Outsourced Warranty Work???

SamDSJR

So I have the dreaded rear window leak, and I took my truck in today to start the adventure.

Among the more interesting things my dealer said was the fact that they wouldn't be handling this issue at all - that instead all leaks go to an "outsourced specialized leak detection company." I even stood right there while he called the company on speaker and talked to the guy to arrange them to come pick up the truck. Has anyone else heard of this?

Some other great quotes of the day from the dealer regarding my window leak (as you can imagine, I was well prepared with forum printouts, pictures, technical service bulletins, etc.) -

1. "Yeah those interwebs geniuses think they know it all."
  2. "No, this is the first time I've ever heard of a Silverado leaking."
  3. "No, there's no way in hell they will pay to replace the back seat/carpet for mold. This is all in-organic material now that GM puts in these things. They don't grow mold."
  4. "No, GM does not make car payments if its here too long, and we sure as hell won't."
  5. "GM rolls out 1000 trucks a day. 37 people on a forum complaining isn't a major problem. It's a normal manufacturing defect."

I didn't even bother to start arguing. I just figured I'll start with the sugar before I have to switch to piss and vinegar. But damn. Just wow is all I can say. I mean, do they really think people are that stupid? "They don't grow mold." I mean, I don't consider myself to be a smart man, but even I know molds gonna grow where molds gonna get.

Its gonna be a fun one that's for sure!

Edited by SamDSJR
Forgot info
  • Like 1

The guy sounds like an idiot but unfortunatly you started with piss and vinegar when you came in with forum printouts, pictures, technical service bulletins, etc. Especialy forum printouts.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SamDSJR said:

So I have the dreaded rear window leak, and I took my truck in today to start the adventure.

Among the more interesting things my dealer said was the fact that they wouldn't be handling this issue at all - that instead all leaks go to an "outsourced specialized leak detection company." I even stood right there while he called the company on speaker and talked to the guy to arrange them to come pick up the truck. Has anyone else heard of this?

Some other great quotes of the day from the dealer regarding my window leak (as you can imagine, I was well prepared with forum printouts, pictures, technical service bulletins, etc.) -

1. "Yeah those interwebs geniuses think they know it all."
  2. "No, this is the first time I've ever heard of a Silverado leaking."
  3. "No, there's no way in hell they will pay to replace the back seat/carpet for mold. This is all in-organic material now that GM puts in these things. They don't grow mold."
  4. "No, GM does not make car payments if its here too long, and we sure as hell won't."
  5. "GM rolls out 1000 trucks a day. 37 people on a forum complaining isn't a major problem. It's a normal manufacturing defect."

I didn't even bother to start arguing. I just figured I'll start with the sugar before I have to switch to piss and vinegar. But damn. Just wow is all I can say. I mean, do they really think people are that stupid? "They don't grow mold." I mean, I don't consider myself to be a smart man, but even I know molds gonna grow where molds gonna get.

Its gonna be a fun one that's for sure!

You meet a new one everday.  My dealer had Safelite replace my windshield before I would take it.  They used OE glass and did it at the dealer but I thought a person at the dealer would be doing it.  Probably cheaper to contract the labor out.

Not leak specific out sourcing but dealers often out source work when they don't have the staff or facilities. For instance,  both GM dealer here do not have auto body shops so that work goes out to several local shops.  Also some out source alignment work and transmission work. Smaller dealers don't have the expertise in some repairs.

I had a warning for trailer brake controller and had appointment at GMC dealer. Left the truck, gave me a loaner.  Called later in the day to say truck was done. I was a few blocks away so went right over. Truck was not there?  A few minutes later in it comes being driving by person from the Chevy dealer few miles away. SM said his tech called in sick and he sent to the Chevy dealer, they have some agreement to handle his overflow.  They had to order parts and when the parts came in GMC dlr gave me a loaner and sent the truck over to the Chevy dealer.  His tech ended up quitting and leaving them short handed.  Same corp owned both dealers + 7 others.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, tbarn said:

The guy sounds like an idiot but unfortunatly you started with piss and vinegar when you came in with forum printouts, pictures, technical service bulletins, etc. Especialy forum printouts.

Well spoken. Didn't even think of that. Sad but true.

3 minutes ago, SamDSJR said:

Well spoken. Didn't even think of that. Sad but true.

No i don't think you came in looking for a fight, more prepared than anything imo. I think the responses your service writer gave you though is pretty telling and i won't be surprised to see you post an update here not happy with how you were treated and the work they have done. A good service writer will listen and then try and make the customer happy, sounds like you have the "i am always right" kind of guy and good luck with that!

• Like 2

Leak detection company? Business must be good for them with these trucks!

In all seriousness, I could see them farming out the glass replacement, of course. But finding a leak? My dealer did that with a garden hose. 

2 hours ago, tbarn said:

That guy should know that internet is more popular then ever and given the proper respect . Even if his DumbAss didnt believe/agree with it.   This is how you get bad reviews online and then shocker they call you back to try and smooth things over . Sorry this is not 2001 , we are now in the internet age where everything is online. A paying customer who brings you document , should be respected just like the old lady who dosent know squat. Half the time i had found out the service reps and sales reps dont know anything about the vehicle they sale and service. 

• Like 1

Half the time i had found out the service reps and sales reps dont know anything about the vehicle they sale and service. 

IMO

Most if not all the time I know more about a product than the sales rep because I do my research.

:)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

That guy should know that internet is more popular then ever and given the proper respect . Even if his DumbAss didnt believe/agree with it.   This is how you get bad reviews online and then shocker they call you back to try and smooth things over . Sorry this is not 2001 , we are now in the internet age where everything is online. A paying customer who brings you document , should be respected just like the old lady who dosent know squat. Half the time i had found out the service reps and sales reps dont know anything about the vehicle they sale and service. 

When pricing info first started to appear the dealers would laugh in your face, saying it is all BS, you're wasting your time, you should be taliking to us, yada-yada. There is a very good reason smart people have so little respect for dealers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

That guy should know that internet is more popular then ever and given the proper respect . Even if his DumbAss didnt believe/agree with it.  This is how you get bad reviews online and then shocker they call you back to try and smooth things over . Sorry this is not 2001 , we are now in the internet age where everything is online. A paying customer who brings you document , should be respected just like the old lady who dosent know squat. Half the time i had found out the service reps and sales reps dont know anything about the vehicle they sale and service. 

Have you seen all the misinformation from forums? I would act just like the service advisor, they are professionals and that is their job, let them do it. Coming in with a stack of papers from a forum and quotes is basically you saying you think you know more than them or the tech and chances are very high you don't. The last thing they want is print out from online experts who are more than likely 20 years old and just leased their first vehicle or old guys stuck with how they think things should work or be done because that is how it was in the 60's. Popular doesn't mean right, there is a ton of miss-information to weed through before getting to the right information. A TSB is good but they should be able to get that readily available.

Drop the truck off, take your loaner and let them work on it. If you have to go back then raise the stakes...

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Half the time i had found out the service reps and sales reps dont know anything about the vehicle they sale and service. 

IMO

Most if not all the time I know more about a product than the sales rep because I do my research.

:)

You mean sell? Kind of curious how serious this post is. If you can't take the time to proof read do you actually take the time to research thoroughly to actually know more than the service or sales rep? 

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970