22 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I will do my own oil changes and maintenance until no longer able to.

I already can not in the winter and I don't think the cow will let me milk her just 6 months of the year. 

? 

Kidding aside; I don't let dealers do anything but unavoidable recalls. I have a trusted and groomed local shop who satisfies my requirements for competence, talent and cost. They are getting harder to find too. Hold on to the ones you can find. 

• Like 1

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty. 

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Edited by elcamino

It's $80 at my dealer for an 8-qt. oil change and tire rotation. It costs me about $50 for the oil and filter. I don't have the equipment to easily do the tire rotation. It's worth the extra $30 to me to let the dealer do it. For that $30, my tires get rotated, I don't make a mess in my garage and I don't have to deal with the used oil. 

Ridiculous.
I change my own for $40.
Mobil 1 0w20 12 qt box,
(oil is in a bag inside a box like a wine box),
at walmart is $49. Ac delco filters are $7.
I get 24 qts ( two boxes) of oil and 3 filters for around $120 = $40 . At this price I change it every 3500-4000 miles. Both of my 2018 5.3's.
I wouldn't let the dealer touch my trucks for an oil change. The last time they spilled oil all over, dirty hand prints and it wasn't full. 1/2 qt low when I got home.
They must have spilled the rest.
They let the car clean up kids do oil changes. No thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dieselfan1 said:

Ridiculous.
I change my own for $40.
Mobil 1 0w20 12 qt box,
I get 24 qts ( two boxes) of oil and 3 filters for around $120 = $40 . At this price I change it every 3500-4000 miles. Both of my 2018 5.3's.
I wouldn't let the dealer touch my trucks for an oil change. The last time they spilled oil all over, dirty hand prints and it wasn't full. 1/2 qt low when I got home.

Actually they threw it away! I get my bottles back and found that they leave about 2 ounces per quart for quarts and four to five ounces per gallon jug in the containers. The dump the containers so fast......you get the idea......

4 hours ago, elcamino said:

You can claim this all you want but the minute something does go wrong with your vehicle GM will ask you or the dealer where it has been serviced at and if it’s not a GM certified mechanic good luck having them warranty anything.  Like I said, GM has WAY more money then you do!  
For the $20 to $30 difference. I’ll let them pick up my truck do it, deliver it back, and when something breaks, guess what, the records show they have done all the maintenance on the vehicle. 

As for someone else commenting on being lazy or too fat. I’m far from that, I love tinkering with my truck. Heck my father has a shop, but when the truck is under GM Warranty, you best believe I’ll let the certified guys handle it till it’s up. 

You'd think an oil change and tire rotation is brain surgery......I can get an oil change done in 20 minutes dragging ass and the rotation done in another 20 with a floor jack and jackstand.  If you don't have an hour of time available in your life, you should reconsider how you're living.    

2 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

You can claim this all you want but the minute something does go wrong with your vehicle GM will ask you or the dealer where it has been serviced at and if it’s not a GM certified mechanic good luck having them warranty anything.  Like I said, GM has WAY more money then you do!  
For the $20 to $30 difference. I’ll let them pick up my truck do it, deliver it back, and when something breaks, guess what, the records show they have done all the maintenance on the vehicle. 

As for someone else commenting on being lazy or too fat. I’m far from that, I love tinkering with my truck. Heck my father has a shop, but when the truck is under GM Warranty, you best believe I’ll let the certified guys handle it till it’s up. 

Fear mongering.

• Thanks 1

Its a 2 beer job - and who doesnt like day drinkin? Rotella gas truck had a rebate ending up at $9 per 5qt - thats good oil for a hell of a price though normally decent synthetic oil is around $20 per 5g. 50 bones is about standard these days with a free change every 4 changes due to the 2 qts left over after each change...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd hate to think of how many quarts of oil I've poured doing them myself for over 35 years.  Of course now I've got 3 Chevy's and a Pilot to do, not to mention Quad, ZTR, outboard, tiller, log splitter... holy crap.  If a good coupon shows up I will allow the dealer to do the wifes' Pilot.  I will get my freebie and then do them myself.  I recently started using the Rotella myself, buy 5.3 filters by the 6pk.  I bottle the old and take it to the local tech who burns it in his shop HVAC.  

6 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Ridiculous.
I change my own for $40.
Mobil 1 0w20 12 qt box,

That is why I built this.  Out of all the oil changes I do I get a couple of qts every month from what drains out of the bottles after an oil change.  I use it in lawn equipment or when I get an old beater that uses oil every 1000 miles.  I can add more to it to hold as many qts or jugs as needed.  I just stopped at 5..  What I do is let the qts sit  on their side over night then dump them on here.  That way the oil is on the side and then drains right out and not trying to drip from the bottom of the container.

image.thumb.png.8c66628130d5bc4a88401e0e0e618c92.png

• Like 3