In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

jlong1984

GM to go totally electric in 2035. Thoughts?

Isn't this all manufactures plans ? Not saying I'm happy or I agree with it but it seems like every company is investing billions to move to Electric 

• Like 1

Yeah, it will never happen in our lifetime. If she plan's to go through with this people will flock to other brands. 

• Like 1

Yeah, there’s a lot of stuff I never thought would happen in my lifetime that did. Look around. The war on oil is back.

EVs are going to be mandated by the government. Either directly, or indirectly by way of taxation, ludicrous fuel economy standards, and/or outrageous fuel costs. Smart business move on their end to have a plan in place. Plus it’s hard to argue with the wind behind Tesla’s sails.

That gives them 14 years to work on the fake V8 noise they will play in our 2035 truck cabins. 

Two years ago, I think I would have scoffed at this. However, the performance of EVs continues to impress each year. I'm down with going fully EV by 2035. 

I'll just keep my 2019 5.3L RST with the GMPE as a relic, to tell my kids about "back in my day". ?    

They want all these EV's but guess where all the stuff to get the batteries are, underground........

Bunch of stupid paper pushers that only do things because of their agenda. The US will never be carbon free by 2040 or 2050, it's impossible.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Big Oil has already started the lawsuits and governments suing Big Oil. 

This ought to be good.

:lurk:

Edited by Grumpy Bear

While I'm kinda excited about electric forcing everyone to up their game and work on tech, I still think they have a ways to go before it's embraced and common.

3 hours ago, CamGTP said:

They want all these EV's but guess where all the stuff to get the batteries are, underground........

Bunch of stupid paper pushers that only do things because of their agenda. The US will never be carbon free by 2040 or 2050, it's impossible.

Yep... It'll be good until there's 1,000s of 10 mile wide craters in the Earth and then tree huggers will cry about that. 

I don't mind progress but this is a ways off.  We still need to use carbon based fuels to charge, windmills are a HUGE waste of resources that end up in landfills....and solar simply isn't even close yet (despite what the 10s of thousands of start-ups tell you).

• Like 1

I don't think it's realistic, personally. I just think it's pretty words to help boost their stocks and fund their R&D. Tesla is proof that this is definitely the future but I think we're many more than 14 years away from full electric. 

• Like 2

It'll make the oil last longer for the things that still need it.  

• Like 1

On the face of it looks to be a cart before it's horse. 

No one ever seems to discuss where all the power to charge all these vehicles will come from or how the needed extra infrastructure will be installed. All the buried power lines in cities would all have  to be upsized to support all the chargers needed in every home. 
imagine everyone getting home and all plugging in their car at the same time...... just saying.

They’ll probably be OK with all the new ROWs they’ll need to put transmission lines in for all the new electric power they’ll need. Opposed to buried pipelines that all you see is grass. Talk about an eyesore. Instead of refinery’s generation plants that run on fossil fuel. Ever see a wind farm or solar farm? Lots of space. And then there’s the batteries. The brilliant people are back, hang on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3