Lowering a 4wd 3/6 Inches

So I'm looking at lowering my LT Z71, at least 3 inches. So far the only complete kit I've found is the Belltech Performance Handling kit. Any insight on this kit? I hear it may cause problems lowering a 4wd this much. Things like pushing the knuckle too far back in the wheel well, causing alignment/fitment issues. Has anyone found an alternative to this kit? I'm not against Belltech, I just like to have more than one option when I'm making a large purchase. My truck currently has a 2 1/2 inch leveling kit and 315/45R20's. I don't tow anything larger than a small tent trailer or have anything bigger than dirt bikes in the back. I never see anything harsher than a gravel road, however I am from somewhat northern Canada which is why I went with the Z71. 

https://www.belltech.com/products/belltech/lowering/complete-lowering-kits/belltech-performance-handling-kit-14-18-1-2-ton-silverado-sierra-all-cabs-short-bed-987hk.html

Truck.jpg

The front is only being lowering by the lowering strut or lowering coil over setup, the knuckle itself is not changing place. You just have to make sure that there clearance between the bottom of the strut and the CV axle if you went down the full 3 inches in the front. I would assume there is plenty of room. I have the front of my truck lowered 1.5 inches along with the rear is lowered 3in and I have plenty of room on the CV axles still.

I didn't want a flip kit so I only went with 3in in the back. You'll need smaller tires with a 3in front drop as they are likely to rub a lot.

[emoji3166] why in God's green earth would you purchase a 4x4 Z71 pickup truck to lower it?

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Well, here's one case where a lowered 4x4 makes sense2c93f9f3aa0e624c72b9c149993d8bb5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here's my truck, it's a 4x4 z71 lowered 4/6 and I'm running 305/45/22 tires on 22x10 wheels.

I do rub the fender liner when turning sharp, but it's nothing crazy and it doesn't bother me.

I used the mcgaughys 2/4 lowering kit (spindles up front and flip kit in the rear) I simply set the flip kit to 6", and added a 2" lowering spring. When I compare the before and after measurements, it came out right at 4/6 drop. 661a7244c49658d7a72865b21fa9eb0d.jpg

Ok, still, why? What am I looking at?

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

That's the engine bay on my truck, with a twin turbo setup. It's my all wheel drive hot rod. Having 4 wheel drive really helps with traction when I feel like getting rowdy.

But for folks that aren't looking for a big power toy, some guys just like the looks of a lowered truck, and even if the truck never leaves the pavement, 4 wheel drive still has obvious advantages, especially in ice or snow.

• 2 years later...
On 4/21/2020 at 9:15 PM, lovelessjl said:

Here's my truck, it's a 4x4 z71 lowered 4/6 and I'm running 305/45/22 tires on 22x10 wheels.

I do rub the fender liner when turning sharp, but it's nothing crazy and it doesn't bother me.

I used the mcgaughys 2/4 lowering kit (spindles up front and flip kit in the rear) I simply set the flip kit to 6", and added a 2" lowering spring. When I compare the before and after measurements, it came out right at 4/6 drop. 661a7244c49658d7a72865b21fa9eb0d.jpg

Hi lovelessjl

Nice truck.

Would you do the 305/45 again or go a bit smaller.

Does it only rub on the back edges of the inner on sharp turn?  What about bumps is there enough.

What about half shaft angles and vibrations.

I have 2016 4WD that I am currently going through the stages and of course the manufacturers say 2/4 is all you can go.  Just bought the truck and it has to go low.

Thanks
Eldon

BLUE3.jpg

BLU16.jpg