Backup camera is useless in dark and dangerous. You can’t see mirrors with the bright light on the dash.

Phil7

The screen brightness on my 8" infotainment screen can be controlled at night with the dash buttons used for LED back lighting of the instrument panel. I find it necessary when using the Nav at night to dim the black background of the night screen.

And the HD camera and HD screen (convenience II package) and stock halogens in the backup lenses provide more than enough lighting and contrast for backing situations in total darkness although the lenses of the rear taillamps provide a faint geometric pattern on the pavement.

Edited by Thomcat

My 2020 trail boss with the convenience package 2, I turn the instrument panel brightness down about 50 % and my back up screen is not to bright. I have an LT loaner base trim truck right now and when I tried backing into driveway at night I was indeed blinded by the light of the backup screen. I didn't look to see if the base Lt has the buttons to dim the info screen but ill check next time I drive it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

My 2020 trail boss with the convenience package 2, I turn the instrument panel brightness down about 50 % and my back up screen is not to bright. I have an LT loaner base trim truck right now and when I tried backing into driveway at night I was indeed blinded by the light of the backup screen. I didn't look to see if the base Lt has the buttons to dim the info screen but ill check next time I drive it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

On my 2019 LT, the dimmer button does nothing to the screen when the backup camera is on. When I put it in drive, the "regular" screen (radio, climate, etc) respects my dimmer settings, but whenever the backup camera is up and I'm in reverse, it's full on stadium lighting.

Pretty annoying, my wifes 2016 Malibu adjusts with the dimmer, and that's an LT also.

Complain on the NHTSA website. Have your VIN. Takes 5 minutes. This is the only way to get GMs attention because they could not care less about customer satisfaction.  It is a safety issue first and foremost. 

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Edited by cltsig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 1000 lumen LED backup lights in both my 2019 and 2016 Silverados and I can see clearly when backing either up.  I have never had the infotainment screen brightness cause any problems for me when using the mirrors in either truck.

On 12/29/2019 at 10:18 AM, nichos said:

On my 2019 LT, the dimmer button does nothing to the screen when the backup camera is on. When I put it in drive, the "regular" screen (radio, climate, etc) respects my dimmer settings, but whenever the backup camera is up and I'm in reverse, it's full on stadium lighting.

Pretty annoying, my wifes 2016 Malibu adjusts with the dimmer, and that's an LT also.

Screen dimming may only work on the optional HD camera and HD radio screen, definitely works with the same two -/+ buttons in the lighting cluster controlling dash back lighting. Will noticeably dim at night and really helps on Nav and backup camera screens.

DSCN0734.JPG.a0529488125479a6407187399dee11e3.JPG

36 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

Screen dimming may only work on the optional HD camera and HD radio screen, definitely works with the same two -/+ buttons in the lighting cluster controlling dash back lighting. Will noticeably dim at night and really helps on Nav and backup camera screens.

DSCN0734.JPG.a0529488125479a6407187399dee11e3.JPG

Yep, those were the buttons I was trying. How can I tell if I have an "HD Camera" or not?

46 minutes ago, nichos said:

Yep, those were the buttons I was trying. How can I tell if I have an "HD Camera" or not?

It comes in Convenience Package II on LT and RST and standard on the higher trims. If you have an SD card reader next to your USB ports, you have the HD rear vision camera.

• Like 1