2021 Silverado/Sierra interior update coming

As someone ready to replace my 2011 F-150, I've have to say this news about a refresh has been enough to hold off on buying until next year.  I was excited to see the T1 platform initially, however, after a text drive of a Sierra Denali I could not have been more disappointed.  If only GMC would hire the Ram guys to design the interior you'd have a great vehicle.  While the GMs are fine in the lower trims, I think for $70k consumers expect a lot more than is being delivered in the High Country, AT4 and Denali.  

I know a lot of people think these truck interiors are just fine-and they are if its just a work vehicle.  But some people (like myself) are looking for a little luxury while hauling around a good size trailer, and I'm willing to pay for it.  But the flat, firm seats, dated infortainment system, and abundant use of plastics are kinda a deal killer.  I was about ready to bite the bullet and buy the Ram, but maybe GM will come through and deliver next year.

(Note that I didn't even mention Ford...after owning one all I can say is "Never Again!".  I just crossed the $10,000 mark on repairs in addition to all the warranty work, and not even to 150k miles yet).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hopefully GM does something and gets the interior right on the next redesign, its a shame if they dont in my opinion. Call me vein or whatever but the interior is probably 70% of the reason why when i decided to cut bait on my 2014 i ended up in a Ram. Beyond the reliability issues i had with my 2014 i despised the interior, specifically the rock hard seats. My truck is a tow mule and daily driver. I tow my boat a lot all over the place to fish in tournaments, sometimes driving 6-700 mile days depending on where im going. Interior comfort is a top priority for me and my specific use case which is why i buy fully loaded trucks. When i test drove the new Denali and HC i was very underwhelmed and actually liked the interior and the seats less than the truck i wanted out of. I was underwhelmed enough that after 3 decades of driving GM trucks i felt like it was time to look at what else was out there. I drove every half ton on the market and ended up in a Ram Limited, a decision to date i do not at all regret. It is a very comfortable place to eat up miles and in the 13k i have put on it since April the only time it has seen the inside of a shop was for its first oil change and tire rotation, otherwise its been flawless as it should be with so few miles on it. We will see how it holds up long term but so far its got a way better record then my 2014 did at the same stage....

I still miss my old 2006 Silverado LT3, that truck had the most comfortable seats i have ever owned. It was like driving a couch down the road and was as reliable as a hammer. 

Edited by nitro882

Speculating out loud. I think GM is going to use the -yet to be seen- new Tahoe interior in the highest trimmed pickups, much like they did with the GMT900s. They may have planned to do this from the start, they just knew the Tahoe was going to be a few years off.

It makes great sense when you think about it. Lower trims will carry on with the existing interior since it’s already done and then re-use the Tahoe parts which were always higher shelf in the pickup...save a ton of money in redevelopment.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Speculating out loud. I think GM is going to use the -yet to be seen- new Tahoe interior in the highest trimmed pickups, much like they did with the GMT900s. They may have planned to do this from the start, they just knew the Tahoe was going to be a few years off.

It makes great sense when you think about it. Lower trims will carry on with the existing interior since it’s already done and then re-use the Tahoe parts which were always higher shelf in the pickup...save a ton of money in redevelopment.

I agree with this. It fits in line with the semi-acknowledged notion that the T1 trucks were rushed to market in 2019. Taken out of the oven before they were fully baked, so to speak. Hence why ACC isn't available until MY 2020, but the 2019s have all the correct buttons for it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Now that GM has release the new Suburbans and Tahoes, I think we have some clues for the 1500 refreshes. 

My guess is an electronic drive selector to replace the column shifter, and adapting in the 10” infotainment screen. Otherwise, I’m not betting on many more drastic changes. 

SUV interior looks pretty nice, and not cheap looking (except for a few parts they shared with our trucks).

Hopefully they use similar, higher quality materials in the pickup refresh. But either way, the actual interior design theme of the SUV isn’t going to translate well into a full size pickup; fat chance it gets used in it’s current form in the truck. And that’s fine, it’s too carlike, clearly soccer mom oriented. ?

2 hours ago, Foghorn19 said:

Some shots of the just released 2021 Chevy Tahoe/Suburban Interiors.  Wonder if this is the Silverado/Sierra upgrade?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bye Bye column shifter....

spacer.png

I really hope that is not the new interior for the 2021 trucks.  Those types of infotainment screens are just fugly. 

That shifter should be a real pita to use with gloves or even large hands....  How do you even put it into park?

Only one glove box?  Loosing storage?

The hump on the dash over the gauges looks huge (probably just me and the angle).

That interior would make me not buy one....

13 minutes ago, blckblt said:

I really hope that is not the new interior for the 2021 trucks.  Those types of infotainment screens are just fugly. 

That shifter should be a real pita to use with gloves or even large hands....  How do you even put it into park?

Only one glove box?  Loosing storage?

The hump on the dash over the gauges looks huge (probably just me and the angle).

That interior would make me not buy one....

I could deal with everything other than the push button transmission.  None of the other stuff is earth shattering good or bad in my opinion, but honestly I think I'd opt for a Ram style dial over buttons.  Maybe GM won't sacrifice the column shifter in the new truck interiors.

Just now, Foghorn19 said:

I could deal with everything other than the push button transmission.  None of the other stuff is earth shattering good or bad in my opinion, but honestly I think I'd opt for a Ram style dial over buttons.  Maybe GM won't sacrifice the column shifter in the new truck interiors.

I currently have a ram with dial shifter.  After having a column shifter for years in various GM trucks and a console shifter in the tundra that I owned I can say that I miss having a real shifter.  I always liked to rest my hand on the shifter.  I honestly like the console shifter in my tundra the best.

RAM has safety featured the dial shifter so the truck can't roll away if left in gear and turned off, can't drive the truck with the door open etc etc....The dial has become a pita all because some people left their trucks in gear, didn't really hear of that being a problem with a real shifter...

• Like 1