Need help with a p1415

Robert Bruffett

Question

Please Im hoping anyone might have some advice. I have a 1999 chevy silverado 1500 with 5.3L. I am getting the code p1415. I got this code when it was on non-op 4years ago now I'm ready to fix. It popped up with o2 sensor codes in which I changed 2 so far. And now I'm back to the p1415 after changing both check valves and feeling air blow through the pump. Right now I'm a little lost on what I should do next

5 answers to this question

Make sure  there isn't another restriction in that line. I'd remove the whole metal line to the exhaust manifold and check it, and the manifold port for carbon buildup.  xx15 is the driver's side (bank 1)- xx16 would be passenger side.

Another thing to check is if the pump is even working. It should come on with a cold start. If not, you'll need a bi-directional scan tool to command the pump on. It will sound like a vacuum cleaner.  If the pump isn't working, make sure it's got power, and a good ground - check them with a headlight, NOT a test light - they need to be loaded for a good test. Make sure it runs at full speed, and produces a good volume of air. A bad power OR ground can make it run slower than it should, causing this code.

Another couple variables - make sure the new valve you installed is actually working properly. Alot of the parts sold at your local big chain auto parts stores are sub par to begin with. On that note, also check the new o2 sensor's operation. I only trust Denso or NTK / NGK sensors - anything else seems to be a crapshoot today. If the sensor is slow to react, it can set this code as well. Make sure the wiring to the secondary air system is solid, and that any connectors are clean, not full of green corrosion crusties, and that the female terminal side of the plug is tight, with good pin drag.

On 3/20/2021 at 5:16 AM, Jsdirt said:

Make sure  there isn't another restriction in that line. I'd remove the whole metal line to the exhaust manifold and check it, and the manifold port for carbon buildup.  xx15 is the driver's side (bank 1)- xx16 would be passenger side.

Another thing to check is if the pump is even working. It should come on with a cold start. If not, you'll need a bi-directional scan tool to command the pump on. It will sound like a vacuum cleaner.  If the pump isn't working, make sure it's got power, and a good ground - check them with a headlight, NOT a test light - they need to be loaded for a good test. Make sure it runs at full speed, and produces a good volume of air. A bad power OR ground can make it run slower than it should, causing this code.

Another couple variables - make sure the new valve you installed is actually working properly. Alot of the parts sold at your local big chain auto parts stores are sub par to begin with. On that note, also check the new o2 sensor's operation. I only trust Denso or NTK / NGK sensors - anything else seems to be a crapshoot today. If the sensor is slow to react, it can set this code as well. Make sure the wiring to the secondary air system is solid, and that any connectors are clean, not full of green corrosion crusties, and that the female terminal side of the plug is tight, with good pin drag.

Thanks js I'll try those. I just got my other o2 sensors in. They are not those brands though. So I'll change them and check the pump and work my way from there this weekend

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 5:16 AM, Jsdirt said:

Hey js. So I replaced the o2 sensors on the passenger side. The brand is kax. The thread was melted on the output sensor but I got the other on somehow. Either way. Now on to the pump. I checked the pump. I took off the black rubber pipes and felt the wind first starting from the pump then took it to just before the valve. Felt it blowing a lot of air. It was humming pretty loud to from the air coming out. While it was on and the pump shut off I took my attention to check the valves and I can kinda feel air popping back when the pistons are firing or whatever makes it pop back there. Here's a couple of pics of the valves n stuff. 

16169052046333243745274101286836.jpg

16169052440731355032285893503439.jpg

I don't think you should feel any air from the exhaust side while it's running - could be a bad check valve there. I'm not super well versed on these bandaid emission setups since I don't see very many of them, so hopefully someone else will chime in ... that may be normal,  but since the pump is working, I would check for a restriction in the metal lines.

Edited by Jsdirt