Do you know that it was full at the start of the 9400 miles? 

I don't have much faith in the def gauges other than to get a guestimate.

What is you average fuel mpg over those miles?

DEF is used whenever a diesel is running. Use is proportional to fuel used. More fuel requires more def.

GM published that they expected the 6.6 to use about 1.5 to 2 gallons of def per 100 gallons of fuel (1.5 -2 % of fuel usage). 

If 3.0 ratio is the similar, then expected def can then be worked out from average fuel usage.  

9400 miles at 25 mpg 

9400/25 = 376 gallons of fuel

2% = 7.5 gallons of def.

Going by my DEF gauge (FWIW), I’ve used about 1.5gal (if each “bar” is worth 0.5 gal like I think I read in the diesel owner‘s manual insert). About 4200 miles on the odo, avg 25 MPG over those miles. If this helps: No towing yet, 60% hwy/40% city, very little idling. 

Haven’t added any DEF yet, but will soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

sounds really high to me.  I drive a semi getting 6mpg and only need about 4 to 5 gallons a week.   using that much I would think your dpf is close to being plugged up.  I'm just going off my experience with 13 and 15 liter Diesels though,  so take it for what its worth...

I tow a 5000 lb. snowmobile trailer to Michigan and back. The trip is roughly 1100 miles round trip and I use between 15 and 20 gallons. What could the problem be? Sometimes the 500 mile warning will come on when I still have a half tank of fuel left and I fill them up at the same time. If this is normal then I need a bigger def tank or a bigger bed to haul fluid in . lol I am not a happy camper by any means. Goes to the dealer again tomorrow. However they really have no insight into this issue! 

• 2 months later...

When I got mine (Feb. 27th), it had less than 10 miles and the def was about half full. I had to fill the def(2.5 gals) up at about 2300 miles and it's still showing the same amount of def since then and I'm a little over 2650 miles now. 70% highway/30% city driving usually running 5-10 over the speed limits and have not towed anything but did have the bed full of stuff a couple times.

• Like 1

Bought late January. I have 5700+ mi on mine. DEF tank full when I left the dealer.  First 4300 mi. DEF gauge showed 1/2 tank remaining. No towing practically all highway mi.  Thought I should have plenty to make a 1250 mi trip home from FL pulling my 20 ft Flats boat based on history.  After 200mi. DEF warning 1000 mi remaining still only 1 bar under 1/2 tank. 2 1/2 gallons of Blue DEF from WalMart put it back to 1 bar under full.  50 mi from home warning came on again.... 265 mi. remaining. This was shocking. Another 2 1/2 gallons of Blue DEF from WalMart put the gauge back to 1 bar under full. 

So..... not sure how much I'm burning. But I do expect the gauge to be more accurate. This does seem to be excessive to me. Maybe its not. Based on the gauge it seems certain I burned at least 2 1/2 gallons in 1000 mi. while pulling the boat. 

Overall fuel mi including the tow home 21.3. Towing the boat only ..15.1 for the 1250 mi. trip to NW Arkansas. Overall before towing 22.7.

Edited by LaRed
  • Like 1

I have 2400 miles and showing 180miles remaining...... Def is 15.28/ GALLON up here.......

That's .04/mile in DEF. Or based on my 24mpg avg and extra 0.96 per gallon of fuel used.....

Diesel is $2.70 +$0.96 in DEF.

This damn thing is $3.66/gallon to go 24 miles.
15.25¢ per mile....

The 6.2L is 12¢(19mpg combined) per mile WTH.

Dealer told me should only need filled when the oil is changed.....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, topgear1224 said:

I have 2400 miles and showing 180miles remaining...... Def is 15.28/ GALLON up here.......

That's .04/mile in DEF. Or based on my 24mpg avg and extra 0.96 per gallon of fuel used.....

Diesel is $2.70 +$0.96 in DEF.

This damn thing is $3.66/gallon to go 24 miles.
15.25¢ per mile....

The 6.2L is 12¢(19mpg combined) per mile WTH.

Dealer told me should only need filled when the oil is changed.....

You're either paying too much or messed  up your math.

DEF is around $15.00 per 2.5 gallons.

You're either paying too much or messed  up your math.

DEF is around $15.00 per 2.5 gallons.

Have to use ACDelco fluid from the dealership otherwise the dealer will not submit any DEF claims under warranty when everything fails because it gets to -40 degrees out here. Going form a 70 degrees humid garage (from ice melting) to -40 causes condensation in the DEF tank.

15.28/gallon here. 26.55/ 2.5 gallons.

Using the per gallon to cover labor.

If you have an issue without a service ticket your SOL.

2 L5P last winter went through $6k in out of pocket repairs each at 5k miles dealer claims it was because of the supertech fluid being contaminated with water. dealer called GM. GM asked if they use genuine fluid dealer said no and GM said they're not covering anything. apparently there is a bulletin out that states that any 2007 and newer Duramax must use AC Delco genuine fluid.

EDIT: BULLETIN DOES NOT OFFICIALLY EXIST.