Update: Clunk Thump Knock noise front end resolved 2017 Silverado 1500

Had a horrible noise in the left front the dealership mechanics could not find anything wrong with sway bar link or any other potential noise maker; they said everything was tight and they could not prove the suspension was leaking. If it is not leaking then the warranty service will not cover it. I just had Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable suspension installed front and rear. The left front Rancho had internal problems you could compress it by hand but it would not return even when removed from the vehicle. It had some internal damage from bottoming out hard.

Bilstein 5100 is a phenomenal ride on the road. Rancho suspension should never even be considered if you are upgrading suspension on any vehicle. It is extremely bouncy compared to Bilstein; the return is not strong at all it is simply just a horrible suspension for a stock truck with an off-road package. This is two Chevy Silverado half-tons in a row that I have upgraded and the difference is day and night. Ebay $350; if you apply for the eBay MasterCard you get a $50 statement credit so I got a set of four Bilstein 5100’s for $300 plus tax free shipping. The eBay MasterCard deal expires the 31st. I just received my statement in the mail by coincidence and it indeed does have the $50 credit. A local dirt track race car man installed the suspension and only asked for $125 he said it was very easy and user-friendly.

Before the installation the front end fender wells were 2.75 inches lower than the rear. With the suspension set on the highest setting I have raised 2 inches in the front.

I stopped by the dealership and told them just to provide feedback in case it helps them with this type of noise troubleshooting in the future. I am extremely happy it is just amazing how much difference there is between Rancho and Bilstein.

With Bilstein:

b1d0cf448d1c97deede8c2807249ae69.jpg

With Bilstein 5100 highest setting; now only 3/4” lower than rear; which is much harder to notice with the naked eye. Chevy trucks in stock condition have a helluva rake; this gives me what I need while not sacrificing a superior ride on the road and it will allow me to put a 33 inch tire on.

I will go on a quest for tires tomorrow.

Here are photos in stock condition with Ranchos and with 2.75” rake from rear to front.

673f80d4142b5a731e17ab5b668b9b37.jpgef043a0ab6675b8e20a22bec12bda5d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rouzer said:

Rancho suspension should never even be considered if you are upgrading suspension on any vehicle. 

Sorry but real Ranchos are decent and comparable to Bilsteins.  The OEM Chevy Z71 Ranchos are total shit though. 

Edited by m3n00b
  • Like 1

Sorry but real Ranchos are decent and comparable to Bilsteins.  The OEM Chevy Z71 Ranchos are total shit though. 

Don’t get me wrong I’m not here to bash Ranchos although I am very disappointed that equipment like this is part of a brand new truck. I’m sure rancho does have higher quality options. Make no mistake; as a consumer I will be very against spending my hard-earned money on a Rancho product just because of the experiences I’ve had. But you know how it is when you have a bad experience with a certain brand and an excellent experience with another brand; that is where I’m at; my experience definitely causes me to lean towards being loyal to Bilstein.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not here to bash Ranchos although I am very disappointed that equipment like this is part of a brand new truck. I’m sure rancho does have higher quality options. But you know how it is when you have a bad experience with a certain brand and an excellent experience with another brand; that is where I’m at; my experience definitely causes me to lean towards being loyal to Bilstein.

I totally get where you're coming from. I also would choose Bilstein over Rancho but not because they slap their name on OEM garbage.

The knocking noise is probably this!

You know that top nut that you tighten back down to hold the top strut plate? The one where you count the exposed threads so you know how far to go on reassembly?

Don't use the Bilstein one. Use your OEM nut.

The supplied one doesn't have threads near the bottom of the nut like the OEM one does, so there is an itty bitty amount of play that creates the knocking sound I think you are describing.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

This is the OEM strut nut skip is speaking of. The pic is taken from the bottom to show how the thread starts about a 1/4" up the nut. This pulls the strut into the mount and creates a somewhat pressed fit. Struts will knock when they fail and the sound is the same either way.505e580d04047ced92467a773f955dfa.jpg

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

This is the OEM strut nut skip is speaking of. The pic is taken from the bottom to show how the thread starts about a 1/4" up the nut. This pulls the strut into the mount and creates a somewhat pressed fit. Struts will knock when they fail and the sound is the same either way.505e580d04047ced92467a773f955dfa.jpg

Thanks for the backup. I knew I read it here and when I've done my Bilstein swaps, I've reused factory nuts for that reason.

• Like 1

Thanks for the backup. I knew I read it here and when I've done my Bilstein swaps, I've reused factory nuts for that reason.

Np. This is the most important part of the swap. What's sad is I actually called around to big name shops and they are clueless to its importance.[emoji51]

• Like 1

Np. This is the most important part of the swap. What's sad is I actually called around to big name shops and they are clueless to its importance.[emoji51]

I swapped mine myself on my 2014 and am about to do the swap on my 2017 when the mood strikes.

I just love that cushy Z85 ride, but I realize finding that with aftermarket shocks will be a lost cause, and I do not want to pay dealer prices for parts. Running it for all it's worth!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys; my knocking sound went away with the Bilstein installation. The Rancho that came off was no good with no nitrogen charge. The dealership told me it wasn’t leaking and they couldn’t replace it if it wasn’t leaking. That would probably piss a lot of people off but I knew I could not get Bilsteins under warranty replacement anyway so i was on my own.

I’m curious about the OEM nut vs Supplied now; I’ll have to inspect.

I swapped mine myself on my 2014 and am about to do the swap on my 2017 when the mood strikes.

I just love that cushy Z85 ride, but I realize finding that with aftermarket shocks will be a lost cause, and I do not want to pay dealer prices for parts. Running it for all it's worth!

They say it can be cushy comfy, but its pricey. Gotta pay to play I reckon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys; my knocking sound went away with the Bilstein installation. The Rancho that came off was no good with no nitrogen charge. The dealership told me it wasn’t leaking and they couldn’t replace it if it wasn’t leaking. That would probably piss a lot of people off but I knew I could not get Bilsteins warranty replacement anyway so i was on my own.

I’m curious about the OEM nut vs Supplied now; I’ll have to inspect.

Swap it or have someone swap it bud. Save yourself the headache later on.