6 speed failure

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

And it still made it to 115K?

Tough gearbox!

Imagine what a bit of TLC would have done.

Yup, probably double the life?  Flush em boys and keep the GDI's clean too!  Not a certainty but this will most likely not be you with attention to maintenance during your ownership.

200.00 bucks 50-60K ago on flush?  200.00 now turns into 1000.00's 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info! I’m getting a VERY slight “chirp” sound on converter in and out of lock up. Is this a sigh of impending failure? If so, is it time for a new/rebuild? (Of course it’s just now out of warranty)!!!

Awesome post! I also love to know what y'all techs see on a daily basis and some background info like you did on this one. I personally made sure to get my trans flushed at the dealer at the recommended mileage, like 97,500 or something like that. I plan on doing it again at 150k. 

One question though, what is TECHM? is that another term / acronym for the valve body or computer in the trans?  

13 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Yup, probably double the life?  Flush em boys and keep the GDI's clean too!  Not a certainty but this will most likely not be you with attention to maintenance during your ownership.

200.00 bucks 50-60K ago on flush?  200.00 now turns into 1000.00's 

Just say no to transmission flushes, even though some dealers push them.  Drain, change the filter, and refill is the only way to go.  Flushes, especially at extended mileages, may require a rebuild before long.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

[mention=224859]tlaw91[/mention] what state are you in? Definitely keep us up to date on all this stuff it's a big help to know what the dealers are doing with problems we encounter!

Georgia- lots of hills and high mileage out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Gary13 said:

Thanks for the info! I’m getting a VERY slight “chirp” sound on converter in and out of lock up. Is this a sigh of impending failure? If so, is it time for a new/rebuild? (Of course it’s just now out of warranty)!!!

Interestingly enough, I have a slow, rhythmic noise coming from my converter that I can hear when the truck is idling. It sounds like someone is snapping their thumb.  It can slightly be heard from inside the cabin, but its more noticeable outside the truck. I asked one of my local dealers to take a look at it, but they couldn't hear it. I even took a stethoscope to the bell housing to verify it was the converter and that is where the noise is coming from. The sad thing is that my truck doesn't even have 20,000 miles on it.

Interestingly enough, I have a slow, rhythmic noise coming from my converter that I can hear when the truck is idling. It sounds like someone is snapping their thumb.  It can slightly be heard from inside the cabin, but its more noticeable outside the truck. I asked one of my local dealers to take a look at it, but they couldn't hear it. I even took a stethoscope to the bell housing to verify it was the converter and that is where the noise is coming from. The sad thing is that my truck doesn't even have 20,000 miles on it.

Yep. I have too. Had it since new. There is some other talk about it on here as well. I guess it’s normal. I have 20k as well. No issues with trans.
  • Thanks 1

That sounds a lot like a vacuum pump. I mean you have perfectly described a vacuum pump noise.

You sure you aren’t hearing a vacuum pump?

-GM Tech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the pump grinding into the case happen with the 8L90 when it has the factory Mobil 1 fluid that is hydroscopic? 

My 8l90 shifts fine but I only have 10k miles on truck. My truck was built 12/2017 which means it has the older Mobil 1 fluid that is hydroscopic? 

I haven't received any notice to have the fluid exchanged to the newer type. That is a TSB, and you have to prove your trans is shuddering correct?