In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

SOLVED - Possible Transfer Case GRIND

This truck is my first 4WD/4x4.  So a few weeks ago, I put my truck in 4HI, to drive in the snow, no issues.  Put it back into 2WD, when I got home, and haven't needed it since, until this afternoon.  When I put it in 4HI, it was grind/vibration central, but when I put it back in 4AUTO or 2WD, there is no issues. 

Edited by Ravenkeeper

16 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

This truck is my first 4WD/4x4.  So a few weeks ago, I put my truck in 4HI, to drive in the snow, no issues.  Put it back into 2WD, when I got home, and haven't needed it since, until this afternoon.  When I put it in 4HI, it was grind/vibration central, but when I put it back in 4AUTO or 2WD, there is no issues. 

I would cycle through all modes, including 4LO, and each time drive forward for a short distance, then in reverse, then forward again, then disengage each setting working back to 2WD.

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

I would cycle through all modes, including 4LO, and each time drive forward for a short distance, then in reverse, then forward again, then disengage each setting working back to 2WD.

I'll try that tomorrow.  Transfer Case has a separate servicing, right?

2 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Yes, transfer case, transmission, and rear end.

All 3 listed in your owners manual service section.

Opinions on the site will vary on mileage and what type of fluids to use on each.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

19 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Took it into town this morning, ran it through 2WD, AUTO, & 4HI, didn't touch 4LO since I was pressed for time.  Driving straight ahead, no issues.  Was going to run them through in reverse, when I got home, but I shifted into 4HI as I was coming up my street, turned to line up on my driveway, GRIND and seemed to "lockup" as I continued turning the wheels, so I stepped it back into 2WD, and finished backing into my driveway.  As stated before, I had no issues a few weeks ago in 4HI, not even when I made any turns.

1 minute ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Took it into town this morning, ran it through 2WD, AUTO, & 4HI, didn't touch 4LO since I was pressed for time.  Driving straight ahead, no issues.  Was going to run them through in reverse, when I got home, but I shifted into 4HI as I was coming up my street, turned to line up on my driveway, GRIND and seemed to "lockup" as I continued turning the wheels, so I stepped it back into 2WD, and finished backing into my driveway.  As stated before, I had no issues a few weeks ago in 4HI, not even when I made any turns.

Dry pavement today?

Not good for the 4WD drive system, since the front wheels are locked and trying to turn at the exact same speed while you are turning. 

Need to have a little speed built up, makes it a lot easier for the system to turn freely, slow turns, and it likes to bind up.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Dry pavement today?

Not good for the 4WD drive system, since the front wheels are locked and trying to turn at the exact same speed while you are turning. 

Need to have a little speed built up, makes it a lot easier for the system to turn freely, slow turns, and it likes to bind up.

Ok, explains why I didn't notice it in the snow a couple weeks ago, but I was on dirt when I experienced it Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Ok, explains why I didn't notice it in the snow a couple weeks ago, but I was on dirt when I experienced it Saturday.

You probably had enough grip in the dirt, especially if you were turning slow.

Not an expert, but when I use mine at our beach house, I always start out in 2WD, get rolling and then shift into 4HI at speed (slow, am on a long inclined dirt driveway) with the wheels straight before I make any turns.

• Like 1