Ford's Electric F-150 Prototype "Tows" 1 Million Pounds

Gorehamj

On 7/30/2019 at 2:42 PM, flyingfool said:

the future is electric motors 100% , but it's not gonna be powered by batteries! 

I was hoping a substitute for gas (biofuels?) would be developed and simply be a plug' n play solution!  The future is in electric vehicles and I am hoping to make the switch before I have to or we all hit crisis mode.  The video you attached is excellent and I watched all of the speakers or the first 45 minutes.  I will finish later. Nobody can dispute the ability of electric motors to provide ample power for our personal vehicles.  If you've been on a modern cruise ship chances are it was propelled by electric motors.  The best criticism people come up with against electric motors is range and recharge.  EV's are already on the streets around the world including black cabs in London.  As supported in the video, the future will only see improvements in the supply of power.  I was looking at Chevy Bolt on the weekend for my wife.  I believe the battery pack is guaranteed 8yrs/100k miles.  I can safely expect that come replacement time, a significantly improved power source will be ready for install.  It would be worthwhile for your video to be added to the thread below.

If you do the math on this, that tow strap had less than 2000 pounds of force on it. 

Steel wheel on a a steel rail is about as low of a friction coefficient as possible. 

The truck basically needed less than 30hp to pull it straight. 

12 hours ago, econometrics said:

If you do the math on this, that tow strap had less than 2000 pounds of force on it. 

Steel wheel on a a steel rail is about as low of a friction coefficient as possible. 

The truck basically needed less than 30hp to pull it straight. 

Yeah, when we were young and into off-roading, we snapped straps twice that size trying to pluck 1 truck out of a mudhole. You can break a tow strap rated for 50,000# pretty easy if you hit it hard enough. We often would use two chains coupled to an old tire in the middle to hit when we kept breaking straps. A Prius could have pulled that train easy. I have to move several cars down the tracks with my wheel loader at a customer's facility and its easier to push 4 rail cars loaded to 250,000lbs each down the track than it is to remove a 20,000lb truck and trailer from a ditch. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 4:42 PM, flyingfool said:

the future is electric motors 100% , but it's not gonna be powered by batteries! 

Try wireless power transmitted thru the air, much like radio signals. US NAVY have a test rig set up in Texas as we speak and they are using it to power cars and aircraft within a few mile radius..

Somewhere, Nikola Tesla is saying "I told you so--126 years ago!"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Somewhere, Nikola Tesla is saying "I told you so--126 years ago!"

damn right , but the investment BAnkers did not like it because they had no way to bill the customer for power consumption, since its transmitted to everyone no wires, means no meter=no profit

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

it has it's place,  i find they are more powerful than combustion motors.  queter, can take more abuse and less maintnance.. its the future. only down side we will be tethered to a power supply somehow with less freedom than liquid fuels vehicles

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2020 at 9:02 PM, Black02Silverado said:

Nothing exceptional.  Locomotives use electric motors to pull.  The diesel engines on them are use to turn the generators to produce the electricity.  

Very true, there is no mechanical connection at all.  It only take 5hp to move one a full loaded rail car so it would not take much to pull those cars.  I think it was Dodge that did that stunt originally I think with the Dakota.