Dash Cameras

Kind of a generic automotive question here, but looking for recommendations for a good dash camera. Considering it's a critical safety feature these days.

I have 2 so far, but I am not happy with either. the first is a Rexing brand, and its great...when it works. the problem is that isn't all that often. sitting in the windshield it seems to overheat in any temperature over 60 degrees if the sun is out, it will lock up even before it finishes displaying the splash screen. when you can get it to work its a great camera, but overall its terrible. I got a second one for my truck and this time spent 4x as much on one that was very highly rated, top on most lists actually. the Nextbase 622GW. 4k which is great as I've found at 1080 like the Rexing you can't read a plate unless you are really close to it. but to my dismay this one also is far less than perfect. better than my first camera for sure, but it also locks up often. I look over at it periodically and frequently see the lights not blinking and the display frozen and buttons not responding.

has anyone purchased a dash cam that offers good features and high quality images that actually works?

I have no idea why all these manufacturers can't build a camera that actually works when you need it. and both suffer from the same problem, frequent lock ups. you would think any engineer designing a product like this would know to incorporate a watchdog timer (software at least, hardware far better) which would automatically reset the camera should it freeze, yet 2 in a row, one a $400 product, it doesn't make me feel Iike I'm protected out there.

18 minutes ago, kodiakdenali said:

Kind of a generic automotive question here, but looking for recommendations for a good dash camera. Considering it's a critical safety feature these days.

I have 2 so far, but I am not happy with either. the first is a Rexing brand, and its great...when it works. the problem is that isn't all that often. sitting in the windshield it seems to overheat in any temperature over 60 degrees if the sun is out, it will lock up even before it finishes displaying the splash screen. when you can get it to work its a great camera, but overall its terrible. I got a second one for my truck and this time spent 4x as much on one that was very highly rated, top on most lists actually. the Nextbase 622GW. 4k which is great as I've found at 1080 like the Rexing you can't read a plate unless you are really close to it. but to my dismay this one also is far less than perfect. better than my first camera for sure, but it also locks up often. I look over at it periodically and frequently see the lights not blinking and the display frozen and buttons not responding.

has anyone purchased a dash cam that offers good features and high quality images that actually works?

I have no idea why all these manufacturers can't build a camera that actually works when you need it. and both suffer from the same problem, frequent lock ups. you would think any engineer designing a product like this would know to incorporate a watchdog timer (software at least, hardware far better) which would automatically reset the camera should it freeze, yet 2 in a row, one a $400 product, it doesn't make me feel Iike I'm protected out there.

I've used Cobra in the past.  Never had any problems with heat in here in the south.   They are fair priced too for what you get.

I have this:  Thinkware F800PRO 1080P WiFi GPS | Dash Cam | Thinkware USA

Mine is a front and rear bundle and OBD port for power.  

The only issues I ran into were created by myself.  I had messed up a setting in my phone which caused the app for the camera to not pair correctly to it.  The only other gripes is wind noise and its only 1080p.  I put a piece of foam over the speaker hole but I think its wind noise from the camera body.  

They make a 2K Thinkware Q800PRO 2K WiFi | Dash Cam | Thinkware USA  and  a 4K camera as well Thinkware U1000 4K WiFi GPS | Dash Cam | Thinkware USA

Edited by newdude

I design automotive chips and can tell you designing for high automotive temperature ranges is very difficult. The problem with most of these systems is they use commercial flash memory for storage. If it works at 75C your lucky. Compare that to a dedicated automotive memory they still work at 175C. The cheap Chinese manufactured ones will struggle unless they have a really good screening and test program to find the weak parts.

Kind of shocked by the off the shelf answers.

Viofo is great as long as you only want forward facing.  The rear camera is a dud.  I've tried everything outside of putting a Faraday cage around it and the cables.... it blocks things like TPMS and the keyfob.  Front camera works perfectly but would suggest adding the polarized filter

BlackVue also makes a decent unit but I can only go by hearsay

I'd love to see an optional built-in cam, I'd even spend $500 for it and not worry about it. I've seen some fall off windows during warm days. I've seen some have SD card issues.

I've been researching a cam as well.  Haven't used one until now, so I've been trying to learn as much as possible.  So far, I've narrowed my list down to two so far.  A cheaper 1080P model, the Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO+ (  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GV4DHYM/?coliid=I3T1CMX1QZSYQ6&colid=5JOFUPAEZFQ0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it ) or a pricier 4k model, the ThinkWare U1000 ( https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XD6FLSY/?coliid=IUFS08WW3Z19M&colid=5JOFUPAEZFQ0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it ).  My biggest concern so far, was mountability.  I don't like sticking stuff to the glass.  I've never had anything stay mounted properly, and reliably, long term, that is just stuck to the glass.  I was hoping for something that would mount similar to, or with a radar detector.

10 hours ago, Wiggums said:

I'd love to see an optional built-in cam, I'd even spend $500 for it and not worry about it. I've seen some fall off windows during warm days. I've seen some have SD card issues.

How do you think it'd be stored with a built-in?  Suppose you could use a full size SSD but if you're talking about a good 4K camera front and back, 500 isn't a stretch for one you stick on your windshield.  

Just be sure to get an SD card designed for the temps and lots of read/write

On 3/11/2021 at 7:36 AM, Rob Mugs said:

How do you think it'd be stored with a built-in?  Suppose you could use a full size SSD but if you're talking about a good 4K camera front and back, 500 isn't a stretch for one you stick on your windshield.  

Just be sure to get an SD card designed for the temps and lots of read/write

An ideal one would be able to stay on while the vehicle is parked, drawing little power and watching it at nights. Something that's permanently wired and not hanging from my front window like an aftermarket. Maybe a small one under the mirror? It can be done.

On 3/11/2021 at 9:39 AM, redwngr said:

It's not made for GM. I want something that is permanent, like in front of the rearview mirror and embedded in the walls, not hanging out like an aftermarket.

46 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

It's not made for GM. I want something that is permanent, like in front of the rearview mirror and embedded in the walls, not hanging out like an aftermarket.

Yes, they are available other places, but thought that GM selling them thru accessories might indicate that they should survive in the cab environment.

The ones available thru gm aren't the top of the line that thinkware offers. 

Perhaps a 'built-for-gm version' after the MCE expected for the 2022's.

Edited by redwngr

using a AUKEY in mine... and use the same model in all my cars.

link to it on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075S7W6FR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A1GB2I3NQT9NQC&psc=1

I have the cable under the headliner and down the A pillar on the passengers side, before feeding the cable behind the bottom edge of the dash and routing the cable to the glovebox USB.

I would recommend getting a 90 degree connector, as the cable that comes with the camera will get a little "kinked" when closing the glove box otherwise.

link to the 90 deg cable connection

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084WPG7QG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front camera WILL need a filter. The viofo clips onto the AUKEY perfectly!

link to the filter on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0KVD4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Standard memory cards will last one summer parked outside.

"High Endurance" cards will get a couple of years.

link to the card on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endurance-microSDXC-Adapter-Monitoring/dp/B07NY23WBG/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/140-3681450-1512527?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07NY23WBG&pd_rd_r=93c2560a-c581-4313-9e83-56afe89b7352&pd_rd_w=u067F&pd_rd_wg=1uIsf&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=NX8GAGXT7P71EWQHXYJR&psc=1&refRID=NX8GAGXT7P71EWQHXYJR

in the last 3 years these cameras have saved 10 times what ive paid for them in different events that have happened. *"they rear ended me officer!" and then i share the footage that shows they backed into me*

good investment

*NOTE:  if anyone is interested, I can snap a few photos and video tomorrow to share*

Thread with photos and video from the camera installed. <--- Click

Edited by pixelmonkey380
addition of request for photos and video