53 foot trailer. Wait! What??

They said standard 1/2 ton pickup, I assumed 6 lugs was 1/2 ton. Maybe im wrong. I'm also assuming the big tank is full of compressed air, and with a valve he could actually get some decent braking. I'm wondering what an empty trailer weighs. I'm thinking it may not be all gloom and doom.

I don't see the scary part. Illegal yeah, unsafe not really if kept a lower speed on back roads. He could be traveling 3 miles at 30 mph, no problem there. It is being flat towed and probably empty. I've seen 5th wheels in the country holding and towing probably more weight in bales of hay. That is the chance you take, he got caught. Now if he was trying to run across the state at 80 mph then yeah, that guy is an idiot, but I highly doubt that was what he was doing. 

Tyler

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoginedgewood said:

They said standard 1/2 ton pickup, I assumed 6 lugs was 1/2 ton. Maybe im wrong. I'm also assuming the big tank is full of compressed air, and with a valve he could actually get some decent braking. I'm wondering what an empty trailer weighs. I'm thinking it may not be all gloom and doom.

No, that big tank looks more like a fuel tank, given the size of the inlet on the top right of the tank, and the hose on the left end of the tank.  If there is any air being connected, it'll be the small line you see draped over the tailgate that appears connected to the air inlet of the trailer.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Around here, the driver would've either ended up UNDER the jail, or had a sheriff's car running blocker for him, depending on what county it is and whether the sheriff is the pickup driver's brother-in-law or cousin.  

Our OPP police is nowhere near hard core like your State troopers. If he was not impaired and had a legal licence then he just got a hefty fine and called his buddy to pick him up. His rig gets impounded.

2 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

I don't see the scary part. Illegal yeah, unsafe not really if kept a lower speed on back roads. He could be traveling 3 miles at 30 mph, no problem there. It is being flat towed and probably empty. I've seen 5th wheels in the country holding and towing probably more weight in bales of hay. That is the chance you take, he got caught. Now if he was trying to run across the state at 80 mph then yeah, that guy is an idiot, but I highly doubt that was what he was doing. 

Tyler

Fortunately, laws and regulations aren't set at that low level.  Even at 30mph, if he has to make a panic stop for any reason, or there is any problem with that cobbled together hitch, it suddenly becomes a real problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoginedgewood said:

The title is wrong. It's a 3/4 ton duramax. By no means does this still make it alright. Lol

I’m not condoning his actions but I’ve seen worse. As dangerous as that seams, it’s probably safer than all of the idiots out there running down the interstate at 80mph pulling loaded trailers with no working brakes or lights. He at least was smart enough to have functioning brakes and lights. An empty 53’ trailer weighs around 13,000 lbs so he’s safely within that HD’s tow rating. Judging  by the SMV triangle on the back, I assume he was probably staying under 30mph. 

I can’t believe the word “ McIver” hasn’t been mentioned yet ..... lol.   Wow ..As soon as I saw the Ontario license plate...oh.oh..Never thought I’d ever see anything like that.   A shame they don’t reveal where exactly in Ontario it is...