Tire recommendations

I’m finally to the point where I need new tires for my 2018 Sierra. This is my first time buying truck tires (only SUVs up til this point) and I was looking for recommendations. I’ve been pretty happy with the Goodyear Wrangler SR-As that came on it, but I know there’s better options out there, maybe something a little quieter. Most of my driving is highway, with occasional off-roading at job sites, and driving on the beach 3 or 4 times a year. Also, I’d like something decent in snow, as my part time job I’m required to work no matter the conditions. So, what are my best options?

14 minutes ago, jered6323 said:

I’m finally to the point where I need new tires for my 2018 Sierra. This is my first time buying truck tires (only SUVs up til this point) and I was looking for recommendations. I’ve been pretty happy with the Goodyear Wrangler SR-As that came on it, but I know there’s better options out there, maybe something a little quieter. Most of my driving is highway, with occasional off-roading at job sites, and driving on the beach 3 or 4 times a year. Also, I’d like something decent in snow, as my part time job I’m required to work no matter the conditions. So, what are my best options?

Falken Wildpeak AT3W 

I couldn't be happier with my BFG TA KO2s, but they are expensive and always sound like your driving on a wet street (to me anyway) But traction is excellent.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I assume that you have stock 20" wheels. If so, Michelin - X LT A/S from Costco (Sam's club may carry them as well) have been great tires. I switched the goodyears off at around 35000 miles and replaced with these Michelins. I'm up to 77000 miles and still a good bit of tread left. They are quieter and better traction too.

Consider the BFG rugged terrain. More highway manners but not bad for light off-road and did decently for me my 94 GMC 2wd work truck I used to have. I confounded many discount tire folks because I got over 65k out of those tires before they could make a valid argument for new tires.

Light snow and ice weren’t issues either as long as I had enough weight in that 8’ bed.

I had also run a set on a Subaru Outback as well. Never had any issues with traction.

When my ‘18 needs replacements for the stock GoodForAYear tires I am thinking the BFG’s or I may go with the Continental Cross Contact LX 20’s. I have had good experience with their extreme contact tires in the past on all wheel drive cars.

Add me to the Costco Michelin Defender fan club.  These are an improved version of the LTX MS and the LTX MS2.  These tires will meet your needs and the "P" rated version will exceed the load limits of your truck.  The LT will simply add unnecessary unsprung weight and hurt your mpg's.  I've used this brand in all four seasons for the past twenty years. 

FWIW... I’m at 50k on Goodyear Wranglers and only half way to the wear bars. Stock size for 18” wheel. We take the truck every other month from NY to FL and if my 1 year old can sleep for 10 hours solid in the truck and I can drive for 20 hours straight after being awake all day, I’d say the ride and sound are very acceptable. I usually prefer other brand tires, but have had no reason to gripe. 

Look into new take offs from an AT4 GoodYear Wrangler Trail Runner AT in 33" size (275/60/20)

Most of the AT4 guys will upgrade to a more aggressive tire so you can find great deals on local forsale sites.

I got a set with 600 miles on them for $400. Great looking tire as well, i havent put them on yet, not till this late fall.

• Like 1

I have the Toyo AT2 Extreme and i love them. Going to be upgrading to At3 next month.

FYI, I have 60,000 miles on mine and still have 9/32"

extremely happy with my good year wrangler fortitude 

great on highway and in snow. 

no need for you to go for an AT tire unless you just want the look like most.FB_IMG_1578678100554.thumb.jpg.a73a302ee331ecc2d0617afdead6b86e.jpg

FB_IMG_1565553655636.thumb.jpg.fb79fe3d5eab1df41486e7e6169f3c15.jpg

I put Sumitomo Encounter HT's on my Sierra, very happy with them. I drive 95% + on the road. At the time I purchased them, they were the #2 rated highway tire on Tire Rack behind Michelin Defender LTX. However,  I found the Sumitomo's on WalMart.com for $95/each...SOLD! I am very happy with them. I deal with very little snow, so can't answer that.

On 6/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, jered6323 said:

Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II

This tire gets little respect as an OEM fitment from the "thumbs up" crowd. More often than not in the bottom quartile of nearly every consumer review I've ever read.  Nearly every hate I've ever heard laid on this tire has proven to ring false in my now 118,000 mile association with it and I'm far from done with them standing 5/32" right now and wearing evenly. 

Living in a heavy population of deer I have had several opportunities to test both braking and handling and have been nothing but happy with the result. Good in the rain. No 'BOOM" on the tar snakes or expansion joints. Personally I have zero experience with snow and this tire BUT reading reviews of some long milers on Tire Rack they read well for the sane driver in that department. Solidly so if you have four wheel drive. In the 255R70/17 size mine is fitted with 36 lbs. In the middle of the pack. 

Will I buy a second set. I don't think so. As long as everyone was hating on it they were CHEAP but now that they are gaining some traction the price has risen with its popularity to a point that has you looking for sales or alternates. But who knows what will happen between now and then.  

I have two others in my sites that I have experience with I like the public has not yet taken notice of:

General Grabber HTS

Eldorado HTX Sport.