Magnaglow or Flowmaster? New 1500 Sierra Z71

Hey guys n gals...new to the site. This is my second GM truck but doing a VASTLY different build on her. My first truck is an 05 Colorado Xtreme drift truck, while this one is a 2018 Sierra 1500 Z71 Prerunner build that's my daily (it's the 5.3, not the 6.2)

My question is...which exhaust is better for pure, clean loud while maintaining a low, angry tone when I get on it? I know Magnaflow is a straight through so no "restriction" while Flowmaster is baffled for tuned tone. I loathe exhaust "pop n bang" like glasspacks and whatnot...so im trying to avoid sounding like every cheap, clapped out beater truck in my area. I am specifically looking for as low and angry as I can get, but clean and clear. I notice a LOT of trucks here go for the "NASCAR" sounding kits and that's a bit too high pitch for me. 

I can cut and dump, so I can play with how "loud" it is, but which is best for deep, low, growly sound at all times?

Edited by Damon Hoover

I'm a Magnaflow type sound person. I do not like the chambered style mufflers of most Flowmasters.

Most systems are going to stay pretty tame at low rpm because you will still have the 3 cat converters before the muffler acting as resonators. Removing those will give you terrible rasp and that's not what you want either.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Damon Hoover said:

Hey guys n gals...new to the site. This is my second GM truck but doing a VASTLY different build on her. My first truck is an 05 Colorado Xtreme drift truck, while this one is a 2018 Sierra 1500 Z71 Prerunner build that's my daily (it's the 5.3, not the 6.2)

My question is...which exhaust is better for pure, clean loud while maintaining a low, angry tone when I get on it? I know Magnaflow is a straight through so no "restriction" while Flowmaster is baffled for tuned tone. I loathe exhaust "pop n bang" like glasspacks and whatnot...so im trying to avoid sounding like every cheap, clapped out beater truck in my area. I am specifically looking for as low and angry as I can get, but clean and clear. I notice a LOT of trucks here go for the "NASCAR" sounding kits and that's a bit too high pitch for me. 

I can cut and dump, so I can play with how "loud" it is, but which is best for deep, low, growly sound at all times?

Magnaflow has a nasty drone issue. Corsa is an awesome exhaust but expensive. I went with the Borla ATAK system. No drone and loud when you get on it.

There many different mufflers made through magnaflow, not all will have bad sounds.

Never had any drone problems with the magnaflow I used 5 years ago. They don't sell it anymore but it was a oval body about 22-24in long.

I just switched to a Carven Type R muffler. I was a Flowmaster man all day until I heard the Carven mufflers. You can buy just the muffler or buy a full cat back from them. I love the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBRP. Very deep, rich, throaty sound. Cold start is super loud. Sounds good at idle and very loud from 2000-6000 RPM
MBRP uses low grade stainless steel. They rust out easily. If you live somewhere where they use a lot of salt on the roads I'd stay away from MBRP.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 GMC and am running a FlowFX by Flowmaster with a single in/dual out and it leads to large echo tips.  It's VERY deep, NOT crackly at all... and SMOOOOOOOOTH.

I like it.  

I once had a FM 50 series on a 350 Vortec, and they sound similar, with the FX sounding a bit deeper.