Truck Bed Cover - Yes/No?

EdwardJ

I also have the Bak Revolver X4. Works good and sits flush. Neat concept as a hard roll up cover. Nice because it doesn’t block the whole back window when all the way up, and the panels don’t weigh 50 tons each like my MX4 did.

FC22FBCD-B1CA-4659-8B65-591A2F18F891.thumb.jpeg.cb444fbcb9ceaa34c8448988a937688f.jpeg

Whether or not you want or need a cover at all is up to you. I won’t own a truck without one because the bed would be useless and snow filled from November - March. Would I buy the Revolver again? I dunno. The finish and quality isn’t quite as good as they used to be.

I'm loving the photo with the Bak X4. I get a great quote by chatting with them on their site and looking to make the purchase soon.

For those that own Bak X4 - if you had option to buy Bakflip MX4 would you in exchange for X4?

I just installed the Gator roll-up.  If I need the bed, it rolls up all the way leaving me the entire bed.  With the tailgate locked, it secures what I need secured well-enough to where if anyone wanted to steal something they would have to cut through the cover.  And if someone is willing to do that, they will steal what you have regardless (my theory anyway).  It was cheap, simple enough to install, and does the job.

I went with the MX4 hard folding got a good deal on it at the time.  I was torn between the X4 revolver and the new sentry roll up.  Only thing i was concerned with was how it would roll up in cold temps during the winter months.

Okay so I saw the BAK X4 yesterday in person. I like how it rolls up but does it take up more space compared to MX4?

@Blong7328I am in agreement with you as well with the roll-up. I don't want to miss out on the deal but at the same time looking to make the right choice.

@outrag1 @OnTheReel would you consider Bakflip MX4 Cover now that you have had Bakflip X4 cover for while?

12 minutes ago, EdwardJ said:

Okay so I saw the BAK X4 yesterday in person. I like how it rolls up but does it take up more space compared to MX4?

@Blong7328I am in agreement with you as well with the roll-up. I don't want to miss out on the deal but at the same time looking to make the right choice.

@outrag1 @OnTheReel would you consider Bakflip MX4 Cover now that you have had Bakflip X4 cover for while?

Having had both, I’d probably stick to the X4. It plays well with the power tailgate and I haven’t had any problems with it sticking or not rolling up in winter. My only issue has been slight leaks in the corners, and some of the rubber seal along the side started to lift up because it wasn’t glued very well. Minor stuff, but kind of a quality concern at it’s price point. 

Either way, the X4 is much easier to roll it up than it was to flip up the MX4. Once you get to the second and third panel On the MX4 you pretty much have to jump in the bed and use both hands to flip it up because it’s very heavy and awkward. The X4 I can roll up one handed from the side, buckle it and and the job is done. When rolled up tightly, it doesn’t take much more space than the MX4 and you can still see out the back window.

Edited by OnTheReel

1 hour ago, EdwardJ said:

I've had good luck with the X4 (same one used on two trucks).  I got a good deal around $700 via the Internet a couple years back.  I would personally not be interested in the hard fold a cover.  I will say on the roll up I agree it's not perfectly water tight and the rubber seals need some playing with to get it right.  This was fine with me as I didn't expect it to be water tight.  

I have the undercover ultraflex.  Ordered on Amazon, free two day shipping and they were running $100 rebate when I got it.  No leakage into bed and it folds almost completely out of the way without resting on the cab to provide bed access. 

• Like 1

I would not own a truck without a way to lock up the bed. But my truck bed is a rolling shed during hunting season. I prefer a camper shell because I can put taller stuff in and still lock it. My wife did not like the camper shell because it blocked her view she said and had trouble backing up.

So this time I found a good deal on a hard cover. Undercover elite. Very light and comes off in 3-4 min if needed. But I don't like how anything taller than the bed will not fit and I can't drive with it loose/not locked down.

I heard about most folding ones not completely dry along with the roll up. I put stuff in that can't get wet at all. So the hard cover is best there so far.

As with anything, you can't have your cake and eat it too it seems. Pros and cons every where.

I like being able to stand on mine though. We go places like a drag strip to tailgate and sit to watch. Works perfect for that.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

On 1/30/2020 at 5:48 PM, Moend said:

I went with the gator soft roll up. Was under 300 dollars and it does the job by keeping things dry. I don't have to worry about stuff getting stolen where I live.

Second, ETX i believe 

Haven't had problems, Also you can buy 2-5 of these before purchasing most of the others that are listed.

Yes its just vinyl, and anyone can just rip it, but if you do not have anything important in there overnight then its the way to go.