Are every new 2021 Silverado/Sierra selling for over MSRP???

Liberals driving up the price of full size trucks is the funniest s* I have ever heard. The situation in CA has nothing to do with libs and is no different than the PS5 or ammo shortage. Simply supply and demand. As long as you have greedy sellers and impatient buyers, you have rising prices. My brother bought an Explorer yesterday and I went with him to the dealership. Not an F-150 in sight. F-250 had a whopping $8,500 market adjustment. Rangers has a $2,500 market adjustment. Crazy times. 

• Like 1

First post here. I’ve got a ‘21 GMC Sierra AT4 CarbonPro Duramax heading my way now — I should be taking delivery by next weekend. 

It kind of fell into my lap. 

I checked KBB to see what the trade in value on my ‘18 Yukon Denali was a couple days ago and just about couldn’t believe it when it came back $59k - $62k. It was worth like $48k like three months ago. 

I’ve been pondering getting a truck and this was my catalyst.

I went to my local GMC dealership and asked what they had — they had two Elevations on the lot and two trucks en route ...  a Denali and an AT4 (which is what I was after all along). And that’s it. 

The AT4 was only about a week out so I was super interested. CarbonPro too!

One of the Elevations on the lot had the 3.0 Duramax so I took it for a spin to see what this engine was all about — 15 mins of driving it and I was sold!!

I told them I wanted that inbound AT4. 

MSRP on my truck: $66,300. I got it for MSRP minus GMC incentives: $4,500 rebate and $250 loyalty rebate. 

Selling price: $61,550

They gave me what I wanted in trade for my Yukon Denali (I seriously can’t believe what these trade- in values are right now, it’s ridiculous) and that made it a done deal.

i am stoked for this new rig! Dealership called me earlier and said it should be arriving Friday or Saturday. 

I’m in Washington state. 

Edited by BabyMax21
  • Like 1

Yeah man politics have nothing to do with issue in auto market.. if dealers can get it they will, plain and simple....

Why won't you go out of state?...to save thousands its no brainer

On 5/15/2021 at 9:04 PM, waltchan said:

OP here (update)...

Unfortunately, this dealer has changed its mind now, and when I went back to visit today to make an official order, there's now a $5,000 mandatory markup over MSRP for each new truck ordered, and it is non-negotiable. 😠

Why is this happening... Too many Liberals in California have expired leases, so they need to get into a new vehicle fast, regardless of the higher price or markup. More Liberals are likely to lease instead of purchase, so faster inventory turnover rate. So, the extra $5,000 markup won't affect the monthly lease price that much, vs. purchase that requires a full sales tax upfront. With lease transactions, you don't need to pay the full sales tax upfront, so purchasing power is actually higher and easier for the (smart) Liberals. So, dealers decide to raise up prices after seeing this same pattern multiple times since early-2010s. They like lease instead of purchase transactions now.

Most southern California GM dealers have pretty much given up completely selling at MSRP exact only. They know people will always come in to buy at any price for new lease, regardless of markup or over MSRP, and they no longer need to chase any customer in to buy one.

You don't see this issue in a conservative, Republican area, right, where purchase is more popular than lease, so less turnover rate + higher new inventory = lower price?

Save us the whining. People all over are buying these trucks for less than MSRP. I've never understood why those who cry and moan about California so much insist on staying there. Probably for the same reason you can't seem to find a discounted truck, or in a nearby state.

• Like 1

Reynolds GMC in West Covina, CA will let me order a new Sierra today for MSRP exact. The sales manager who is an older gentleman told me that the price gap between supplier invoice price to MSRP is only $1,700 difference, and there's not much profit to take advantage of for the Sierra base-trim that I'm ordering with a 4.3L V6.

Is this my best route to go? Is the supplier invoice price the price that the dealer pays? Is this an honest statement made by the dealer? It does have the highest Yelp rating than any auto dealers (all brands) in California.

REYNOLDS BUICK GMC - 72 Photos & 240 Reviews - Auto Repair - 345 Citrus Ave, West Covina, CA - Phone Number (yelp.com)

Edited by waltchan

Just bought a '21 HC.  ACtually found it sitting on a lot at a dealership about 45 minutes north of me.  

MSRP - $4400 rebate +TTL is what I paid.  Nothing additional.  

Almost traded my truck in at the same time, but they weren't budging on their offer.  '15 SLT Z71 with 103k miles.  They offered $24k and kbb was claiming $26-28k.  So, no trade for them.  Came home and used the kbb instant offer option and got an offer of $28k.  2 dealerships called me within 10 minutes of posting so took it in.  Finally agreed to a price of $29k.  Yep, I squeeked another thousand bucks out of them.  

If I order a V6, will the order allocation be delayed or more difficult to be accepted, considering its lower demand than V8? How does dealer allocation works, and is my good chance better in a larger volume dealer or higher-rated dealer?

They can't even get the trucks they have built working to be sold on lots.....ordering right now would be a shot in the dark.....alot of orders have no idea when they will come......find one on lot is best option....you could be waiting forever......

Dealers only get so many allocations and for them to lose one on a base model may be a concern......cant believe everything they say.....alot of them said they could when in reality they couldn't or wouldnt.....but for sure higher volume should have more allocations..

Edited by Dunn

Could be worse my dealer a large Chevrolet dealer have any New Truck to sell due to the chip shortage. They won't even guess when they might get trucks back in stock. But they say it will take at least a year. They stock around a 100 new trucks at a time. They have 46 people that have a truck on order that may never get built. Now is NOT the time to go truck shopping. Keep what you have or go without.

Trucks are still arriving at dealerships here in Colorado, I spent a couple weeks searching stuff on lots but had opportunities on several inbound trucks that have already arrived. I found the truck I wanted in North Denver and got the $4500 rebates and another $3500 in dealer discount. Also got way more for my trade in than I could imagine! Bought mine from Autonation. I did see a couple dealers tacking on a $5000 market adjustment but I just skipped dealing with them.

1C3D816F-5CB2-4D8E-8CFD-E468F619965D.png

Edited by ColoradoCub

"Is the supplier invoice price the price that the dealer pays? Is this an honest statement made by the dealer?"

No, the supplier price is a fixed invoice amount depending on the exact vehicle configuration.  There is dealer GM (GMS) employee price, Dealer Invoice and Supplier.  Supplier is more then invoice and employee is less than invoice.  BUT the real price the dealer pays will never be known because of rebates (holdback) and incentives the dealer earns, which will vary by dealer.   Supplier and Employee prices, the dealer CANNOT bargain, GM has fixed those prices on the vehicle invoice and the dealer cannot vary from them.  But they can add dealer fee's etc that state laws will allow.  So if the state says a dealer can charge a $500 doc fee, then the most likely will.

Edited by elcamino

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a new Trail Boss LT.  Yup.  All selling over MSRP.  Finally found a dealer to get it down to $2500 over.  Best I could do.  I'm in Southern California.

Hello from Myrtle Beach South Carolina!  Was looking like crazy for a 2021 Trail Boss, but only found a few new trucks in the area.  The first dealer I went to wanted to sell me a 2019 Trail Boss 30K miles for new sticker.  Went to another, and they only had 2 new trucks similar to what I wanted.  Actually got about 5K under sticker.  Really wanted the Trail Boss, but I went with the 2021 Z71 RST Crew Cab with the following options:

• Z-71
  • Allstar Edition Plus
  • 5.3 (w/o the Dynamic Fuel Management)
  • Leather Buckets
  • Bed Protection
  • Trailer Brake Controller.

I am really struggling to find out what I would be missing other than a 2" lift kit, black grille and wheels, red tow hooks, and maybe step boards. I actually like the white on the grille.  If there are other differences, I don't know what they are.  They have a red one as of today.

TruckPic.jpg