Are E-rated 34s worth it over 33s?

Hey guys, I know there are about a million different topics about tires but I haven't found an exact answer after days of research.

I just picked up a 16 Sierra 1500 Z71 5.3L (Pictured below). This is my daily driver and MPGs are semi important, but I also didn't buy a truck because of its great fuel economy. I come from an old Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi.

I am planning on adding a 2-inch leveling kit, mainly for looks, and to have more clearance in the front. From what I've researched, by two best tire options with the stock wheels are 275/60r20 and 275/65r20. 33s and 34s respectively. Most people report no rubbing with either setup.

Honestly I just love the look of the 34s way more and they are not that much more price-wise, but they are all E-rated LT and all weight about 15-20lbs more than their 33 counterpart. The most towing I see myself doing is a 6x12 Uhaul and a small 18ft. boat, but I do take my trucks offroading/overlanding and in the snow quite a bit. I also do a lot of highway driving.

In reality, I would only gain 0.5" of extra clearance with the 34s, and I am concerned about how much the extra weight will affect my truck's performance, especially with the 5.3. Is there any reason why I should pick the E-rated LT 34s over the lightweight 33s, other than the fact that they look awesome? Could a tuner make up some of the MPG loss? Some report a better ride from E-rated tires, and treads are deeper as well. 

Thanks!!

1.thumb.jpg.c2b5866c07abcb7188942f3676f14ce2.jpg 

I have BFG E rated 33” tires on my 2018 Sierra for winter. 285/70/17 Yes mpg went down maybe 1 - 2mpg on highway. Gas is cheap and I’d rather have a tougher tire for nearly the same money as the lower load range.

I’m running 265/65/18 Goodyear fortitude ht on AT4 wheels for summer. Mpg is up +2 over the BFG. Big part is that these are smaller diameter 31.5 vs the BFG 32.8”. I did account for the speedo off when calculating mpg with the larger tires.

Go with the ones you like instead of settling [emoji106]

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2018GMC said:

I have BFG E rated 33” tires on my 2018 Sierra for winter. 285/70/17 Yes mpg went down maybe 1 - 2mpg on highway. Gas is cheap and I’d rather have a tougher tire for nearly the same money as the lower load range.

I’m running 265/65/18 Goodyear fortitude ht on AT4 wheels for summer. Mpg is up +2 over the BFG. Big part is that these are smaller diameter 31.5 vs the BFG 32.8”. I did account for the speedo off when calculating mpg with the larger tires.

Go with the ones you like instead of settling emoji106.png

Thanks! That's encouraging. Going with the lightweight 33s does feel like settling, and having a tougher tire for similar price seems like it worth it. And I can live with a slight mpg loss. Nice looking truck!

Thanks! That's encouraging. Going with the lightweight 33s does feel like settling, and having a tougher tire for similar price seems like it worth it. And I can live with a slight mpg loss. Nice looking truck!

Thanks!

Post some pics before and after!
  • Like 1