven't been able to climb underneath my truck yet (not even sure I would be able to tell unless something was blatantly obvious).  I did a search and found some threads about steering column causing a click...it isn't my steering wheel...

if it is a CV issues, are these under the power train warranty or am I SOL?  Any advise appreciated!

Not an expert, but from past experience with FWD cars, go under your truck and grab the front drive shafts and see if there is any play/sloppiness in them.

Even if you are still in the powertrain warranty range, think you will have a hard time, seeing how it looks like you have a lift on the truck.

I would just call your dealer, and get an idea on what you can expect when you take it in.

This is a printed email I have had since around when I purchased my truck... this is from the dealership I purchased and clearly asking if a ‘level kit’ would affect the warranty... and the answer is clearly ‘no.’  

Having said that, that’s for the info... I’ll crawl under and give them a good shake and see if they have any play...

85CA0400-BB4C-473B-A3E2-DBC2C0491A3B.jpeg

4 hours ago, spenpet said:

This is a printed email I have had since around when I purchased my truck... this is from the dealership I purchased and clearly asking if a ‘level kit’ would affect the warranty... and the answer is clearly ‘no.’  

Having said that, that’s for the info... I’ll crawl under and give them a good shake and see if they have any play...

85CA0400-BB4C-473B-A3E2-DBC2C0491A3B.jpeg

Good info to have, still thinking CV joints are going to be considered "normal wear" items, hopefully I am wrong if that is the problem.

2 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Good info to have, still thinking CV joints are going to be considered "normal wear" items, hopefully I am wrong if that is the problem.

Pretty sure that's not the case, unless they changed the list of items that are considered wear and tear items and axles should not be one of them.

1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

Pretty sure that's not the case, unless they changed the list of items that are considered wear and tear items and axles should not be one of them.

Just curious, what is their definition of axles, since the CV joints are attached, and not a fixed item.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Dan P.
      I just got a new to me 2011 2500HD duramax with 99k miles on it. Just here recently every time I put the truck in park and it rolls until the transmission catches I hear a pretty loud popping sound from somewhere under the dash in the floor of the drivers seat. Everything works fine as far as I can tell, and I’m fairly certain it’s inside the truck. I can feel it in the brake pedal and sometimes I think I can in the steering wheel. It doesn’t do it in a turn or anytime the truck is moving in drive or reverse. Only does it when put in park and let go of the brake. I have no clue what it is. Thanks!

• By Dan P.
      I just got a new to me 2011 2500HD duramax with 99k miles on it. Just here recently every time I put the truck in park and it rolls until the transmission catches I hear a pretty loud popping sound from somewhere under the dash in the floor of the drivers seat. Everything works fine as far as I can tell, and I’m fairly certain it’s inside the truck. I can feel it in the brake pedal and sometimes I think I can in the steering wheel. It doesn’t do it in a turn or anytime the truck is moving in drive or reverse. Only does it when put in park and let go of the brake. I have no clue what it is. Thanks!
    • By Tristen
      When I turn my steering wheel on my 2014 Silverado 1500 it makes a clicking noise. I can feel it in my steering wheel so I know it’s not coming from anywhere else except either something on the steering column or steering wheel. 
    • By AZ-Dan
      I have a sound coming from the front end of my 2005 Silverado 4x4 that happens only after it has been driven 10-15 Miles (Hot) and sounds like a rotational crunching sound (some could call a clicking or maybe popping) It seems to only happen while I am at Low speeds coming to a stop only.  I don’t seem to hear anything abnormal while accelerating or cruising and when I begin to brake there’s no issue (brakes feel/work great) but only when I get down to around 10 miles an hour (crunching 2-3 times per tire rotation) It’s really hard to pinpoint what side of the truck but it sounds to be about the same from both sides. I have done a bunch of work including replacing front CV axle’s, front brakes, front differential service, transfer case service, lubed rear slip yoke, inspected/tested actuator for front differential engagement, and spent hours attempting to diagnose and inspect the entire Front end and drivetrain. The crazy thing is I got the Sound to go away completely after The night I had replaced the front CV axle’s, and brake pads and then put about 300-400 miles on it (took camping loaded up and drive and brakes worked fantastic) and now the sound has come back!?... I really am getting very confused and discouraged on where to go next? I guess I was thinking of getting it to act up and then removing the front driveshaft to see if the sound continues and I guess that would help determine if its a possible driveshaft or u-joint issue or maybe front differential or transfer case issue?  Sorry for the long post I just want to put as much info as I can and THANK YOU 🙏🏻 in advance for any help I can get I really appreciate it! I have good videos of the issue but the files are too large to upload on this post but I could email them to somebody if they’re willing to watch? THANK YOU! 
    • By Luistt
      Anyone else having a problem when Turing all the way left there’s a clunking noise coming from the front passenger side.