Coronavirus

KARNUT

While on my walk this morning I was listening to Friday’s first hour of Rush. He was talking about the uptick of (flu) cases in November in California and Seattle. It was looking like a bad flu year with high infections and deaths. The belief now is the new bug may have been around earlier than first believed. Explaining possibly why they are experiencing a lower infection rate presently. Herd immunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree they are not entirely accurate. Neither is the speedometer in my car, thermostat in my house or my $5 Timex watch but they are still useful in guiding me, making me comfortable and getting to the dance on time. Flawed, yes but useful and close enough to tell the tail....point me to a certifiable more accurate measure and I'm there.....gut checks not withstanding. [emoji4] 

I’m in the high risk arena. Age, blood pressure, over weight. I’ve been pretty mindful of hand washing etc. I had a bad flu event 10 years ago. Not being able to breathe isn’t fun. We pretty much understand the risk of life as a people. I’m pretty concerned about jumping the shark on this. We’re already a bubble wrap society. Our kids look like we’re going to throw them off a cliff, when they ride their bike. They’ll throw you in jail in certain areas if you’re kid rides a bike without a helmet. I don’t fear much. They’re scaring me. I can imagine how a couple generations forward must feel. The world going to look different. Not good I believe. I’ll make another prediction. They’ll going to start walking this back. People aren’t going to want to be involved with anything with crowds. Except grocery shopping. Remember this mostly effects people with underlying health issues. They will start putting that in the forefront again. This is still a bad flu year so far. Social distances not withstanding. The jury still out on that. The difference still is the coverage. Jury is still out. An open mind is required.

The Atomic Clock in Boulder Colorado.

IF YOU’VE EVER WONDERED WHAT clock sets the official time of the United States, look no further. The bearer of that important standard is the NIST-F1 Cesium Fountain Atomic Clock, located at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in BoulderColorado. Built in four years, and officially established in 2005, the F1 is the latest in a series of increasingly accurate clocks responsible for keeping time for the entire country. The clock will neither gain nor lose a second in the next 80 million years.

:)

• Like 4

On a positive note. We found some of my daughters old clippers. She’s a barber. My hair was driving me crazy tickling my ears. We took the plunge. My wife did the back, I trimmed the sides. She wouldn’t let me do hers. No, no photos.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’m in the high risk arena. Age, blood pressure, over weight. I’ve been pretty mindful of hand washing etc. I had a bad flu event 10 years ago. Not being able to breathe isn’t fun. We pretty much understand the risk of life as a people. I’m pretty concerned about jumping the shark on this. We’re already a bubble wrap society. Our kids look like we’re going to throw them off a cliff, when they ride their bike. They’ll throw you in jail in certain areas if you’re kid rides a bike without a helmet. I don’t fear much. They’re scaring me. I can imagine how a couple generations forward must feel. The world going to look different. Not good I believe. I’ll make another prediction. They’ll going to start walking this back. People aren’t going to want to be involved with anything with crowds. Except grocery shopping. Remember this mostly effects people with underlying health issues. They will start putting that in the forefront again. This is still a bad flu year so far. Social distances not withstanding. The jury still out on that. The difference still is the coverage. Jury is still out. An open mind is required.

8 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

On a positive note. We found some of my daughters old clippers. She’s a barber. My hair was driving me crazy tickling my ears. We took the plunge. My wife did the back, I trimmed the sides. She wouldn’t let me do hers. No, no photos.

I'm old. Smoked for over 30 years, 35 maybe. Quit 6 years ago. I'm 30 pounds overweight. It won't be kind to me if it get a bite of this apple. I like to be informed in the same way I like to know where the sick dogs are...but I don't dwell on it morbidly. I had one of those matches with the flu about three years ago where I ran a 104 fever for over 5 days. Living in the shower and eating Tylenol like candy. I hadn't been that sick since I was a child. Felt like I was at the bottom of a lake breathing. Then....nothing since then but allergies. 

I treat is all like it's plague...washing, gloves, mask. Sterile field when I bring home grocery. Caution but calm....

On that bike helmet thing :) If I would have worn a helmet riding a bike I would have needed it to protect my noggin from my friends throwing rocks at me....sissy. I don't wear a helmet on the toilet either.....  :crackup:Just in case anyone was wondering. 

• Like 2

My wife is going on a store run. First one in a while. Eggs, bread, milk and some other goodies. Amazing how this has changed. We have priorities depending on crowd size. Even an abort scenario. Gloves check, scarf check, hand sanitizer check. We even have a leave area for food to sit past the bug date. We buy things that can stand a bleach rub down. I sh$t you not. Even a strip down area for clothes to go into the wash. This is what our government and news cycle has left us with. Back to normal? I hope in my lifetime. At least I know how my wife felt when I went to work on pipelines. I think I’d rather not known. Living in fear sucks.

• Like 1

We have seniors lodge up here in Calgary that has lost 17 folks. Another out in BC with similar numbers. Glad I am not old enough to be in one of these places yet. Sound like death traps. 

We have seniors lodge up here in Calgary that has lost 17 folks. Another out in BC with similar numbers. Glad I am not old enough to be in one of these places yet. Sound like death traps. 

The wife and I were looking into senior living communities. We like the idea of like minds and someone watching over our place when we travel. For the money just to live there after house purchase. I get get my lawn done, house cleaned and pay a house,dog sitter when I go on trips. And go out on my deck and look at the woods, not my neighbors house.

A thought came to mind. We’re forcing the young to stay home. Risking their jobs, savings, futures, wellbeing. Possibly saving people who don’t need to leave their homes. Most of the people affected were affected before we knew there was a problem. We get it. You have a medical reason not to work, they’re should be a family leave for that. You already know what those are. The rest should work with precaution. It would be less costly for all concerned. There’s supposed to be a new government get to work committee for that. Let’s hope it’s reasonable.

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

A thought came to mind. We’re forcing the young to stay home. Risking their jobs, savings, futures, wellbeing. Possibly saving people who don’t need to leave their homes. Most of the people affected were affected before we knew there was a problem. We get it. You have a medical reason not to work, they’re should be a family leave for that. You already know what those are. The rest should work with precaution. It would be less costly for all concerned. There’s supposed to be a new government get to work committee for that. Let’s hope it’s reasonable.

I'm glad I have the ability to work from home with minimal impact. 

• Like 2

Wife came back from the store. They have half the carts. Spray down after each use. And social distances in forced to the max. They don’t allow excessive buying of anything. This was Aldi.

6 hours ago, diyer2 said:

The clock will neither gain nor lose a second in the next 80 million years.

:)

Sure it will.  It is technology which means it is not perfect and subject to failure. 

That's the stupid thing at Costco that I've noticed.  All the carts are now outside, so you need to get the cart before going inside, then in the entrance, a person stops you and wipes off the handlebar.  Stupid, as whatever was on the handlebar is already on your hands/gloves, and will go right back on the handlebar when you touch it 1 second later.

• Like 1