Noise coming from the dash

Moend

Hello

I am not sure if this been talked about before. Anyways, I noticed a noise coming form the dashboard -i think-. This happen only if I go over light bumps and specially if its on a ramp so while truck is flexing ex: going in/out the gas station that had a bit of a ramp on the entrance. The noise sounds like a loose bolt or clips. It is not loud but always there and driving me insane.

Any one experienced something of this sort and know what it going on. Please enlighting me.

Thank you!

On 10/27/2019 at 1:27 PM, jay webb said:

there is a bulletin about noises coming from the dash

it can be the inverter or they used the wrong size screws in behind the radio or whatever... 

just take it to the dealer , its under warranty 

Took it to the dealership and after 3 hours the verdict was they could not find anything and they said the only thing they can do is for ne to leave it there for couple weeks so they can tare the dashboard apart and try to look for the issue and he said might not be able to find it after all. After agreeing to that they want to give me a rental Cruze. I said no thank you. Will take my truck. For one I don't really have much trust in them and second I don't want them to take the dashboard apart and not being able to put it back together or half ass it and make it worst.

4 hours ago, oldmann said:

Any chance you sun visors are unhooked from the clips?

Tried that. And I went under the dash and everything was so loose made me wonder what type of quality control the folks at GM are running.

Edited by Moend

• 4 weeks later...

Update #1

buckle up guys this is going to be a long one.

So went to the second Chevy dealer in town and had one of the worst experience - the technician was not interested in working on my truck because it needed a little bit of digging and it was not something that he had done in the past - basically the dude flat out told me he never heard of something like this before and not sure where the noise is coming from and proceeded to tell me there is nothing he can do his actual words were (it sounds to me like just a clunking noise and we will not fix rattle noise because we don't want tie up the shop working on that sort of thing) I was thinking I better leave them alone - curing cancer and what not

Went home and thought to myself maybe I should bring it to the last GM dealer in town (GMC dealer) but hey they are somewhat similar, went there on Tuesday and they were much nicer, the service manager went with me on ride hit couple bump along the way and he was like yup this does not sound normal, asked if he can drive it back and sure thing he did drive it back and was able to reproduce the noise over small bumps - back at the shop he set me up with a loaner car smaller suv and told me he will call and update me, he didn't and I decided not to bug him on the count of him saying it might take couple days.

Fast forward next day Fri after work I called, they were like yeah the manager is driving it now with the tech and you might have to leave it over the weekend, we will call you when we have an update.

Monday: they called me at 4ish and said they found the issue - a rubber pushing in the suspension that was installed incorrectly at the factory, they have it order and will get it installed the next day.

Tue: no one called, so I called at 4ish they said the part they replaced did';t fix the issue and they have to order another pushing and will let me know by Wed.

Wed: no call - left them alone and didn't call

Thursday: I get a call around noon that the truck is ready, I go to pick it up after work and what a disaster the interior is filthy and greasy - I was like no problem i can clean a dirty truck, took it for a ride and surprise surprise the popping clunking noise is still there went back and requested to talk to the shop manager and he was different this time, informed me that he drove it early afternoon and the noise was gone - so I took him for a ride.

Here the manager start to change his story and tell me they thought that I said the noise was coming from the back - that got my blood boiling and I made sure to let him know. I was furious. long story short - truck is worse now and they are going to e-mail GM and let me know. all what they did is replace couple of pushing over the rear suspension ziptied couple of foam pieces over the hood release cables and that was it - not sure how they managed to make the noise worse but that could be from all the test drives over bumpy roads made it worse. IDK

The thing that worries me the most is that I am not sure if this is a safety critical item or not - my father retired mechanic said it could be cab bolts if ball joints and tie rod are not an issue. I don't want a wheel come flying off while I am driving or towing not only for my safety also for others who didn't make the decision to buy a GM product.

will keep you guys posted...

In my quad State area, GMC/Buick dealer's will not do warranty work on Chevy's or vice versa under normal conditions......only if it is a breakdown requiring a tow to the nearest GM dealer or an out-of-town emergency where impractical or unsafe to drive to a different brand GM dealership.

There's no way I'd ever leave a perfectly functional vehicle overnight at a dealer, especially for a noise. Just as easy to return first thing the next day, wait  and know where it has been and safely stored in the interim. GM will not reimburse for endless hours looking for a stupid noise that is not traceable to a component failure......if they can't find it in less than 2 hours, they never will! So rest assured no one was wasting hours, much less days, looking for a noise....mechanics may have taken it home "looking for a noise" and using it for who-knows-what in the interim. I made that mistake once and ended up with a parking ticket received for illegally parking in front of a bar at a time when it was dropped off at a the dealership for repairs - (also might want to check under the seats for beer cans or discarded condoms)! And I wouldn't hold my breath or get more aggravated waiting for future satisfaction from the dealer or GM.

13 hours ago, Thomcat said:

In my quad State area, GMC/Buick dealer's will not do warranty work on Chevy's or vice versa under normal conditions......only if it is a breakdown requiring a tow to the nearest GM dealer or an out-of-town emergency where impractical or unsafe to drive to a different brand GM dealership.

There's no way I'd ever leave a perfectly functional vehicle overnight at a dealer, especially for a noise. Just as easy to return first thing the next day, wait  and know where it has been and safely stored in the interim. GM will not reimburse for endless hours looking for a stupid noise that is not traceable to a component failure......if they can't find it in less than 2 hours, they never will! So rest assured no one was wasting hours, much less days, looking for a noise....mechanics may have taken it home "looking for a noise" and using it for who-knows-what in the interim. I made that mistake once and ended up with a parking ticket received for illegally parking in front of a bar at a time when it was dropped off at a the dealership for repairs - (also might want to check under the seats for beer cans or discarded condoms)! And I wouldn't hold my breath or get more aggravated waiting for future satisfaction from the dealer or GM.

Funny you had mentioned that. Because I went to the dealership after hours to make sure it was parked indoor and was able to see it in the work bay every night - and made sure to tell him not to leave it outside or take it home. There is a lot to the story than what i shared but I figured to focus on the important bits.

The sad part that the Tundra was the runner up when I was shopping and boy do i feel like an idiot for wanting an American vehicle ☹️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moend said:

Funny you had mentioned that. Because I went to the dealership after hours to make sure it was parked indoor and was able to see it in the work bay every night - and made sure to tell him not to leave it outside or take it home. There is a lot to the story than what i shared but I figured to focus on the important bits.

Even more of an inconvenience, but worth the piece of mind. You gotta keep them honest..........Don't trust, and verify.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

Even more of an inconvenience, but worth the piece of mind. You gotta keep them honest..........Don't trust, and verify.

True. I mean there are good people out there problem is, there is some bad ones too

Edited by Moend

You should have searched this site and  you probably would have found the post concerning the 2 screws on the under side of the dash that were factory installed finger tight. After tearing into the suspension (twice?) and what not you are guaranteed to have all kinds of loose-noisy happening and it will only get worse in time.

Best of luck.