5.3L impressed

i have to say my GMC 5.3 8 speed feels better than my 19 RST 5.3 8spd......i dont know if its a fact, but it feels peppier with better shift points and more power.....i had a 2500 6.6l in between these trucks and am pretty sure GM didnt change anything but it certainly does feel like they refined it......GMC vs chevy idk, and its probably the exact same it just feels different......the whole truck just feels more refined than my 19....weather seals, tightness of door closing, noise, steering, motor, tranny, it just feels like different truck but the same all in one.....

50 minutes ago, Dunn said:

i have to say my GMC 5.3 8 speed feels better than my 19 RST 5.3 8spd......i dont know if its a fact, but it feels peppier with better shift points and more power.....i had a 2500 6.6l in between these trucks and am pretty sure GM didnt change anything but it certainly does feel like they refined it......GMC vs chevy idk, and its probably the exact same it just feels different......the whole truck just feels more refined than my 19....weather seals, tightness of door closing, noise, steering, motor, tranny, it just feels like different truck but the same all in one.....

That's easy --GMC>>>>>Chevy

16 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

That's easy --GMC>>>>>Chevy

maybe so.......i would probably continue to buy GMC over Chevy though from now on after owning both of same trim ( RST vs Elevation) and body style of new T1 gen.....certainly feels like a " tighter more refined" truck for sure

Goes without saying that there were likely a LOT of small refinements between 19 and 21. Slight tweaks in the manufacturing process and the parts themselves, tuning changes, etc...all done on the fly and without any fanfare. Probably accounts for more of the difference than Chevy vs GMC.

12 hours ago, Jav_eee said:

They’re literally the same.

And my GMC gave me all the problems in less than 10k miles while my Chevy has given me none in over 30k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you really take my comment as being serious ? lol I'm very well aware they are the same 

15 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Goes without saying that there were likely a LOT of small refinements between 19 and 21. Slight tweaks in the manufacturing process and the parts themselves, tuning changes, etc...all done on the fly and without any fanfare. Probably accounts for more of the difference than Chevy vs GMC.

probably so....

16 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

fair enough :)  But GMC is still better! 

Don't know if it's better, but the Chevy is fancier than the GMC.  It wears a bowtie everywhere it goes.  :chevy:  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just drove a new tahoe with the 5.3 and 10speed and I was very impressed. I know the tahoe gained some weight but it felt as peppy as my inlaws denali xl with the 6.2 and 8speed. Might lose in a flat out drag race but eh thats not going to happen anyways.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

On 3/10/2021 at 9:29 PM, SilveradoRST said:

What roughness are you experiencing with the 8 speed?

Extremely jerky in cold mornings. My remedy is to start it from a distance as I walk towards it. Give it about 30 seconds then it's way smoother.

Warm, it's fine.

On 3/13/2021 at 7:03 PM, Wiggums said:

Extremely jerky in cold mornings. My remedy is to start it from a distance as I walk towards it. Give it about 30 seconds then it's way smoother.

Warm, it's fine.

Same here. Whenever I fire mine up, back right out of the driveway and head off, I get a bit of a funky slip in shift from 1-2 about a half block away from home. 

2019 5.3L / 8spd in my RST. On the whole, it's a good (not great) transmission. The tuning on it really is excellent, though. As many have said here, it's quick. And noticeably so. 

I have 15K on mine in 2 years. I've really only had the harsh 1-2 or 2-1 clunk shifts on this thing maybe 3-4 times. And I've never had the TSB fluid change done on mine, either. 

On 3/11/2021 at 12:34 AM, spizike9 said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but the ‘20 has the 10 speed right? The ‘19 has the 8 speed with the 5.3 but I don’t think the ‘20 does. 

that is correct i have the 2020 sierra slt and it has the 10 speed

6 hours ago, econometrics said:

Same here. Whenever I fire mine up, back right out of the driveway and head off, I get a bit of a funky slip in shift from 1-2 about a half block away from home. 

2019 5.3L / 8spd in my RST. On the whole, it's a good (not great) transmission. The tuning on it really is excellent, though. As many have said here, it's quick. And noticeably so. 

I have 15K on mine in 2 years. I've really only had the harsh 1-2 or 2-1 clunk shifts on this thing maybe 3-4 times. And I've never had the TSB fluid change done on mine, either. 

I had the TSB fluid change done at around 2k miles and asked them to reprogram or reboot it. I know they did it because everything in the computer was reset. It still did the jerkiness. Sometimes if I forget and jump in and shift it to D, the transmission moves too slowly from 1 to 2 and seems to just sit in the middle of the two, causes the rear tires to squeal once it latches on the 2nd gear. Only on cold mornings though, out of habit, I now remote start it a few seconds before getting in. It's a regular occurrence for me.. and I now have around 5k miles on it. Nobody wants to drive it anymore. Mine was built in April 2019 so I assume it's the earlier version. I know it's a lot better now though, even with the 8-speeds. Once it warms up, it's great.