Does anyone regret getting/not getting the Z71 package?

I'm looking at a truck that I like pretty well, but it doesn't have the Z71 package. Other than driving a few hundred miles on a dirt road every year, I'll not likely take it off road much if at all. I could step up to a similar truck with the Z71 but it ends up being about $3500 more because of inventory problems. I'll admit that the biggest draw to the package for me is the under body protection (for the rocks on the dirt road). Hill descent control might have some value once a year or so also. Is it worth it to jump up to the next tier for my needs?

Depends on the engine choice. If you’re buying a 5.3 truck, Z71 also adds 2 speed transfer case (4 low) and dual exhaust. Some might find that attractive or a deal breaker.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Depends on the engine choice. If you’re buying a 5.3 truck, Z71 also adds 2 speed transfer case (4 low) and dual exhaust. Some might find that attractive or a deal breaker.

I'm looking at the 3.0L Duramax 4x4 (for ~$42k) or the 5.3L Z71 (for ~$41k). All other options are the same. Need to tow ~8000 lbs a year so it's a wash either way on that. I take it hunting too, which requires about 2-300 miles of dirt road (not too many rocks or potholes) per year, though the added protection can't hurt. Maybe there's an aftermarket solution? The diesel seems more attractive for the 10 speed, low end towing torque, and mileage but It's not a must have. Duel exhaust doesn't matter to me. Hill descent control would be nice probably once every year or 2 during snowy hill driving but I can do without if needed. 4-Lo would only be used on a boat ramp (if ever) but it's not a huge selling point for me. I'm just looking for a little input on if people use the Z71 package much. I liked the ride of the regular 4x4 on the diesel. Does the Z71 make the ride worse with those Ranchos?

I wound up buying an NHT (Max Trailering Package) truck because I liked the ride and the gearing. The 19 Z71 I had as a courtesy vehicle rode absolutely horrible, and was the worst of the 3 “normal” suspension packages by far.

They revised suspension tuning for 2020, but most people will agree the Ranchos are still pretty crummy, and it’s the harshest/ bounciest suspension package. If I had to chose between the two you’re looking at, the diesel is definitely more attractive to me with the base suspension and superior transmission. 10 speed is the best I’ve ever had in any vehicle by far.

That said, the diesel engine is still somewhat unproven, and I am not aware of any aftermarket underbody protection.

• Like 1

i had a ram 2015 eco. think twice about an oil burner... DEF is a pain... and diesel is more money and harder to find when you are empty. had a couple of VW oil burners too. when gas is four bucks you can probably break even... the gm gas v8 is hard to beat on long term economics of fueling, maintaining and repairs...

i have the z71 now... rough riding.. and not engaged low range once yet..

Edited by PPK

Unless the 2-speed transfer case and hill descent is really important to you (which doesn’t sound like it), I wouldn’t worry about Z71 package. Look at aftermarket skid/protection plates and you can get higher quality. 

I love the 3.0L engine and am so happy I got it. I got the Z71 package because that’s what I had a decade ago and to match our Z71 Tahoe, and because I wanted 4x4 and it’s got the Z71 decal I like and am used to... 

I really am not impressed with the Rancho shocks and will be replacing them. I have <3,000 miles on them and would already have switched to Bilsteins if I wasn’t working towards doing a full coil over swap. 

Edited by Duramax3oh

Damn, yeah the non Z71 rode really nice when I test drove it. I figured the Z71 would be just is good but A LOT of people online complain about them. Maybe I should take their advice and add the skid plates and different shocks myself. I’m not against doing my own stuff a year or two down the line. Ok, well I think you all have answered my question for me. Thanks for the input!

All depends upon your individual driving needs.

Had the Z package in my '13 Avalanche and '16 Silverado. Most of my driving is concrete and asphalt with an occasional country back road in crush&run, or dirt, even grass when road disappears. Personal preference this a time was a smoother, quieter ride with better cornering and handling. Never had need for the two speed transfer case and never took a hit on the plastic skid plate and tired of the Z package's knobby, noisy 17"s and 18"s that perform poorly in turns on slick roads - so went for less aggressive treads on low profile 22's in an RST with a single speed transfer case which comes stock with an Off Road button in place of 4Lo that electronically simulates the 4Lo speed gearing, but with less torque. And as far as a dual exhaust - the Z doesn't have one, at least not a real one like my Camaros with two mufflers and engine pipe each fed by a separate engine manifold; it has two finishers with a "Y" pipe fed by a single exhaust pipe system -  looks pretty but doesn't do a damn for lowering backflow or increasing performance - exact engine H.P. specs -and didn't want to take a chance with exhaust crap messing up the finish on the painted rear bumper.

If a time calls for crawling through mud, or bashing through undeveloped areas of heavy brush with hidden rocks - I'll rent a Jeep and kick the crap out of it and keep the scratches off and the shine on the Silverado's Jello hard clear coat finish.

IMO

You don't need the Z 71 option.

I use my 4 low every winter so I have Z 71.

Also drive dirt roads regularly.

Edit-----

I also have a boat. Spring and fall icy boat ramps the 4 low comes in handy.

:)

Edited by diyer2

I’ve worked on and been around pipeline ROWs all my working life. Other than the ease of auto 4WD, the type of 4WD made little difference. I may have used Lo range 5 times total. If I was a boater and had a heavy boat. I probably always want the lo range option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To preface this comment, I have the Z71 package on a 2020 5.3 Silverado. 

Shocks - Despite what others have said, the Ranchos have been very smooth and have done great on the light off-roading I have done.  Though the Ranchos do not compare to an aftermarket shock, they are performing admirably as a STOCK factory shock.  I have eibachs that I am getting ready to install (round 2), but I have no real complaints on the stock suspension other than the softness which is designed into all factory 4x4 suspensions.

4-Low - Mine is mostly a concrete queen, but I have off-roaded it a few times in the past 3 months of ownership.  I've only been stuck in the mud once in which case 4-Low did nothing and I actually got out using 4-Hi, but the 4-Low came in handy when pulling a buddy out of a mud hole while I was on dry ground.  Little effort and smoothe application of torque kept the tires from blowing away and maximized available grip.

Skid Plates - Not sure if they will ever get abused on the bottom side of my truck since my local area is primarily mud and sand, but I'm glad they are there and I'm glad they came on the truck.

AT Tires - I have the Bridgestone Duelers on 20" factory wheels.  They are very quiet on the roadway and I don't hear them at all.  Maybe that changes when they have 30k miles on them?  I rotate tires regularly and will be giving them their first rotation in the next 2 months.  As quite and smoothe as these tires are, I might be replacing them with another set of the same when it comes time too.

Locker - Nobody is discussing this and maybe there is a reason, but the G80 locker is a big selling point to me.  I have seen 2WD's with lockers go places that open diff 4WD's couldnt.  The G80 locker is a solid addition to a truck and I will never own a truck again without an auto/elec. locker.

Those things aside, I have had 4WD's in the past but this is my first 4WD truck.  I too considered purchasing the 4X4 model instead of the Z71 thinking that I would probably never use the options available, or tried convincing myself that I could just add those components later if I wanted, or work around the need for them.  After debating for a period of time, I realized that for the additional cost of the Z71 package when compared to the cost of the truck, the additional cost is negligible and worth not having to worry about adding anything else in the future or worrying about whether or not I have the available options to get through a muddy or friction delinquent surface safely and without damage to the truck.

If your considering it, I would go ahead and get the Z71.  There is a lot of value in simply having "Peace of Mind", and you will enjoy your truck that much more knowing you have those options/tools available to you if you ever need them.  My F250 is 2WD and I like the truck a lot, but I regret not having 4WD on it since the day I purchased it and talked myself out of the need for 4wd.  Does it need it, not necessarily, but I still regret not having it. I would image the same holds true for the Z71 package if it was me.  I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  Peace of mind goes a log way.

Bottom Line:  If you don't get the options you think you might need or want, you will regret it the first time you find yourself in a situation where you could have used the options that you opted out of.  The overall vehicle price difference is negligible so purchase the option your heart or gut is telling you to go with or you will regret it later.

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1

Locking rear diff is standard on higher trims, and comes in a lot of other packages on the lower ones (all star, max trailering, etc.)...so the vast majority of trucks you find “in the wild” have G80, with or without Z71. I agree it’s an important feature though.

AT tires can also be ordered separate without Z71.

• Like 1

In addition to all the great helpful info provided I would also take into account your future resale/trade value.  While you should get the truck you want, that you need and can afford if there are trim levels/options (especially in your area) that help drive resale/trade value make sure that you take that into consideration.

For example my father in law has a 2014 silverado with the 4.3.  The resale or trade value will take a hit when we have to sell it someday.  The dealership couldn't sell it and told him that it would be enough power for him....He could have had a 5.3 for not much more money (if not the same).....