MPG Expectation 35” Tires

My 2014 2500 Crew 4x4 has a 6” lift with 35” tires, Mickey Thompson AT if that matters enough to mention. 4.10 

I’m getting a horrible 8 mpg. Now a 2500 isn’t best in the world to begin with, loaded down with a commercial topper and constant weight was getting 11-12 city with a heavy foot. Trailer 10. And always had 1 to 2 sizes up in tires. 265 was 275 or 285. 275 was always a nice median. But 8 is just crazy land!!! 

So first, is this normal? And if it is, is it even worth my time / cost to go down to 34’s?  I wouldn’t think so but I also remember going from 285 to 275 and there was a huge difference across the board.

Normally I wouldn’t care but I happen to be taking off on a 2 year road trip cross country and I can already see my pocketbook being hurt...

Edited by Plumber101010

Sounds about right for a large lift and stupid heavy tires with an engine that never got good mpg to begin with. The 6.0 will drink fuel when you make it's life harder.

Our GMC work van with a 6.0 that weighs about 10k lbs everyday only gets 9-10 on the open road.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Sounds about right for a large lift and stupid heavy tires with an engine that never got good mpg to begin with. The 6.0 will drink fuel when you make it's life harder.

Our GMC work van with a 6.0 that weighs about 10k lbs everyday only gets 9-10 on the open road.

Assuming standard tires correct? So if you went up in tire size, yeah you’d be about me too!  Makes me feel a little better at least because it sounds like you carry on your van just about what I carry on my truck daily!  Identical situation with identical mileage WITHOUT Flintstone tires

Lol my 6.2 with stock tires towing my 6k lbs travel trailer the worst I have gotten was 9.5 mpg

So yea I would say 8 is horrible

I used to have a 3/4 ton with the 6.0 and it got 11 mpg on 34s, but it also had 300k miles on it. Same truck got about 10 while towing my 3500lb boat. So something is wrong with your truck 

Edited by YukonXL04

Well that’s what I’m trying to find out, whether the company that did all of the mods on this vehicle before it was sold new did anything to the engine. I just don’t want to have to bother bringing it somewhere like a dealer to find out that’s normal. 

So far however it doesn’t sound like it’s anything abnormal based on my set up POSSIBLY.  The more people that Chime in will help lol

Edited by Plumber101010

11 minutes ago, Plumber101010 said:

Well that’s what I’m trying to find out, whether the company that did all of the mods on this vehicle before it was sold new did anything to the engine. I just don’t want to have to bother bringing it somewhere like a dealer to find out that’s normal. 

So far however it doesn’t sound like it’s anything abnormal based on my set up POSSIBLY.  The more people that Chime in will help lol

Lol my 2000 2500 6.0 with 300k miles and burns oil on 34s towing a 3500lbs boat gets better mileage than you...

Something is seriously wrong with your truck. 

Everyone I know have 5.3s on 35s get between 12-15. Your getting 8. So either you drive with your foot to the floor the whole time, or something is wrong with your truck.

Granted 5.3s get better mileage stock than stock 6.0s. I get that, but no way should you be getting 8...

36 minutes ago, YukonXL04 said:

Lol my 2000 2500 6.0 with 300k miles and burns oil on 34s towing a 3500lbs boat gets better mileage than you...

Something is seriously wrong with your truck. 

Everyone I know have 5.3s on 35s get between 12-15. Your getting 8. So either you drive with your foot to the floor the whole time, or something is wrong with your truck.

Granted 5.3s get better mileage stock than stock 6.0s. I get that, but no way should you be getting 8...

Well if you think about it it’s not that far off.  I carry a couple thousand pounds of weight daily and 35’s are a huge chunk of concrete.

Normal with 275 is 10-11. I’m at 8.  Easy to imagine that the large tires would eat up 2 Mpg  don’t you think?

Edited by Plumber101010

2 hours ago, Plumber101010 said:

Yes, exactly, and my statement was based on the REPLIES!!!!! One of which you did NOT bother  to make, other than this sarcastic reply trying to start an argument....

2nd, the people who are saying that are NOT driving a 6.0 but a 5.3 and there’s a world of difference. In fact the only other person who did have a 6.0 said that it is the normal!

Get your facts straight!!!  And you are not the voice of the masses by the way....claiming US  would only apply if you had actually made a decent comment prior...:

What are you actually carrying around? Is it truly 2-3k lbs? Anything very non aerodynamic? What's your driving habits?

As far as the comparison to a 5.3, your loss should be less than the 2-3 mpg, 

Most 5.3s are 3.43 geared and less power/torque.

Your 6.0 is 4.11s you said, and should make more HP and torque.

5.3s used to struggle on 35s, where a 6.0 shouldn't. Just torque and gearing differences.

So lastly I say you have a problem, but I'm done providing various reasons and examples. You say it's normal so it's normal. Drive on!

14 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

What are you actually carrying around? Is it truly 2-3k lbs? Anything very non aerodynamic? What's your driving habits?

As far as the comparison to a 5.3, your loss should be less than the 2-3 mpg, 

Most 5.3s are 3.43 geared and less power/torque.

Your 6.0 is 4.11s you said, and should make more HP and torque.

5.3s used to struggle on 35s, where a 6.0 shouldn't. Just torque and gearing differences.

So lastly I say you have a problem, but I'm done providing various reasons and examples. You say it's normal so it's normal. Drive on!

Why do people always have to ruin a thread?  Why do people not fully read whats written?  Does anybody care to notice that I ended my post with “Don’t you think?” Meaning am I wrong in that assumption?

Everybody is too damn quick to look for and start arguments. One of the very first posts I received by Camgtp was with a van who had the EXACT same set up as mine and was getting the EXACT same mileage!!!!  From there it was 5.3 

His one and only post verified to me that what was taking place was not that hard to believe.  

Why is everyone ignoring his post as if he never posted???

Why does everyone act like his post is useless and meaningless???

So his experience is less important than your experience???

So whatever you say is the Bible and nobody else’s opinion is allowed???

I can’t base anything that’s happening to me on a “few” posts!  I’m waiting for a dozen different people who have a 6.0 and 35‘s, not a couple... ESPECIALLY  when one of the couple say it’s NORMAL!!!!

You seem to be upset that your one and only post was not sufficient enough for me to assume that what was taking place with me is abnormal? 

And your questions were already answered.  If you had read my original post.  Asking me for my driving habits? I said “A HEAVY FOOT”.  I said carrying a lot of weight?  That pretty much answers your questions.

I’m just getting sick and tired of people being mean and rude and sarcastic and all around JERKS!!!!

You were very nice with your original posts, but must be friends with the Jacoby I am assuming  for you to suddenly change your face.

I hear what you said. Great. I got it. Now I’m waiting to see if there are other people with similar experiences. One guy said it’s normal, you say it’s not. Excuse me if I don’t drop dead on your opinion that it’s not!!!

Edited by Plumber101010

I must have missed the heavy foot part, you never did describe what you carry around, all good.

You might try in the HD section, and you might find more 2500 6.0 owners. Here its all half tons and 5.3s or 6.2s

I'll leave your thread alone

39 minutes ago, YukonXL04 said:

I must have missed the heavy foot part, you never did describe what you carry around, all good.

You might try in the HD section, and you might find more 2500 6.0 owners. Here its all half tons and 5.3s or 6.2s

I'll leave your thread alone

:)  It’s all good too!  I appreciate your input.  I didn’t describe what I was carrying around because it’s meaningless. 2500 pounds is 2500 pounds, I didn’t think it mattered if it was wood or tools or equipment.  Honestly it doesn’t have absolutely any bearing at all on what’s taking place. Weight is weight.  If I happened to have had some kind of a big commercial topper (I do) that’s tall and creating wind resistance then I would have mentioned it.  But in this case I had calculated the mileage before I put the topper on. 

I’m sorry to lash out at you.  I actually thought you were being extremely nice and VERY helpful  and all of your posts started off with LOL, so I thought cool I have another fellow comedian out there, until your last one so it kind of confused me!!!

Truth is I got VERY irritated at Jacoby.. there is always that one person that acts like he’s the representative of the entire forum.  Always that one guy that is quick to jump up and say I speak for everybody, and why are you on here asking questions if you don’t wanna listen to the answers? Which normally ALWAYS means I disagreed with his LOL.

There is a weird misunderstanding that anytime somebody ask a question it automatically implies they are some dumb ass that doesn’t know anything about trucks, is clueless and not allowed to have his own opinions and doesn’t know the difference between a ratchet and a screwdriver.

For some reason lots of people assume that if someone is asking a question that means that person is not allowed to have his own opinion.

But Jacoby was WAY out of place, had no right to say what he said, didn’t even bother to read all of the posts. He just popped on after that ONE post and starts with the babbling rhetoric that if I have read once I have read 1 million times from guys like him “why do you come here asking US questions if you’re not going to listen to the answers?”

As if god forbid I’m NOT allowed to disagree with something someone posted, because you know, I’m asking questions so I don’t know what a screwdriver is! LMAO :)

I just hung up the phone with the company that did all of the work to the truck (I asked them a week ago and they never responded so I tried again) and he told me it’s absolutely and perfectly normal. They do nothing but upfits on brand new vehicle before they are sold new and he said yes, that kind of mileage is perfectly normal, so my question has been answered!