GM to go totally electric in 2035. Thoughts?

Probably true. Not due to how good battery power will be, but due to gasoline being taxed into oblivion. Gleefully, with one party rule looking ahead.....

since there wont be enough gas tax to support infrastructure, has anyone put any thought into how they will be taxing us on EV's. will it be by the miles driven, or by the power from the outlets in the garage??  will home power consuption be more expensive, and will i have to buy $60,000 worth of solar panels to charge my $30,000 ev car? 

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

I have a somewhat unique perspective on this.

First, I'm California. What happens every fire season? Rolling blackouts. This will hamper people's abilities to recharge their cars and get to/from work. And, deaths by wildfires will increase because weren't able to recharge their cars and escape the incoming fire.

Second, military families are not willing to jump to full EV yet. During a typical PCS move they drive not in one day than the car has range. They're only alloted a set amount of time to get from one place to the next. For example, a military family is given 8 days to go from Norfolk, VA to San Diego, CA. That's a 2700 mile trip. Assuming 300 miles range per day and it'll take 9 days straight, with no time for house hunting, etc. A typical PCS just got more expensive, and on the taxpayer's dime due to increased food and hotel expenses. Furthermore, this is assuming they aren't hauling anything. Many military families use trucks or fill every inch of an SUVor minivan to haul a lot of gear, clothes, documents, etc. They won't be getting 300 miles range. I have spoken to many who wouldn't mind an EV, but all have stated the technology just isn't there yet for a typical military family.

Third, most military personnel living in military housing don't pay an electric bill. Only the highest 10% of users have a bill to pay. Even then it's only the difference between what they used and the top threshold for their group, so it isn't much. They don't have to pay until the bill exceeds $25, so they can carry a balance every month until it gets to that point. Everybody being forced to use EVs means the money the government pays for electricity will be substantially increased.

Overall, I foresee either a large military budget via increased taxes or a smaller military. Ironically, I've seen the government finding ways of accomplishing both simultaneously via eliminating military jobs and increasing the cost to provide the same services the military provides via a new government agency. Defense Health Agency is a perfect example.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

you also forget ev batteries dont have the same energy output when they are below 30-40 degrees F. which means your ev truck needs to burn energy to heat itself up to the correct temp. in order to give max performance

Edited by flyingfool

It will be interesting to see how much more mining is done for the raw materials for the batteries that will be needed to supply the millions of vehicles that will be produced.  They think drilling for oil  is bad, look at the damage caused by mining.  Not to mention the oil burning vehicles doing the mining process. So is it really a better deal?

• Like 2

I'm not interested in an EV today. But I will be when it becomes economically beneficial to own one and it meets all of my needs. Is that gonna happen in 10 years? 20 years? Who knows. I don't plan that far ahead.

No one can see that far into the future. Obviously the battery & motor technology is improving every day thanks to Mr Musk. The infrastructure will follow when there is enough demand.

I can share this: in my line of work on cell phone towers every cell site was connected to the switch via copper telco lines 10 years ago. Today they have fiber optic to dang near every single tower. Think about how many miles of FO cable had to be buried. That didn't happen overnight, but its been years in the making. Some day they will have the power infrastructure ready to give each homeowner a charging port in the garage. It won't happen tomorrow.

You can no longer ride a horse from sea to sea? When did this happen? Not being sarcastic.

You can still legally ride a horse from sea to sea. You just have more things/laws that you need to be aware of.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Several things here!

First, I have done a lot of reading on this. Most of you have mentioned the top points. Greta and all the left wing lovers are making you think this just happens. Well it doesn't.

The mining of lithium right now is insignificant, but when the whole world gears up for this you are going to here about that, never mind the fact that the mining will be done with diesel equipment. haha  Also when cars crash, start on fire or wear out where are we going to dispose of the toxic batteries? 

Bad pun I know, but currently in most parts of the world we don't have the electrical infrastructure to charge all the cars and trucks. I have read that trillions and trillions need to be spent on this. And renewables are not the answer based on the volume of electric supply that will be required.  Wind and solar are just a small percentage of the power output that will be required. Are the do gooders going to approve of nuclear all over the world? From my viewpoint windmills, solar panels are ugly but whatever. The tree huggers will have lots of tress to hug but windmills are going to kill birds by the millions.

In recent interviews from GM OOOPPPS gm it seems Mary is back tracking on 2035. She is now saying that is a target date but that they realize it is a lofty goal. Hell they can't even tell me when I can get a Multi flex on a current model Silverado and they ae going to make 20 plus models by 2023.

It is going to happen I am sure but I will never see it. Most of you I am sure have been following all the President Biden Executive orders. 40 this morning and counting. I though only Dictators governed like this but so be it. I expect him to write one soon demanding that the sky is blue everyday!

Keystone pipeline being one of them. You should all be aware by the way that the oil from my backyard is still flowing to Texas refinery's. The pipeline construction is stopped but Warren Buffett's trains are still taking oil to Texas from Canada. By the way Buffett is the single most contributor to the Democratic Party! Anyone with any common sense would realize that oil, natural gas, petro chemicals are way safer to transport by pipeline than by rail. But what ever, your Presidents decision. But just so you know back in 2014? a town in Quebec Canada was burned to the ground when a train carrying North Dakota oil on its way to New Brunswick refineries derailed.

My point is oil is not going away anytime soon. By pipeline or rail.  But without the pipeline for Texas refineries to have the volume of heavy oil they need, and the pipeline would have supplied will now have to buy from Venezuela or some other dictatorship. 

Really the world was and is going the direction of electric, Biden is making political points by making these decrees has nothing to do with it. He is solving nothing! I am 65 so buy the time I croak I am sure the world will be all lovey dovey with electric. Although I don't know how I will be cremated with out natural gas.Take a look at a few of the pictures below

Oil by train and current pipelines in USA.

LUijktf_.jpg.4a73af491e0781e0f2ecb0440ac98384.jpgEsWTM6-U0AYfjJU.jpg.7d0931daee0d563fa54bf8f80aa5b4fc.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hate to break it to you all. It’s about who’s getting paid. There’s one president in the recent past who lost money being in office he just left. The new one became a millionaire being in public office. Payback time. How many jobs got lost in the last two weeks? It’s not rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2