Drop in bed liner

6 minutes ago, Jorge18 said:

Hi all, 

Bringing home my new truck in the next couple of days and would like to get a bed liner installed. The dealer is charging $399 for the bed liner, but I can't seem to find any aftermarket options. 

What does everyone recommend for a bed liner?

I've had both drop in and spray on liners and for me personally, I prefer the spray on liner for about $100 more than you were quoted for the drop in.

I have always liked the Rhino liners, but have had good luck with the factory spray ins that come with the LTZ (think it is Line-X).

Had a drop in one time in a Mazda B2200, did not really care for it due to the fact it was a very slick surface, especially when wet.

Longevity is not a big deal for me as I typically keep a vehicle no longer than 3-5 years. 

Keeping that in mind, would you still do a spray in? I called my local Line-X dealer and was quoted $499 for the standard and $599 for the premium. 

Edited by Jorge18

My 2000 has a drop in liner.  My 2014 had a drop in liner. 

My 2019 came with the factory spray-in. 

I personally like the look and feel of the non-skid surface of the spray in liner.  What concerns me is if I put a shovel to it...when getting dirt or mulch out of it.  I feel that I am going to chip it or dig into it.  Since I don't have a lot of experience with these things, maybe I am worried for nothing.

If it was up to me, I'd probably put a plastic drop in.

I feel you can abuse those, and if you tear it up...you can just replace it.

But, those aren't very popular anymore, as you are finding out since there are really no options for the 2019's in the aftermarket.

Do the GM drop in liners qualify for the 20% off sale?  Also, do you have some points through the Chevy rewards you can use?

If it's only $100 more I'd go Line X. But I know it's easy to spend other people's money.  For what it's worth I had Line X in my 2003 and looked amazing still when I traded it in for my current 2017, and I wasn't easy on it either.   First thing I did when I got my new truck was have it sprayed as well.  I also have a rubber mat to keep stuff from sliding, between the two it's damn near indestructible and looks darn good.  

Drop in liners will move and flex and if you have ever seen one come out that's been in a while you will be amazed at the amount of paint that gets scuffed up pretty badly.  But, if you plan to sell or trade every few years that may not be a concern to you.  Spray in I'd think you may retain a little more value come resell time too? 

My old ford had a spray on rhino liner. My 19 1500 is just getting a bed mat. My issue is with the rhino, is you can’t drag stuff in and out without scratching it all up. I do woodworking and moving sheets of nice ply in and out was always a pain. If I’m gonna need the mat to protect it anyway, what’s the point of the bed liner?

Just my two cents. I plan on ordering the rough country bed mat soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prior to my 2019, my last truck was a 1993 Ford Ranger.  Back then a drop-in liner was the thing, so when I bought this truck I negotiated to have one thrown in (which they did without question).  I wish I purchased my truck with the spray-on liner, but I also put a bed mat on top of my drop-in liner (to reduce slippage of storage and to save my knees).  The drop-in has small storage on the sides with small cargo nets and doesn't look bad.  

Here's the bed rug for another option:

https://bedrug.com/bedrug-impact-bedliner/2019/chevrolet/silverado-1500

I prefer a drop in liner, had a 2 spray-ins in my past trucks and wasn't a fan of them. Was hauling logs one time and dropped one in the bed probably weighted 15-20 lbs dent as big as a baseball in the floor of the bed (damn it) and started to look ugly a few years later. 2nd one in my 2012 Silverado hauling stove and frig. trying to slide it put a big gouge and scratches in the liner (line-x) damn it again. Drop ins for me from here on out never had a problem with them, have a rubber mat on the floor to stop sliding and if I need to haul big items just remove the mat so I can slide it.

Don't let people tell you they rust the bed out yes they do chafe the paint but don't rust the bed. We had a 92 chevy at work with a drop-in liner in it since it was new then it turned into a truck to run around inside the company property due to it couldn't be on the road no more about 3 years ago they junked it the only place where the truck wasn't rusted out was the inside of the bed where the liner was.