53 foot trailer. Wait! What??

22 hours ago, silveradosid said:

he would not have functional brakes, it takes one air line to release the brakes, it takes another line to apply them and the weight of that trailer is closer to 18k

Correct! All the airline is doing on that trailer is releasing the brakes. I would say he has a small air compressor providing air in the bed of the truck where that line is coming from. The tank on the trailer looks to be for something else as it has an hydraulic style connection on that hose.  The dolly is taking the weight of the trailer. He's basically just pulling it along.

Edited by 2016 Sierra Owner

On 12/22/2019 at 4:00 PM, Joe98 said:

I can’t believe the word “ McIver” hasn’t been mentioned yet ..... lol.   Wow ..As soon as I saw the Ontario license plate...oh.oh..Never thought I’d ever see anything like that.   A shame they don’t reveal where exactly in Ontario it is...

I know 'pretty much' where this was... the original news report had it on side road just west of Simcoe, Ontario (about an hour from myself).  My brother-in-law is OPP for that area and I'm sure I'll be able to get a few comments from him on this one over the holidays....

On 12/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, blckblt said:

Just saw this on MSN and thought I would share....  Scary to think someone thought this was safe....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/chevy-silverado-driver-ticketed-for-towing-53-foot-long-trailer/ar-BBYcrmT?li=BBnbfcL

A lot of thought went into this setup and it was being pulled by a Duramax, definitely not unsafe.  I reckon the guy was making the move during a time of slow traffic and that it was not a very long run.  There's hardly any weight on the truck since he's using a dolly.  Easy peasy run.

I drove OTR for over a decade.  On its best day, completely empty, that trailer alone weighs in around 13,500 lbs.  That bogey setup he has it attached to is another 1,000-2,000 lbs, easy.  

In a panic stop, that rig is going to fold up like a cheap lawn chair and shove the whole works down the road. 

Unfortunate that more charges couldn't have been issued here, that's a nasty accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1

I drove OTR for over a decade.  On its best day, completely empty, that trailer alone weighs in around 13,500 lbs.  That bogey setup he has it attached to is another 1,000-2,000 lbs, easy.  

In a panic stop, that rig is going to fold up like a cheap lawn chair and shove the whole works down the road. 

Unfortunate that more charges couldn't have been issued here, that's a nasty accident waiting to happen.

This. I’m a trucker as well. This is super unsafe. Ingenuity at its finest though.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:00 PM, johnboy105 said:

I know 'pretty much' where this was... the original news report had it on side road just west of Simcoe, Ontario (about an hour from myself).  My brother-in-law is OPP for that area and I'm sure I'll be able to get a few comments from him on this one over the holidays....

I grew up around there.... probably a farmer who rigged it up to move hay bales or vegetable crates or something.

I've seen a lot of similar levels of jerry-rigging, so I'm not real surprised. Most of them never leave the farm though. 

Edited by jonny24
  • Like 1

Those dollies are actually pretty common for tractors and other smaller vehicles to move trailers around a yard, not meant for this. If he had to pile on the brakes the trailer would shove the dolly sideways then the truck the other way ending up with an accordion. Doesn't surprise me coming out of southern Ontario, he probably teaches the new-Canadian CDL course when he isn't doing sketchy tows.