Flowmaster American thunder series installed

I installed the Flowmaster American thunder series exhaust with the quad black tips a few days ago. It looks killer! But I really wish it was louder, I’ll be swapping the super 40 out for something more aggressive in the near feature. But it’s got a really nice tone that’s not overbearing at all, I’ve had the super 44 before and it’s a lot deeper but I prefer the tone of the super 40. I paid $1000 CAD for it, the Borla were all in the $18-1900 range and I didn’t care for the tips. Flowmaster is the only one using quad 4” tips which fills out the cutouts perfectly! The drone is minimal and the cold starts are pretty tame so it’ll be neighborhood friendly for anyone that’s curious. 

Heres a quick picture for now, I’ll get a video up tomorrow! 

97522AC6-69FE-451A-A75E-5B202484FA3B.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice, the tips look great. Post more pics. I have the Flow master flow FX with the 5.3 and to me it sounds very aggressive, even gurgles and crackles on deceleration, and cold starts sound like a muscle car. I thought the American thunder muffler was suppose to be the more aggressive of the two, I’m surprised to hear you think is tame sounding. 

On 1/15/2020 at 9:29 PM, Ryguy said:

Nice, the tips look great. Post more pics. I have the Flow master flow FX with the 5.3 and to me it sounds very aggressive, even gurgles and crackles on deceleration, and cold starts sound like a muscle car. I thought the American thunder muffler was suppose to be the more aggressive of the two, I’m surprised to hear you think is tame sounding. 

I swapped out the super 40 for a super 10 yesterday. I’m not impressed at all, you can hardly notice a difference. For it only being a 6” muffler you’d think it would be really aggressive but it’s far from it. I’m going to do a muffler delete next. 

AB5BD206-6C69-4728-9F4D-21FA10507287.jpeg

On 1/19/2020 at 11:28 PM, HoustonVol said:

Anyone know if these quad tips in black can be purchased separate ? Would love to add them to my setup. 

I looked everywhere for those tips. You might get lucky if you contact flowmaster but there’s a chance they won’t sell them without buying the full kit. I think Borla sells them but they’re only 3.5” dual outlets. 

On 1/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, 19AT4 said:

I swapped out the super 40 for a super 10 yesterday. I’m not impressed at all, you can hardly notice a difference. For it only being a 6” muffler you’d think it would be really aggressive but it’s far from it. I’m going to do a muffler delete next. 

For what it's worth, I installed the Flowfx catback on my 5.3 yesterday.  The pic shows the muffler construction, (Flowmaster #72288 muffler) and here's a crappy, quick interior video of it.  First part is just a tame acceleration, then about 30 seconds in is about a roll into about a 75% acceleration. Haven't had time to take any exterior videos.  (I take online video quality with a grain of salt though)

72288.jpg

18 minutes ago, Cohocarl said:

For what it's worth, I installed the Flowfx catback on my 5.3 yesterday.  The pic shows the muffler construction, (Flowmaster #72288 muffler) and here's a crappy, quick interior video of it.  First part is just a tame acceleration, then about 30 seconds in is about a roll into about a 75% acceleration. Haven't had time to take any exterior videos.  (I take online video quality with a grain of salt though)

Get it up to about 60 and let the DFM cut out some cylinders and lightly get on the gas. I'm curious how it sounds then. My GM Performance system "helicopters" like crazy and it's driving me nuts. Trying to find a different system but cannot decide.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:31 AM, mrcribbs said:

Get it up to about 60 and let the DFM cut out some cylinders and lightly get on the gas. I'm curious how it sounds then. My GM Performance system "helicopters" like crazy and it's driving me nuts. Trying to find a different system but cannot decide.

Been reading a lot about exhaust and I think this is the first comment I’ve seen where a poster has helicopter or drone complaints on the GM system, anyone else with the system having these issues?  It was high on my list because of the lack of negative comments.