53 foot trailer. Wait! What??

That pickup is squatting just under the weight of that tongue, that thing is heavy duty!

At least he's got the safety chains connected, I don't see any problem with this setup.

• Like 3

Could be any number of things:

-weight of trailer alone (and empty) could exceed trucks tow rating

-brakes...looks like a hose is connected, but who knows how that's rigged up

-lights (looks like it may have some kind of wireless setup, may or may not work)

-driver's license rating, or overall length

-safety chains that are connected look way light.  You can see the much heavier chains just hanging there, but don't fit in the spots available on the truck (also a hint that truck can't tow it)

Fascinating!  The weird thing is that I was looking at an empty 53' yesterday thinking that it would make an interesting tiny home project.  I was wondering what the smallest vehicle is that could move this project.   (I'm not doing it, just daydreaming)   I've seen those extra sets of tow wheels/dolly advertised for pulling large 5th wheel travel trailers with a 1/2 ton.  

The trailer has air brakes, how would he be supplying air to them, and how did he get them broke loose without backing them out so far that they are not even functional?

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Driver charged with what exactly?

The driver was charged with over-length vehicle and prohibited use of a slow moving sign.  

1/2 " tow pin. Air comp in the back of the pickup to release brakes. No service brakes, no tongue weight. And an SMV sign This is why the definition of -"implement of husbandry" needs to be tightened up.

5.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve pulled some heavy loads with a fifth wheel. I used one purpose built trailer with vacuum, hydraulic brakes that would stop anything on it’s back. Equipment with cabs that were heavy and wind drag would keep me at 60-65 miles per hour max. I probably pulled that combo 1 million miles in the 20 years I did it all over the US doing demos etc. I wouldn’t go around the block with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

Just curious how you know all this?  We’re you the charging officer?  

Negative - Just following in the local news.  This is the same road my kids get on the school bus and hate seeing bullshit rigs like this.  

• Like 3