2021 Silverado/Sierra interior update coming

23 hours ago, Donstar said:

Google '69 F100  or D100 interior and compare them to the '69 C10.  We use to make the same sort of comparisons back then but without the far reaching and immediate responses via the internet.  Looking back, I still liked the Ford the best!   ?  Is your buddy's truck modified, restored,  or original?

Only thing replaced is the upper end...heads,manifold,carburetor and air intake filter.  Nothing else changed other than tires..same trans and wood in the bed of the Stepside.  Keep offering 2,000 for it and get laughed at.... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thomcat said:

.02  Power pedals?  You've got a tilting and telescoping steering wheel and a 10 way power seat with enough adjustments to seat a 6.5" to some vertically challenged individual who is  too short to see over the steering wheel......you've got to have a really deformed anatomy to need power pedals also. Three years driving and hit the button once, on the first day. Besides who can miss that cheapo plastic carrier the pedals were mounted? Remember, many had to shoved a piece of wood or plastic under to keep the plastic bracket from flexing as you pushed on the accelerator and received delayed acceleration.

As for a holder for sunglasses.....one on dashboard another on console another in console and another on each side of the console, big enough to fit Elton John' s sunglasses.

And as for DFM.....a vast improvement over AFM.....it is essentially the same system minus all the troublesome operating crap that caused problems and made oil burners out of the '07 to '11s and collapsed many valve lifters.. No more LOMA with oil valves to leak and collapse lifters separate valves for each cylinder mounted directly in the block. No more LOMA oil discharge valve dumping bypass oil spraying into sump, washing the inactive AFM cylinder walls and clogging their oil control rings. The most unreliable and troublesome aspects of AFM were removed,  balance addressed and rebranded by placing the hardware directly on each cylinder fed oil independently by the ECU instead of a LOMA to bleed off excess oil from half of them. Comparable in principle to a throttle body fed induction manifold compared to direct injection.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11880

Don't have to be a seer to predict DFM is the future, GM is currently dumping the remaining stock of their AFMs (and 6 speeds) in the lower line and older models just like they are dumping their remaining inventory of discontinued K1s as '19 LDs.

I love the power pedals,my wife wouldn't be able to drive the truck without them.In a way that could be a good thing.I don't put any wood like you say.The reason I like them my wife wouldn't sit 10 inches from the steering wheel.And if you looked it up you would see that what you should be at.You can have all the greatest gadgets on your truck but it's still ugly.

• Like 1

I'm going to a 2019 from no truck at all, so I have nothing to compare it to, except my car. I wanted a truck, not a car. My car cannot haul, tow, or even carry as many passengers comfortably as my new Silverado Custom. My car didn't have a backup camera or 4WD, which the truck has. The car also didn't have heated seats or rear seat USB ports, so I won't miss those. I'll be losing the leather wrapping on the steering wheel, and the steering wheel-mounted radio controls, big whoop. The only thing I might miss is the fuel economy, but if that was a huge concern I wouldn't have bought a truck.

I enjoy how manufacturers trip over themselves to one-up each other with the latest shiny new gadgets. Sure, all these things are fun and nice to have, but are they really necessary? I'm not talking about obvious useful safety advances, just the frill that makes the interior feel posh, and any annoying nanny junk that attempts to do my driving for me. Not knocking anyone if that's what you want, but I'm not going to reject a brand because it lacks any of it.

Personally, I couldn't care less if my truck has soft-touch contrast-stitched leather padding on the dash. Am I going to sit on the dash? Am I going to periodically fondle and caress my dashboard while hauling furniture down the Thruway? I might get my hands dirty loading stuff in the bed, and get my dirty mitts all over the interior surfaces, and might want to be able to clean those surfaces easily and not worry about ruining them.

Regardless of whether current trends are sensible or not, apparently the market demands them. Marketing combined with envy helps convince people they "must have" something, even when they don't.

Sorry for ranting, I haven't had my coffee yet... ?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, UncleDave said:

I'm going to a 2019 from no truck at all, so I have nothing to compare it to, except my car. I wanted a truck, not a car. My car cannot haul, tow, or even carry as many passengers comfortably as my new Silverado Custom. My car didn't have a backup camera or 4WD, which the truck has. The car also didn't have heated seats or rear seat USB ports, so I won't miss those. I'll be losing the leather wrapping on the steering wheel, and the steering wheel-mounted radio controls, big whoop. The only thing I might miss is the fuel economy, but if that was a huge concern I wouldn't have bought a truck.

I enjoy how manufacturers trip over themselves to one-up each other with the latest shiny new gadgets. Sure, all these things are fun and nice to have, but are they really necessary? I'm not talking about obvious useful safety advances, just the frill that makes the interior feel posh, and any annoying nanny junk that attempts to do my driving for me. Not knocking anyone if that's what you want, but I'm not going to reject a brand because it lacks any of it.

Personally, I couldn't care less if my truck has soft-touch contrast-stitched leather padding on the dash. Am I going to sit on the dash? Am I going to periodically fondle and caress my dashboard while hauling furniture down the Thruway? I might get my hands dirty loading stuff in the bed, and get my dirty mitts all over the interior surfaces, and might want to be able to clean those surfaces easily and not worry about ruining them.

Regardless of whether current trends are sensible or not, apparently the market demands them. Marketing combined with envy helps convince people they "must have" something, even when they don't.

Sorry for ranting, I haven't had my coffee yet... ?

And, I like to rant while drinking my morning coffee.

First car had $110 in options, both a heater and an AM tube radio. And had no difficulty when I had to drive a 50's era no power nothing with 3 on the tree, 3 finger rod clutch w/non syncro 1st, manual choke, and fly window A/C, but now I don't have to, so I don't! Personally, they were better days because it kept inept would be drivers on the bus......nowadays with all the power conveniences a chimp can successfully drive a car better than many because they don't text on cell phones, read a paper or use the rear view  mirror to comb hair or apply makeup while driving 10 feet off your rear bumper. Case in point and fondest memory was in my teens when my friend and I tried to assist 2 MILFs in a '64 T bird stalled in traffic, they couldn't restart and we couldn't push to curb, found out because it was still in Drive, they gave us a lift and were very, very grateful. Alas, 45 years later an old fart - so what the heck, bring on the gizmos!

New $42K base truck has an MSRP of $56K and even that is not enough because it lacks my favorite options through the years like my self emptying ash tray,  remote liquid tire chain injectors in the trunk wheel wells, 327's 6" vacuum "power" gauge in front of the shotgun's bucket, stock air horns, auto buckling and auto-retracting seat belts and heated windshield washers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UncleDave said:

I enjoy how manufacturers trip over themselves to one-up each other with the latest shiny new gadgets. 

I agree with your comments but this one reminded me of my father-in-law grumbling when shopping for a new van in the early 80's.  He wanted it to be comfortable but didn't want to waste money on power steering.  Finding a well equipped vehicle without power steering was becoming difficult.  Automatic transmissions, power steering, power brakes and radio were characteristics of the high end trucks.  These features are now standard on the most basic trucks.

8 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

And, I like to rant while drinking my morning coffee.

First car had $110 in options, both a heater and an AM tube radio. And had no difficulty when I had to drive a 50's era no power nothing with 3 on the tree, 3 finger rod clutch w/non syncro 1st, manual choke, and fly window A/C, but now I don't have to, so I don't! 

It sounds like we cut our teeth on the same trucks.  Synchromesh and hydraulic clutches were refinements I welcomed.  I wish they kept the rest of the manual transmission driving experience available!

• Like 2

I hated the GMt900s when they were introduced in 06. You can probably find some of my harsh statements still on the site. Fast forward to 2009, I ended up ordering a 2010 model. [emoji38]

Ryan B.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

I hated the GMt900s when they were introduced in 06. You can probably find some of my harsh statements still on the site. Fast forward to 2009, I ended up ordering a 2010 model. emoji38.png

Ryan B.

I agree with you.I find it funny that not many complain about the 2016 to 18,because GM new that they had a winner.It's funny how many people are defending the T1.And rightfully so,you have alot money tied up in that truck,you don't want somebody keep telling you it's ugly.I bet the idiots that design it keep telling Barra don't worry the public is going to come around.I don't think so.Somebody did a drawing that  tweak  the front end and it looked great.That's what I'm saying just a tweak ,not a sledgehammer.

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

It sounds like we cut our teeth on the same trucks.  Synchromesh and hydraulic clutches were refinements I welcomed.  I wish they kept the rest of the manual transmission driving experience available!

I hear you on the manual transmissions . Really not much left but 4-5 small cars that offer them. 

BTW You sir are awesome. Always enjoy reading your posts! Always enjoy the life knowledge you give on trucks etc. I Mean that in a sincere way , you sound like my father.  :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cjc said:

I love the power pedals,my wife wouldn't be able to drive the truck without them.In a way that could be a good thing.I don't put any wood like you say.The reason I like them my wife wouldn't sit 10 inches from the steering wheel.And if you looked it up you would see that what you should be at.You can have all the greatest gadgets on your truck but it's still ugly.

Of course you don't put any wood like me, because you must have missed the 20 pages and hundreds of posts on the forum where seasoned mechanics installed this fix and said how it improved performance. Sure fixed my crappy adjustable pedals which were worse than the stationary ones.

And to drive around squinting with outdated halogens or mini lens HID projectors (Denalis used full sized lenses) instead of the new 4 prefocused high intensity Cobb LEDs on low beam and 6 on high and drive an older model to get power pedals just so one can sit a few inches further back is a poor excuse.

All, please forgive me I must digress....the U word did it! I'll try to make it short.....A group of sailors shipwreck on an island only to find another group of sailors previously shipwrecked on the island. Food is plentiful but the newbie group asked others: "with no women on the island what do you do for female companionship?" Were told, there's no women but there is a troop of female monkeys that we use for companionship. So.....Newbies selected a few and began dancing with them only to find the older group slapping their thighs, and rolling around on the ground laughing so hard that tears are coming from their eyes. Newbies asked "what's so funny, you guys said you also fraternize with female monkeys?"......."Yeah, but you guys picked out the Ugly ones!"

And with trucks as other things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....Ugly to some is mean to me......... and mine says  Grrrrrr. 

DSCN0588.JPG

DSCN0604.JPG

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Donstar said:

It's gone forever. Bought a '15 Camaro V6, 6 speed to regain the old feeling of my '69.  Can't go back, that Crapo Japo Aisin 6 speed with a vague shift pattern and mushy hydraulic clutch couldn't hold a candle to speed or feel of shifting my old Hurst 4 speed besides being uncomfortable and riding like a stone!

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

Of course you don't put any wood like me, because you must have missed the 20 pages and hundreds of posts on the forum where seasoned mechanics installed this fix and said how it improved performance. Sure fixed my crappy adjustable pedals which were worse than the stationary ones.

And to drive around squinting with outdated halogens or mini lens HID projectors (Denalis used full sized lenses) instead of the new 4 prefocused high intensity Cobb LEDs on low beam and 6 on high and drive an older model to get power pedals just so one can sit a few inches further back is a poor excuse.

All, please forgive me I must digress....the U word did it! I'll try to make it short.....A group of sailors shipwreck on an island only to find another group of sailors previously shipwrecked on the island. Food is plentiful but the newbie group asked others: "with no women on the island what do you do for female companionship?" Were told, there's no women but there is a troop of female monkeys that we use for companionship. So.....Newbies selected a few and began dancing with them only to find the older group slapping their thighs, and rolling around on the ground laughing so hard that tears are coming from their eyes. Newbies asked "what's so funny, you guys said you also fraternize with female monkeys?"......."Yeah, but you guys picked out the Ugly ones!"

And with trucks as other things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....Ugly to some is mean to me......... and mine says  Grrrrrr. 

DSCN0588.JPG

DSCN0604.JPG

Get your facts right I have led headlights.La looks like a red storm trooper instead of a white one.

15 minutes ago, Cjc said:

Get your facts right I have led headlights.La looks like a red storm trooper instead of a white one.

Got it: "Better the facts than the truth."

Red Storm Troopers White Storm troopers? What is this, Star Wars? .......forget the  '19 Silvy, might be more comfortable with a Tonka.

• Haha 1