So my 2020 RST with the L84 5.3 was about due for an oil change. I got prices from the dealer and a local garage that I trust very much. Prices ranged from 100 to 180 with tax for a basic oil change depending on what oil I chose. So I decided to do the oil change myself. I got parts master 0w20 from the dealer and saw it is made by vavoline so I decided to give it a go, I also got the acdelco filter and the total was 60 bucks with tax. 

During the oil change I noticed that the vehicle was over full by about a 1/4 to 3/8ths over the fill mark and also that the pan takes a good bit to fully drain, more time then I waited for my courtesy oil change actually. Which got me thinking, can the dealer actually properly perform the oil change in the time that they do with a tire rotation and multi point inspection?

I also noticed that the filter was very tight on the vehicle, took a good bit and a few repositions to get her off, especially since the filter wrench decided to keep slipping on me.

After I was done I realized it took about an hour to fully drain and fill the engine. I also noticed that the oil was actually in the hash marks so that reaffirms that the dealer is not fully draining the oil before adding the full 8 qts.

So have you all experienced something like this yourselves? And also what do you check on your trucks when you do your oil change? I just looked at the air filter which was fine and general condition of the tires and other fluids. Couldn't find anything to lube up and am assuming that everything is sealed and non serviceable in todays age, the manual just says to "body lube" but it was only hinges on the physical body not chassis like I expected.

Congrats on getting that extra 10 to 12 ounces of dirty oil out. Not only will you do a better job than the dealer, but you'll know that the job was done right. Being a bit OCD I've most always done my own oil changes, even let the oil drain out overnight when possible to get that last bit of dirty oil out. The bottom of the oil pan is where the sludge  collects, just check your oil drain pan after it sets for a bit. Due to age and the creeping miseries (osteoarthritis) it won't be long and I'll be at the mercy of the dealer.

• Like 1

That dealer price is insane. Hope those are Canadian dollars. I always pay $74.95 + tax for Dexos oil change and tire rotation. Can’t do it myself for that price, especially if one values their time against doing a DIY tire rotation in the garage without a hoist. No thanks. 3B6455DA-050A-45B9-B14A-805E0A276DA1.thumb.jpeg.f6f4ec5abe5d32114faf227ddd00e030.jpeg

Nothing against DIY, I used to do it and still do it on my other vehicles. But a daily driven truck under warranty, I’ll leave to the dealer to do and save the time and effort.

18 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

That dealer price is insane. Hope those are Canadian dollars. I always pay $74.95 + tax for Dexos oil change and tire rotation. Can’t do it myself for that price, especially if one values their time against doing a DIY tire rotation in the garage without a hoist. No thanks. 3B6455DA-050A-45B9-B14A-805E0A276DA1.thumb.jpeg.f6f4ec5abe5d32114faf227ddd00e030.jpeg

Nothing against DIY, I used to do it and still do it on my other vehicles. But a daily driven truck under warranty, I’ll leave to the dealer to do and save the time and effort.

I'm in NJ. Dealer quoted around 100 with tax. A dealer over 30 miles away is doing that special at 79.95. The local garage was 110 for oil and multi point and 70 to rotate. I love their work but cant justify the price when a tire shop will rotate for 20 to 40 bucks with no other work. And based on the results from my last oil change I wont let them do another if I have any say in it.

I used to do them all myself but say a special at the dealer when getting my free oil change (only got 1) and jumped on it.  Their normal price was $399 for 6 oil changes/tire rotations but they had a special for $299 so I jumped on it.  There is no way I could come anywhere close to that price doing it myself.

Its far cheaper to do it yourself than to let the dealer do it, plus you get a good luck at the underside of your vehicle to check for any leaks or additional items of concern.  Also, be mindful of the oil and filter they use when they do those lower price oil changes, often times it will be a no name filter and synthetic blend oil.  Technically, your supposed to wait 30 minutes after vehicle use to check your oil level and I can guarantee you those techs aren't waiting that long to check your oil level to make sure the right amount is in there. 

If you have your oil changed by somebody other than yourself, make sure you check the oil level again after it has sat for 30 minutes to make sure it hasn't been over filled.  

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1

I get mine done here at dealership for $67. Full inspection and they pick up my truck and drop back off when I’m at work. Plus, if anything ever happens when under warranty GM can’t come back and state I didn’t have a certified GM mechanic working on my truck. If you do it yourself there is always a possibility of voided warranty. 
My father is a small town mechanic but not GM certified and even he states just let them do it til after warranty. GM has more money then any of us to try and fight them on that battle. 
As for the OP....I can’t believe they charge $100 or higher where you live. That’s insane  

Edited by TNTSilverado
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, J2Jones said:

I used to do them all myself but say a special at the dealer when getting my free oil change (only got 1) and jumped on it.  Their normal price was $399 for 6 oil changes/tire rotations but they had a special for $299 so I jumped on it.  There is no way I could come anywhere close to that price doing it myself.

$299 for six is a great price. However, I do my own using Mobil1, Dexos 1, Gen2 oil and an ACDELCO PF63E for less tan $50 a pop. Mobil1 $4.60 X 8 = $36.80, ACDELCO PF63E  $7.92. The two together $44.72 + 2.68 tax  for a total of $47.40.  $2.60 isn't much of a savings but I never have to worry if it was done correctly. Oh, and I love working on my vehicles.

2 hours ago, Gangly said:

Technically, your supposed to wait 30 minutes after vehicle use to check your oil level and I can guarantee you those techs aren't waiting that long to check your oil level to make sure the right amount is in there.

I'm not sure the techs check it at all. In a moment of weakness, I took my wife's equinox in soon after purchase for it's first (and last) free oil change. When it was finished I checked the oil right there in the dealership lot and it was way over filled. I pretty sure they put 5 qts into that little turbo that requires 4.2 qts. I had them correct it. It just confirmed my past and current practice of changing my own oil.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

In the end it’s hard to make a monetary argument one way or the other when it comes to DIY vs dealer oil changes. IMO. Too many variables. Some dealers are clearly overpriced. And on the other end of the spectrum, lots of people who DIY use their own favorite brands and it winds up costing way more than a dealer service.

Also can’t discount what your free time is worth to you. If you can work an extra hour instead, and make double what you’d save by DIY-ing, that makes sense. If you enjoy changing your own oil, or distrust a dealer, that’s another factor too. I just don’t think the financial aspect is always the biggest motive.

• Like 1

Don't need a lift to rotate your tires. Jack stands and a floor jack have worked just fine rotating my dually.  Also don't forget about oil rebates to save even more.  Both Mobile and Shell have rebates.  I was buying 10 gallons of oil for under $100 which is good enough for 4 oil changes.  Figured out it's even cheaper not buying 5 gallon buckets on sale from autozone/orielly's and next time I need oil I'll be getting gallon jugs from walmart and using Mobile's rebates that way.

Or you can buy the oil and filter yourself and bring it with you to the dealership.  I think they'd charge me $10 just for the labor, that was worth it when I wanted to be lazy.

Edited by Chevyguy85

Ive been a mechanic my whole life, if I can do it myself I do it. That being said, local dealer is 70 something bucks for an oil change + tire rotation. I can't beat that. Plus they have good donuts in the waiting room :)

It's good you got all the old oil out of the pan. Don't kill yourself for it though. Keep in mind, the oil cooler, lines, pump and passages are still mostly full of the old oil. It's near impossible to get a 100% oil change done. 

Edited by TeamSaris
  • Like 1

Doing it myself just gives me peace of mind, I get to know exactly what is going into my truck and honestly I love blasting the radio while doing it for the 20-25mins it takes at a normal pace.

Only downside I have ever experienced is the winter changes here and having to take the oil somewhere, but those are just minor gripes 

I struggle with the, "I can't do it that cheap myself" argument.

If you consider the ACDELCO, Dexos 1, Gen 2 oil the dealership is using is probably the Exxon/Mobil equivalent of SuperTech Dexos 1, Gen 2 oil, it's not even close. They are both full synthetic API SN+, ILSAC 5 rated oil. Now if you want a better then basically-meets- the-standard oil at the dealership your only choice is Mobil1. See what you'll pay for that at the dealership?

I posted the numbers earlier showing I DIY using Mobil1 & the ACDELCO filter for less than $50. If I were to do it with SuperTech it would be less than $30. When you compare an oil change using the cheapest Exxon/Mobil, (branded as ACDELCO), dexos1, gen 2, oil at the dealership against a do-it-yourself oil change using the cheapest dexos1, gen2, oil available, it's a relatively significant difference ($30 vs $70+).

So to compare apples-to-apples, what would a Mobil1 oil change at the dealership cost compared to my less than $50 mobil1 oil DIY change?

Don't get me wrong, the $70, 8 qt., special my local dealership is running for the ACDelco oil is a good deal if you're not a DIYer. If I didn't prefer to do my own maintenance I would take advantage of that deal. However, it's not nearly as inexpensive, or as satisfying, as an equivalent DIY oil change.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

• Like 1