Short Review on the 2020 3.0L Diesel 1500 LT Crew After 2 Months

Well as many of you know Chevrolet had to buy back my 2019 LT 5.3L via the Illinois Lemon Law due to the chirping front axles GM TSB issue. (See Jingle Jingle thread in trouble shooting section) I of course was apprehensive to purchase another GM product after what GM put me through with that non repairable issue. How ever after looking at the Dodge and Ford offerings I felt like the Princess and the pea nothing felt quite as "right" to me as the Silverado. This is why I choose it in the first place and almost a year later it still held true for me. Once I decided to go round two with Chevrolet I decided on the 3.0L because I wanted something with better milage and I wanted the 10 speed. So here we are today two months later and I couldn't be more pleased with my decision to give them a second try and also go with this amazing Duramax engine. I have almost 3000 miles on the truck and amazingly its almost flawless. I will never buy a first model year GM vehicle again. Besides not having the axle issues everything that was wonky on the 2019 like infotainment screen issues, lighting issues suspension noises brake problems etc are all fixed on the 2020. This truck has been rock solid from the get go and hopefully it keeps going in that direction in the coming months. I truly recommend the Duramax its a very powerful smooth and quiet engine. The ten speed is night and day smooth comparing it to the 8 speed.  So if your on the fence with a Silverado or just deciding to get the Diesel option I say go for it, Its a safe bet for 2020. The diesel is a bit of a learning curve but once you understand the different maintenance procedures and the DEF routine its a piece of cake. In 3000 miles I have only used 1/4 tank of DEF is anyone is interested. I will update in a couple months again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing! Makes me feel better. I ordered a RST with the LM2 and I should be getting it in the next few days... I can't wait!

I'm from Illinois as well! I hope this warm weather keeps going so I can have one less salt season on it. I also want to be able to detail. I told the dealer to not touch it, just do what they have to which I believe is check fluids and remove plastic.

Thanks again

Don't know about OP but I believe that the 3.0 in my 2020 is probably slightly better than my 19 5.3, low end  power is amazing. Very pleased with mine so far at 2800 miles.

2 hours ago, Whipped500 said:

I forgot to ask...how is the acceleration compared to your 5.3?

Acceleration is equal to or better than the V8 and very quiet for a diesel.

23 minutes ago, ILSilverado said:

Well then the 3.0 is faster 0-60 than the 5.3. How about that.

Keep in mind they are at a higher elevation so the 5.3 struggles a bit. But the 3.0 definitely feels faster than my old 5.3

On 3/7/2020 at 9:00 AM, ILSilverado said:

Well as many of you know Chevrolet had to buy back my 2019 LT 5.3L via the Illinois Lemon Law due to the chirping front axles GM TSB issue. (See Jingle Jingle thread in trouble shooting section) I of course was apprehensive to purchase another GM product after what GM put me through with that non repairable issue. How ever after looking at the Dodge and Ford offerings I felt like the Princess and the pea nothing felt quite as "right" to me as the Silverado. This is why I choose it in the first place and almost a year later it still held true for me. Once I decided to go round two with Chevrolet I decided on the 3.0L because I wanted something with better milage and I wanted the 10 speed. So here we are today two months later and I couldn't be more pleased with my decision to give them a second try and also go with this amazing Duramax engine. I have almost 3000 miles on the truck and amazingly its almost flawless. I will never buy a first model year GM vehicle again. Besides not having the axle issues everything that was wonky on the 2019 like infotainment screen issues, lighting issues suspension noises brake problems etc are all fixed on the 2020. This truck has been rock solid from the get go and hopefully it keeps going in that direction in the coming months. I truly recommend the Duramax its a very powerful smooth and quiet engine. The ten speed is night and day smooth comparing it to the 8 speed.  So if your on the fence with a Silverado or just deciding to get the Diesel option I say go for it, Its a safe bet for 2020. The diesel is a bit of a learning curve but once you understand the different maintenance procedures and the DEF routine its a piece of cake. In 3000 miles I have only used 1/4 tank of DEF is anyone is interested. I will update in a couple months again. 

Did the smell during the regen go away for you? I saw in an earlier thread that you were having problems with it in the beginning? Also, was that with the window down or up (or both)?

I have 2,000 miles on mine and absolutely love it!  No problems whatsoever. Knock on wood. Averaging 27 mpg city and 33 mpg hwy. Still have 3/4 tank of def on original factory fill.

Same here. My mileage isn’t quite as good, 17-20 city and 20-24 hwy. I’m up in Canada and it’s been cold so fair bit of idling and shorter trips. It is a pleasure to drive tho! Zero complaints so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk