GM service bulletin for faulty valve springs

Not hard to figure this one out, they had issues with the previous models too so it's not like this is just some rare freak occurrence either or bad batch. Gm's dependance on cheap Chinese parts is never going to pay off in the end no matter how much cost in labor and material is saved. The new vette while an amazing looking vehicle that performs great, when the frunk lid is not blowing off while driving or brand new 100 miles engines dumping valves and causing catastrophic disaster the first day of ownership. Bad enough when it happens to a 60k truck but a vette and it's complexity and difficulty of removing the engine, i can't imagine buying your dream car and having to have a couple gm tech guys rip it all apart before you even make a payment on it.

Gm should do what's right here and give complete refunds to the people who have had issues before they even hit a thousands miles, but we know that wont happen without a major fight with them!

• Like 4

Hello there. New to this site but life long chevy truck lover/owner 

So I just bought a 2020 silverado trail boss w 6.2 & had it 3 days & 145 mi & it shut off in traffic in town on me. Long story w issues getting it 2 dealer (thanks roadside assistance) but it was determined that it had the faulty valve springs & required an engine replacement. That was 18 days ago & it is still at the dealer being repaired. Told 2day that I will not get it back til next week. Again, I love my trucks & chevy but I am getting very frustrated. Is anyone else going thru this on here? 

11 hours ago, MsKlaws said:

So I just bought a 2020 silverado trail boss w 6.2 & had it 3 days & 145 mi & it shut off in traffic in town on me. Long story w issues getting it 2 dealer (thanks roadside assistance) but it was determined that it had the faulty valve springs & required an engine replacement. That was 18 days ago & it is still at the dealer being repaired. Told 2day that I will not get it back til next week. Again, I love my trucks & chevy but I am getting very frustrated. Is anyone else going thru this on here? 

Tough situation there as I would be upset if my new truck needed a new engine, however, the good side of this is that you will no longer have to be concerned about the valve spring issue? Trying to be positive for ya. As far as the truck not getting back to you, I assume it's because there was a stoppage on the engines to confirm the new engine you are getting doesn't fall into this window of issue. In addition, some parts issues could have shown up as the 'Rona did slow things down for quite a while.

Hope you get it back soon and have a million trouble free miles after !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bought a new 2020 Sierra Denali 6.2 on 9/29. Did not even make it home, broken spring at 60 miles. Today 10/5 broke a second spring at 120 miles. Told them not call me unless all remaining valve springs are replaced.   This was GM truck 12 for me and will be my last. The dealer service tech said its only a TSB, not a recall, I pointed to the truck and told him there sits proof of the issue. Good luck to anyone that experiences this mess. 

• Sad 1

Hello carbon - MsKlaws here   Thanks 4 the positive reply 2 my above question of if anyone is having issues w broken valve spring issue in 6.2 trucks. I'm going on day 21 of being without my new Trail Boss & my dealer called 2day w update of going 2 get it back this Thursday or Friday. While initially we did think the whole Corona deal would hold up parts; that didn't seem 2 b a major factor. It was a mess getting it 2 dealer, then them speaking w GM as 2 how 2 proceed, then ordering in new engine & components, then they needed 4 Bolts for fuel pump & they weren't ordered & that held it up anothr wkend & of course they want to drive it a few days 2 ensure all goes well. I can take credit for holding up a day as I have them putting on new BFG All Terrain T/A K02's as I always have those tires on my silverados. But by time I get it back, it will be over 3 wks & almost time for 1st payment. Again, I bleed bowtie & love me my silverados but I am real frustrated & I'm rational & understand there is a lot going on in the world now & this isn't the end of the world... But I think we all know how great that just got my new dream truck feeling like is & then this just kind of takes away from that experience. But I thank u 4 the positive vibes & can't wait 2 climb up in & hopefully have many, many problem free miles! Thanks again 

On 10/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, BIGDOGx said:

Not hard to figure this one out, they had issues with the previous models too so it's not like this is just some rare freak occurrence either or bad batch. Gm's dependance on cheap Chinese parts is never going to pay off in the end no matter how much cost in labor and material is saved. The new vette while an amazing looking vehicle that performs great, when the frunk lid is not blowing off while driving or brand new 100 miles engines dumping valves and causing catastrophic disaster the first day of ownership. Bad enough when it happens to a 60k truck but a vette and it's complexity and difficulty of removing the engine, i can't imagine buying your dream car and having to have a couple gm tech guys rip it all apart before you even make a payment on it.

Gm should do what's right here and give complete refunds to the people who have had issues before they even hit a thousands miles, but we know that wont happen without a major fight with them!

I agree that they should make this a recall & compensate us going thru this issue - mine died on day 3 w 145 miles & it's 21 days in & im not 2 get it back til Thursday or Friday... But I must say; I would rather drive an old silverado than a new vette any day!  My 60k truck plus the 5k in accessories/aftermarket goodies are just as special & important to me as I'm sure a new vette is to that person... My Trail Boss w 6.2 & all the goodies is my dream truck/vehicle. & even tho they are giving me a new engine in it; I agree I don't like that they are already wrenching on it b4 even making a payment. Pls don't think I'm being catty - I think we are all of the same mind on here about our rides. It just sucks for all of us dealing w this issue & i hope GM does take sum kind of better action 4 this 4 all affected

On 10/3/2020 at 2:48 AM, MsKlaws said:

Was the engine damaged beyond just a bad spring?  If it wasn't, they should have just ordered either 16 new springs because they want all of them replaced on a 6.2, or two new cylinder heads and got it handled.  

9 hours ago, RLW59 said:

Bought a new 2020 Sierra Denali 6.2 on 9/29. Did not even make it home, broken spring at 60 miles. Today 10/5 broke a second spring at 120 miles. Told them not call me unless all remaining valve springs are replaced.   This was GM truck 12 for me and will be my last. The dealer service tech said its only a TSB, not a recall, I pointed to the truck and told him there sits proof of the issue. Good luck to anyone that experiences this mess. 

Bad parts can happen with ANY automaker, GM included.  What is worse is the PI (its not even a TSB yet) says on all 6.2 applications to replace ALL the valves on BOTH SIDES if only ONE is found bad.  So the tech didn't follow the repair outlined in the PI for 6.2 engines.  

#PIP5752A: Service Engine Light misfire engine noise With DTC P0300 P0106 P0506 - (Sep 22, 2020)
Correction

During inspection if you determine that the engine has a broken valve spring it will be necessary to perform a cylinder leakage test on the affected cylinder.

If no cylinder leakage is observed it will be necessary to replace all valve springs on both banks if the vehicle is built between June 1, 2020 to September 15, 2020.

Note: This only applies to the 6.2L engines RPOs L87, LT1, LT4 and LT2. For all other engine RPOs L82, L84 and L8T just replace the affected valve spring.

If you determine that engine has cylinder leakage it will be necessary to inspect further to determine the extent of the engine damage to determine correct repair required.

Important: All valve springs will be requested back for further analysis and inspection.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I agree that a bad batch of parts can happen, I understand that, what I take issue with, is the replacement of just the one valve spring, knowing they cannot identify which ones are bad. GM should do the same procedure on all engines that have the failure, and that is replace them all, so that I/we do not get to experience the issue, over and over. I begged the dealership to replace them all on the first failure, at 60 miles. GM would not allow them to do so.

This is my second bad experience with a GM product in the past 4 years (life long GM owner), the other was a 2016 Tahoe they never could fix. The dealership helped on that one, with a great deal on a trade in.  I think, they did so, just to get it out of the service area, where it resided most of the time. I will say, the dealership has been great, and  the reason I stayed with another GM product. I did not go with RAM, because I thought the GMC would be more reliable. Hopefully, it will be in the long run.

It was an 8/20 build. I would be cautious with any 6.2 built in the time frame of the TSB right now.

3 hours ago, RLW59 said:

I agree that a bad batch of parts can happen, I understand that, what I take issue with, is the replacement of just the one valve spring, knowing they cannot identify which ones are bad. GM should do the same procedure on all engines that have the failure, and that is replace them all, so that I/we do not get to experience the issue, over and over. I begged the dealership to replace them all on the first failure, at 60 miles. GM would not allow them to do so.

This is my second bad experience with a GM product in the past 4 years (life long GM owner), the other was a 2016 Tahoe they never could fix. The dealership helped on that one, with a great deal on a trade in.  I think, they did so, just to get it out of the service area, where it resided most of the time. I will say, the dealership has been great, and  the reason I stayed with another GM product. I did not go with RAM, because I thought the GMC would be more reliable. Hopefully, it will be in the long run.

It was an 8/20 build. I would be cautious with any 6.2 built in the time frame of the TSB right now.

Is this issue only for 6.2's or are the 5.3's built during this timeframe affected as well?

I'm smack dab in the middle of that window. I have around 800 miles so far. No issues other then what sounds like a belt / pulley squeal for the first 30 seconds on cold start. Goes away after that. I will have them look at it at first oil change, problems like that typically get worse - not go away.