Top Tier Gas or cheap gas? Arco? chevron? Costco? Shell?

I wanted to see what everyone puts in their trucks my truck for example I was running super low so I ran to Arco for 10$ of gas just to get to my Chevron I usually go to and I felt like the arco gas wasn’t as efficient... have any of you noticed this between stations? I now stick to shell and chevron and very occasionally Costco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Sunnyd360

I use 93 octane almost exclusively. There’s a Mobil station directly across the street from Walmart and they match their prices so pretty reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From someone that works in oil and gas industry, check and see what refineries are close... your shell and chevron may be the same fuel. A lot of refineries sell to other retailers are thier refinery may be to far to truck and purchase base fuel and add their own additives.

I usually go to Shell as their fuel is usually the best and I like their points system.

Chevron is what I use in my jeep as they have 94 octane on it's own pump so theres no cross contamination from 87, but the closest refinery is 1000miles 1600km away so I'm almost certain its Petro can / sunaco fuel or Shell, also chevron and shell say no ethanol on their top tier fuels.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't even care where I fill up, I've never once looked at the pump to see what it says for top tier or blah blah blah.

Around here it's BP, Holiday, Speedways, Shell or Kwik Trips. I will fill up at any of them without a care.

Hell I even fill up by the family cabin at the only station open in town on the weekends, they have 4 pumps total. They are getting the same gas that the two larger cities 15 miles away are getting so it doesn't matter to me.

• Haha 1

I don't notice any difference in power, performance, or mpg no matter which fuel I use, and for that matter never have with any of my vehicles so I say go for the least expensive.  BTW, I typically keep vehicals for around 15 years and approximately 200K miles and have never had a fuel related problem with any of them

Holiday because I got card when I bought my truck to get 10cents off and 5 dollars car wash (touchless usually cost $11) and put 87. I wish my truck can take flex fuel because it is cheaper and my old truck felt peppier using e85

The benefit you get from using any particular 'branded' fuel is generally psychological. Here in Southern ON, there are tons of brands, but only a small handful of refineries. Gas stations take fuel from wherever they can get it. I know a guy who runs a business hauling fuel & they go wherever availability is best when keeping stations supplied. There are a lot of factors at play, including maintenance shutdowns, time of year, what type of crude is being refined & other factors that can determine availability. 
Gas at Shell is the same as Costco, is the same as Esso, is the same as Petro Can, is the same as Mobil, is the same as MacEwen, is the same as some hole in the wall brand.
It's the same in the US, as the refining is done by a small amount of companies, but they supply lots of different branded stations. 

I shop by price, or convenience, use 87 & always have. No issues.

Edited by Nanotech Environmental

No name brand non-ethanol 87 gets the best mileage for me and that is all my older vehicles get, well two of them require premium, but still, non-ethanol for them too. The newer vehicles it doesn't matter, any 87 will do. I dump some Techtron in now and then and have never had a fuel related problem. When I am away from home and traveling, I stick to the places that sell the top tier stuff, or hit a Pilot, Flying J, etc.

Edited by mike5511