Would you buy the gasser or diesel?

Modern diesels are going through the emissions hell right now that the gassers went through in the 80's and now overcame, so I would say go with a tried and true gasser.  Diesels are having all kinds of issues trying to meet new diesel emission standards that costs thousands and you have no way of knowing how long a modern diesel will run healthy (lift pumps, DEF systems, etc).   I'd wait another 5-10 years before looking at a diesel unless you absolutely need one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunn said:

i bought gas for those exact reasons.....i dont need a diesel just need payload, so why pay extra and have more maintenance.....it just didnt make sense

your not towing that much weight just barely over a 1500....any 2500 should tow that weight no problem

Yeah, also I am taking another trip in a couple weeks and I plan on running over a local out of service weigh station. If I am only 100-200 over payload and under the 15,000lbs GCVWR, which I sould be, I may just hold off anyways. The kids are only going to be going with us for 3-4 more years anyway. So if I am close it may be a mute point..

As stated above, the new diesels are hamstrung with the new emission BS, all of them, not just GM. If you like your 1500 with the 6.2, you're just a few mods away from it hauling that trailer a little better. But you're never going to get that planted, rock solid feel the heavier truck will provide while towing.

• Thanks 1

Until GM offers a 10spd for the 6.6 gas, I will never consider one for my personal vehicle.  I have two 2020 gasser work trucks for my business but my personal truck is a 2020 HC Duramax.,  The 6.6 gas is cheaper than the Duramax and gets the job done just fine but IMO they are not even close to being as pleasurable to drive as the Duramax.  Long drives towing with the gas, lots of shifting and high revs whereas the Duramax quietly hums along with power to spare.  Even if i didn't tow much I would prefer the diesel.   The additional maintenance costs are well worth it!  The 10spd in the Duramax is awesome, so don't forget about that benefit as well.

As far as the reliability, I have not had one issue with emissions on Duramax trucks and I've used them for plowing, short daily drives and everything in between.  Don't let the comments about reliability and all the emissions issues scare you away, they are very few and far between.  The Duramax/Allison also has a 100,000 mile power train warranty, gasser only 60k.

All that said, I would be very interested to drive the 6.6 gas with a 10spd transmission, I just can't understand why they wouldn't offer it. The GM HD gas motors are incredibly reliable, we have had some transmissions go on our gas work trucks but not one issue with the previous 6.0's and I'm assuming the 6.6's will be just as reliable.  Drive them both and decide for yourself..

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat, my trailer is a touch lighter though...  I would love the diesel but I can justify the extra $10k on top what I am already looking at to upgrade from a half ton.  Diesel on average is more expensive in the NE so that also plays a factor.

No 10 speed with the gasser because they want you to buy -  spend the money to buy a diesel. 

The diesel power over gas as I said and CRApex mentioned.

:)

6 hours ago, CRApex said:

Until GM offers a 10spd for the 6.6 gas, I will never consider one for my personal vehicle.  I have two 2020 gasser work trucks for my business but my personal truck is a 2020 HC Duramax.,  The 6.6 gas is cheaper than the Duramax and gets the job done just fine but IMO they are not even close to being as pleasurable to drive as the Duramax.  Long drives towing with the gas, lots of shifting and high revs whereas the Duramax quietly hums along with power to spare.  Even if i didn't tow much I would prefer the diesel.   The additional maintenance costs are well worth it!  The 10spd in the Duramax is awesome, so don't forget about that benefit as well.

As far as the reliability, I have not had one issue with emissions on Duramax trucks and I've used them for plowing, short daily drives and everything in between.  Don't let the comments about reliability and all the emissions issues scare you away, they are very few and far between.  The Duramax/Allison also has a 100,000 mile power train warranty, gasser only 60k.

All that said, I would be very interested to drive the 6.6 gas with a 10spd transmission, I just can't understand why they wouldn't offer it. The GM HD gas motors are incredibly reliable, we have had some transmissions go on our gas work trucks but not one issue with the previous 6.0's and I'm assuming the 6.6's will be just as reliable.  Drive them both and decide for yourself..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I recently transitioned to my first diesel. It is so smooth and tows really well. But I think a large part of that is the 10 speed transmission. I have not had to deal with any issues yet, so we'll see how I feel in the future. But for now, I'm sold on diesel.

On 8/11/2020 at 7:22 PM, Londart2020 said:

Little late now. The truck towed the trailer like a mule team. Went up the hills in Idaho and Montana no issues 70-75mph. Its just the legality of being over the "payload" and the 24 gallon tank for long trips sucks.

How much over payload are you?  It seems from a legal standpoint you get 5% leeway. So in the case of my truck I can be like 300lbs over GVWR and still be legal.  I’m only 80lbs over, so I’m going to try to make it work until 2022.  It’s getting harder to wait though. Putting bikes and kayaks in the camper instead of the truck is going to get old really fast.  I want a HD truck with 8 foot bed, fiberglass cap, and roof rack for the yaks.

1 hour ago, rjpoog1989 said:

How much over payload are you?  It seems from a legal standpoint you get 5% leeway. So in the case of my truck I can be like 300lbs over GVWR and still be legal.  I’m only 80lbs over, so I’m going to try to make it work until 2022.  It’s getting harder to wait though. Putting bikes and kayaks in the camper instead of the truck is going to get old really fast.  I want a HD truck with 8 foot bed, fiberglass cap, and roof rack for the yaks.

Well I had never heard this, and have not weighed it. Its also kind of a mute point now too..took delivery of this friday.

20200814_181932.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Londart2020 said:

Well I had never heard this, and have not weighed it. Its also kind of a mute point now too..took delivery of this friday.

20200814_181932.jpg

Gorgeous truck. You'll love that diesel. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pastusak.t said:

Congrats man. Did they cancel your order?

Thank you. Yes, I was told they had too many orders and not enough parts, so it came down to checking local dealers everyday to find one in stock.