Which oil filter?

Kclyatt

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

If paint overspray on metal filter body is a concern to you, I don't even want to know what other little things in your life you complain about.

Get a grip people.

If the overspray was on the other end, it’d be a Fram! ?

while you are at it it... make sure that you have a magnetic drain plug. you will then be privy to any issues with hardening of cams and rollers... before you find out acoustically...

see the little pile of iron that the PF 63E didn't get

6330C17A-188F-45AF-8BC4-06CE24B722D9.jpeg

Edited by PPK

17 hours ago, newdude said:

ACDelco UPF-63R, the Ultraguard Gold.  These are built like the good AC Delco regular filters used to be, Non E-Core construction.  They are used in the gen III High Feature 3.6 V6 engines and can be used on the Gen 5 V6/V8 engines. 

ACDelco® UPF63R - Specialty™ Ultraguard Gold Engine Oil Filter

I use the same UPF63R here

Decided to have a look inside both the 63E and 63R...R has thicker can and tighter media and metal end caps. E has the core and ultrasonic end cap installed and can was thinner.Visually the R wins this contest but the E definitely matches the super tech filters inside and out.

44DD429B-FB9B-4B9B-874E-7EDA2C4ED3FD.jpeg

3358C7C8-FB74-4A09-846E-631112D19F24.jpeg

• Like 2

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what you use. Engines last 200-300k miles and failures/rebuilds/etc are never due to what type of filters are used in most of vehicles on the road. On top of that, most people on this forum won't even keep their new T1 past 100k miles. So again, it really doesn't matter. Use what you want. Internet search all you want. Watch all the youtube videos. Go down that hole. I've been there too. End the end, it really doesn't matter. I'm sure there will be one person who claims an oil filter blew up or their engine or their cousin's engine blew up and they blamed the filter, etc. I'm more worried about hose crimps failing and dumping oil all over the road or failed valve springs or the window leaking or some other more likely failure on these vehicles. Pick a filter, be happy. Pick a different one, still be happy. :) ymmv.

Edited by UGADawgs
  • Like 3

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what you use. Engines last 200-300k miles and failures/rebuilds/etc are never due to what type of filters are used in most of vehicles on the road. On top of that, most people on this forum won't even keep their new T1 past 100k miles. So again, it really doesn't matter. Use what you want. Internet search all you want. Watch all the youtube videos. Go down that hole. I've been there too. End the end, it really doesn't matter. I'm sure there will be one person who claims an oil filter blew up or their engine or their cousin's engine blew up and they blamed the filter, etc. I'm more worried about hose crimps failing and dumping oil all over the road or failed valve springs or the window leaking or some other more likely failure on these vehicles. Pick a filter, be happy. Pick a different one, still be happy. [emoji4] ymmv.

Totally agreed. Just had my oil cooler lines replaced under warranty. 31k miles and one was leaking bad. My dealership stocks them because they change them regularly. Gm needs to change the design. Stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Pick a filter, be happy. Pick a different one, still be happy. :) ymmv.

I have to agree with this for the most part.

I currently run NAPA Platinum in all my vehicles (made by WIX I think) 

You can usually pick them up at a good price when they are on sale ($7.50 or less)...otherwise they are approx $12

On 12/7/2020 at 2:08 PM, Kclyatt said:

I am amazed that the 6.2l filter from AC Delco (PF63E) is exactly identical inside and out to the Walmart cheap Super Tech ST 10575 (Bob is the oil guy).  Also there are 50/50 opinions on the quality of the E core filters and with so many options out there I am curious what is everyone using for their ride?

I currently am thinking going with the Purolator Boss PBL22500 based on cut open filter pics, specs and reviews. I want best filter for the engine/longevity especially with DFM and the AC Delco seems ok but what do others think?

Have you verified the relief valve pressures?

5 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what you use. Engines last 200-300k miles and failures/rebuilds/etc are never due to what type of filters are used in most of vehicles on the road. 

Then by a remote kit and loop the inlet back to the outlet and stop buying filters period.

What can a sentence mean that uses Never and Most together. Which is it, Never or Most?

As written this statement means that for motors that NEVER fail the filter is NEVER the problem.

Ya think?

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28436/story-automotive-filters-engines

Nest to last paragraph reads:

The cost of a synthetic depth filter is almost double of that of the cellulose filter. It may only cost a few extra dollars in the beginning, but there have been multiple case studies on the effect of the cleanliness of the oil affecting component life to the tune of three to four times the life extension of the engine.

Edited by Grumpy Bear

44 minutes ago, Steve-2019 said:

I always like to check what the micron rating is for the filter media. (of course that can be subjective)

From Practical Lubrication & Filtration (Filtration #4)

Filter efficiency is easier to get if you are looking for it correctly. The box isn’t that. You are looking for ISO 4548-12 results. Thing is these test results can have any point of reference that marketing wishes and they wish to look stellar. Usually reference, however is 20 micron. So let’s start with an easy one to get.

This is a MEASUREMENT and as such not subjective.

Any decent filter will give you this information either on the box on on their website. You need to know both pieces of information however. ISO 4548-12 Beta number AND assurance of the 20 micron REFERENCNE point. 

Mobil 1 for example states the efficiency as a percentage and in really fine print on the the box notes it is a 30 micron reference. Totally confusing if you don't know how to convert percentages to a Beta value and useless in comparing to other 20 micron reference filters. 

Arm yourself with the objective truth. Read the link I provided earlier on this site