E85

16 minutes ago, beetle said:

So, I thought I would give this a try, about $1:45 a gallon cheaper than regular pump gas, 100+ octane too. It really woke things up, I did not expect it, instant HP.. I didn't know 100 octane was offered with E85, what about in your area and your experience? I live in So Cal.

https://ibb.co/JcfSgHS

E85 is great for power but not great for MPG.  Won't hurt anything by running E85 daily either.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_benefits.html#:~:text=A gallon of ethanol contains,economy when operating your vehicle.&text=For example%2C E85 that contains,lessens as ethanol content decreases).

• Like 2

E85 is great for power but not great for MPG.

Even with poor mpg it comes down to cost per mile. In my area it’s usually $1 less than premium.

$2.00/gal E85 @ 14 mpg is better than $3/gal @ 20mpg.

I’ve run a mix attempting to get around E30. I only see about 2 mpg less overall and save $20 per fill-up comparing to premium.
  • Confused 1

It was definitely worth it to me in my 2014. Twenty five horsepower hell yea. In my case my local Kroger had it. With the Kroger’s card it was cheaper. On trips I ran regular gas. I always had hand held tuners. In this case I left the engine tuning alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MY164X4 said:

What's the cost of a good e85 conversion kit?
5.3L

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

The parts and wiring connector is maybe $60-70 to do it the cheaper way. The sensor and a couple fittings/plastic lines to connect to the tank and fuel line. Otherwise I think DSX Tuning offers a full kit for a few hundred dollars but you still have to wire in the sensor from the harness that is down on the frame.

Plus you need to tune for it. No way I'd ever put a full tank of E85 in a truck that isn't tuned for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CamGTP said:

The parts and wiring connector is maybe $60-70 to do it the cheaper way. The sensor and a couple fittings/plastic lines to connect to the tank and fuel line. Otherwise I think DSX Tuning offers a full kit for a few hundred dollars but you still have to wire in the sensor from the harness that is down on the frame.

Plus you need to tune for it. No way I'd ever put a full tank of E85 in a truck that isn't tuned for it.

I've been working on E85 for a little while for my 2018 and didn't like the DSX kit mostly because the sensor harness is already on the trucks and the DSX kit pins into the ECM connector directly as the sensor is located above driver side valve cover.  Bought a CJ Tunes kit a while back which mounts near factory placement and uses the existing harness but instead I'm putting together all the OEM fuel lines.  Just missing the main supply line, still working on getting the correct part number which has been challenging.  Plan on a spring project and a write up on here!  (Also ditching the capless fill at the same time.)

x2 what Cam said. I used a fitting order off Rock Auto, boiled it to straighten a bend and threw it in. No problems at all and it's been 6 months. 

If you already have money invested in the CJ tunes kit - just use it! Cutting and flaring fuel line is easy. Far easier than replacing the entire lines. 

20 hours ago, beetle said:

So, I thought I would give this a try, about $1:45 a gallon cheaper than regular pump gas, 100+ octane too. It really woke things up, I did not expect it, instant HP.. I didn't know 100 octane was offered with E85, what about in your area and your experience? I live in So Cal.

https://ibb.co/JcfSgHS

I have yet to see (Northern Illinois) the price low enough to make the cost per mile worth the loss in efficiency. Kid you not, last week the cheapest E-85 in my area was 50 cents a gallon MORE than Costco's 87 and only a few cents cheaper than their 93. Even some Casey's stores the E-85 was a nickel higher than 87. As I haven't any power adders..... :dunno:

Dad lives in Iowa and there....it makes sense. Normally 30% less. 

1 hour ago, lucas287 said:

x2 what Cam said. I used a fitting order off Rock Auto, boiled it to straighten a bend and threw it in. No problems at all and it's been 6 months. 

If you already have money invested in the CJ tunes kit - just use it! Cutting and flaring fuel line is easy. Far easier than replacing the entire lines. 

I definitely do not disagree with you guys but I like doing the digging and the leg work!  Carl's kit seemed the best and easiest way to go.  I already posted the kit on here for sale before this thread got started and ordered half my OE lines.  Plan to share everything once I get under the truck when it warms up a little and the snow melts.